Warning toxic antifreeze

traveler44

I bought some RV and Marine antifreeze from Walmart last night and looked at the label and it says "do not ingest-call poison control if ingested. This stuff is POISON so I thought I would warn others who are winterizing to read the label. The antifreeze I had before said that it was nontoxic. So I am going to take this antifreeze back and see if I can find some like I had before. I feel like this new antifreeze is just relabeled windshield washer fluid. Thanks Tom

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks for the "heads-up". I have not come across that before! Usually I just grab the RV "pink-stuff" off the shelf and never give it a second thought...I will read the labels from now on!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The hazard warning is most likely on all brands of RV antifreeze, either the ethanol based, or the polypropylene glycol ones. Drinking it straight out of the jug will probably give you a case of the Screaming Meemies (think colonoscopy prep). A quick reading says that ethanol based or blended products are not the best for RV systems since the alcohol can affect rubber seals and may leave a bad taste in the water system. If you blow out the lines in the spring with air pressure and then flush with clean water, you should be OK.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If is was the Super Tech brand RV anti freeze, It is mostly ethyl alcohol. I would think that on warmer days the alcohol could evaporate from the traps. It could be more flammable than the propylene glycol only type anti-freeze such the Prestone RV anti-freeze.

wyleyrabbit

I second the motion to have this taken off of shelves. I would hate to read that people were hurt over this. We've always "just known" that RV antifreeze is non-toxic. This is a potentially dangerous move on whatever companies are involved in selling this stuff.

porthole

Retired
There are RV and marine antifreeze jugs that look similar, but one is engine use only.

You should be looking for "virgin Propylene Glycol (30% Blend), it is tasteless and contains no alcohol."

Make sure you do not pick "ethylene glycol" based anti freeze for your potable water systems.

danemayer

Looked at the item on the Walmart website. It's clearly marked safe for potable water systems. Was this a fine-print warning somewhere on the label? Maybe we're all over-reacting a bit.

wdk450

Although I don't winterize here, I was curious about the subject and did a websearch. This section is copied from MaineRVcamper.com. Note the warnings on bad water taste (besides fire risk and rubber seal degradation) after using for the ethanol type. A look at the MSDS for the propolene glycol type showed a health hazard rating of 0 (zero).

RV Antifreeze - Not all Antifreezes are Created Equal
RV/Marine non-toxic antifreeze is probably the most misunderstood commodity in our industry today. There are currently three different varieties on the market at three very different prices.

Ethanol (alcohol) based: This type of antifreeze is most readily available in hardware stores and most RV shops it sells for approximately $3.00 - $4.00 a jug. However, this product is also extremely flammable and not to used around any sort of pilot flames or cigarettes. As well, this product has been known to taint certain RV plumbing systems and is only to be used with Quest or Pex plumbing lines. If you have ever used this product you will quickly remember how bad you water smelt and tasted the next spring. Furthermore, because this product is made from alcohol it works to dry out all the rubber seals readily found in your faucets and toilet. As a result we do not recommend or sell this product.

(I left out the 3rd type, which is a mix of the 2 listed types, and may still have the problems of the ethanol type).

Propylene Glycol based: This product is only available at your local RV shop (and not every RV shop for that matter). It sells for approximately $5.00 - $6.00 a jug. Like the ethanol antifreeze, this product is non-toxic and safe for all RV plumbing. However, propylene glycol does not have the same fire safety warnings, nor the risk of tainting your RV plumbing system. Furthermore, propylene glycol is a lubricant and will actually work to extend the life of the seals in your faucets and toilets, unlike the ethanol based products. This is the only product we use on our own RVs and the only product we sell in our parts store.

traveler44

NO! It says on the label that the SUPER TECH from WALMART is not to be ingested and if it is to contact the poison control center. I took mine back and tried to tell them that they should only sell nontoxic antifreeze for RV and Marine antifreeze. From the response I got it made me feel like you don't have to be very smart to be a Walmart manager. I bought the nontoxic type called RV Plus from Menards. I have seen a few times where I turned a water faucet on a few days after I thought it was all out of the system or flushed the toilet and seen pink. I don't plan on using any that says on the label that it is not to be ingested just in case traces of it stay in the water system after I think it is cleaned out. Tom

traveler44

If any of you think that RV and Marine antifreeze is to be used in the engine of the rv or boat then why wouldn't it just be labeled antifreeze or engine antifreeze. I just don't buy the fact that Walmart didn't make a mistake that could be deadly to the consumer. Yes the poison type of antifreeze is called SUPER TECH and I don't plan on using anything except the nontoxic type. Tom

JohnDar

I've searched WalMart's site for Super Tech antifreeze and all I come up with is automotive antifreeze in non-see through jugs. THAT is something you don't want to be using in your RV, even if it looks sorta pink/orange in color. Some time ago, auto manufacturers went to an extended life coolant (GM's was called Dex-Cool) that replaced the green stuff with an orange colored coolant. Still not the stuff for potable water systems.

Can you post exactly what the name on the label says?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I've searched WalMart's site for Super Tech antifreeze and all I come up with is automotive antifreeze in non-see through jugs. THAT is something you don't want to be using in your RV, even if it looks sorta pink/orange in color. Some time ago, auto manufacturers went to an extended life coolant (GM's was called Dex-Cool) that replaced the green stuff with an orange colored coolant. Still not the stuff for potable water systems.

Can you post exactly what the name on the label says?

Super Tech RV and Marine Anti-Freeze http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-RV-Marine-Antifreeze/17179674 Ethyl Alcohol based.

Prestone RV Anti-Freeze http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-RV-Marine-Antifreeze/16213488 Propylene Glycol

JohnDar

Super tech RV anti freeze is listed as being propylene glycol and non toxic according to the MSDS paper.

http://www.rsu19.org/assets/files/safety/msds/s/SuperTech%20RV%20and%20Marine%20Antifreeze.pdf

Traveler - do you have to SKU number by any chance for a look up?

Thanks for posting that, it's what I was trying to find. Use whatever you like, but I'm not concerned with this product (if I used it) when used as intended. If you still get "pink water" after dewinterizing, you're not doing it properly. I use air pressure in the spring to blow the antifreeze out of the lines and then run clean water through them.

evolvingpowercat

I bought Prestone RV Water Line Antifreeze at the WalMart in Manhattan Kansas, SKU 7 97496 86097 2. It is labeled: Burst protection down to -50 F. Will not harm plastic (other than acetate). Non staining red dye.

Labeled ingredients: Propylene Glycol (57-55-6), Water (7732-18-5), rust and corrosion inhibitors (proprietary).

The label says the product will become a slushy semi-solid at -2 F, but will prevent bursting to -50 F.

This also has a warning label: Keep out of reach of children. Harmful if swallowed. Store away from children and pets. Do not store in open or unlabeled containers. Call a Poison Control Center or hospital emergency department if swallowed. It has a child resistant saftey cap.

So Prestone even says Propylene Glycol based RV Water Line Anti-freeze is not drink-able. However, this may be due to their "proprietary rust and corrosion inhibitors", who knows.

I will sure flush the heck out of my RV when taking it out of storage next spring to make sure I get this stuff out of the system ! Note: That is exactly what the Prestone label says to do to de-winterize : Flush several times until all red color disappears, only then fill fresh water supply tank.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Just an FYI - if your system has PVC it can burst as low as -10 protection. So, if PVC I would use the -100 stuff.

I have PVC in the boat and I can tell you when it burst it sent shrapnel throughout the entire engine room.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350959477.458637.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350959498.835799.jpg

Here are pics of the back of the bottles. We had both kinds!

We have more of the Prestone, so will be using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Super tech RV anti freeze is listed as being propylene glycol and non toxic according to the MSDS paper.

http://www.rsu19.org/assets/files/safety/msds/s/SuperTech RV and Marine Antifreeze.pdf

Traveler - do you have to SKU number by any chance for a look up?

That MSDS sheet is out of date, Sept 2003. It does not list the ethyl alcohol version of antifreeze.

Here is the latest version dated July 5 2011.
http://msds.walmartstores.com/clien...c-a8ec-8e74da0c3cd3&action=MSDS&subformat=NAM