Thank You God for Not Burning Up My Truck

wdk450

Gang:
I thought I would share my recent stupid action that should have gotten my truck burned up and maybe me too.

I went to the storage lot the day before a campout trip to turn on the Bighorn's refrigerator. I found the battery was so low, the refrigerator logic board barely ran. So, I hooked up the trailer power cord to the Boily generator that rides ahead of my 5th wheel hitch in my truck. Everything ran O.K., and I found a couple of other maintenance things to occupy me for a couple of hours in the trailer. I shut the generator down, finished my errands and headed back home. Later that evening, I saw that it was going to rain overnight, so I thought I better go out to the truck and pull the cover on the generator. As I am tilting one end of the generator up to get the elastic-bottomed cover on the generator I look at the adjacent 5 gallon plastic jerry can of gasoline, AND SEE A HOLE MELTED INTO THE JERRY CAN'S SIDE FROM THE HOT EXHAUST OF THE GENERATOR!!! Evidently the jerry can was squeezed tight to the generator side, and I didn't realize the danger. The jerry can was more than 1/2 empty (so there was no liquid fuel at the melted hole point), and I must have turned off the generator just in time.

I share this (embarrassing) story in the hopes it might prevent someone else from having the same (near) accident.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hey Bill...most happy that the story has a happy ending! Glad everything is OK and you are alive and well! We have all had those "scary" lessons!

Take Care!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for sharing Bill. Glad all is good in the end. We also have the Boliy and I know exactly what you are referring to. I usually just move the genny to the tail area when needed, easier to access. Of course you know that now.:eek: