kitchen counter top extension

vgstef

I have a cyclone 3010 2013 and i like to installed a countertop extention like some unit do have. I do have the counter top pieces but not the hinges. I need to know what king of hinges are they using. Anyone have some picture of the set up.

Thank you

Stephan

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: kitcheen counter top extention

I had trouble with the factory supplied folding hinge. The weight of the corian when in the lowered position was too much for the design of the hinge and they broke. Repaired once but bent the 2nd time around.
I replaced them with the hinges in the pictures purchased at Menards. Don't know if you have access to Menards in Canada though.

Attachments

• IM000007.jpg
    IM000007.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IM000005.jpg
    IM000005.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 129

vgstef

That look better then what they send me. 2 small hinges with 2 bars.

ILH

I had the counter top extension added as a factory option on our unit (I believe the web site now shows it as standard). The hinge that was supplied / installed is very sturdy.

I'll try to get a picture and post tomorrow.

Ray LeTourneau

I had the counter top extension added as a factory option on our unit (I believe the web site now shows it as standard). The hinge that was supplied / installed is very sturdy.

I'll try to get a picture and post tomorrow.
They either changed the type of hinge or have lighter counter top material. My Corian extension is about 15 to 20 lbs. The hinges bent and finally broke while folded down and traveling. Harsh Roads!
The hinges I used as replacements fold flush to the side.

ILH

As promised, here are pics of the hinges installed by the factory.

Attachments

• P1020617_resize.JPG
    P1020617_resize.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 136
  • P1020616_resize.JPG
    P1020616_resize.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020615_resize.JPG
    P1020615_resize.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 116
  • P1020614_resize.JPG
    P1020614_resize.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 116
  • P1020613_resize.JPG
    P1020613_resize.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 104

Ray LeTourneau

Ian, those are the same hinges I had trouble with. My thoughts are the Corian is a heavier material that caused the problem. They bent and eventually broke at that bend just above the hinge point.

MTPockets

I see your 2013 Cyclone has the counter extension.. When I ordered my 2012 Big Horn, I asked for the extension, was billed for the extension, it was on the final window sticker, but I didn't get it. I was told that the extension was no longer available and the dealer sent me a check back for that option. .... I would still like to have it.... Anyone know if that corian piece is now available from the factory? .

SCPOBob

I see your 2013 Cyclone has the counter extension.. When I ordered my 2012 Big Horn, I asked for the extension, was billed for the extension, it was on the final window sticker, but I didn't get it. I was told that the extension was no longer available and the dealer sent me a check back for that option. .... I would still like to have it.... Anyone know if that corian piece is now available from the factory? .

While our 300C didn't have the extension, we asked the Salesman if we could order one...haven't heard back as yet, but would love to make the Mrs. happy with a bit more counter top.

Ray LeTourneau

Yes i will order some at http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=124 the color is white but it will do the job

thank you
Those are actually the same as the OEM brackets. They may work well for you but I suggest finding a way to secure the shelf in the down position while traveling. It may prevent them from bending at the top. Just a suggestion from my personal experience. If your counter top material is lighter than Corian, you may be safe.

Dale Smith

since we have now gone through our third set of factory supplied fold-down brackets, I stopped in at a Minard's store on my way home from Arizona this past week. They did not have two of the 12 inch brackets in stock so I ended up taking two of the 8 inch ones home with me to Canada.

The first two sets that broke on me were with my 2008 Big Horn 3055, which had be heavier chorion countertop. When I ordered the 2011 3055 Big Horn. It had a much lighter style fold-down countertop, but I just broke my first set of brackets on that one, during travel, over this past two weeks. I think I have had enough of the cheap brackets that Heartland is supplying.

Hopefully the 8 inch brackets that I have purchased will do the job to support this countertop. They certainly seem much more robust than the factory installed models.

In some of the pictures you show above, it appears you have added some wooden supports to the side of the counter in order to move the countertop extension out farther from the main countertop. Am I looking at this correctly? And if so were these wooden pieces required in order to get it to mount up properly?

Thanks!

Dale Smith