Burping Toilet???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK...need some help here! Everything was fine until about two weeks ago. Our toilet has starting burping everytime it is flushed; like it isn't venting or something. You can imagine this does not smell too good!

Have had toilets burp when the tank is full, but this one will do it even when the tank is completely empty. We have no problem with the tank emptying so this is a mystery. Any suggestions?:confused:

madigand

Mine only burps when about 2/3 full. I believe it is venting thru the bowl as the water level is above the vent. Might check the vent and make sure it is clear. Hope this helps

jpmorgan37

I would try pulling the vent cap off and going down through the vent pipe with a snake or something similar to see if you can go all the way to the bottom of the tank.

John

kakampers

Very funny TimK!! LOL....

I wish this think would wait till 2/3 full, like I said it is doing when it's empty. Strange part is it just started it...it must be a clog or something; might try the water hose thing see if we can dislodge anything!

Thanks for all the suggestions....might try eating more Bran...NAH!

slaytop

There might be some solids in the tank under the toilet drain pipe that are not dispersing with normal flushing. The tank does not have to be very full for it to cause burping if the solids have accumulated in the tank under the pipe opening. The vent pipe is not close enough to the problem to clear it out. The best method I've found is to stick a hose or sprayer directly down the toilet past the offset in the pipe and into the tank to break up the solids.

timk

You might try the old couple of bags of ice, and a wild ride around the block tank cleaning method.

kakampers

And the winner is SLAYTOP!!!

Thank You...you were absolutely correct. Stuck a hose down the toilet as far into the tank as possible and it definitely broke up something...which we won't describe! The burping is now gone.

TimK...if it happens again might try your suggest, think that would have worked too!

Thanks everyone...that's why I like this forum!!!

SmokeyBare

Mix a 1/4 Cup of Dawn Dish Soap with those two bags of Ice cubes and add some water. Do that rough and bouncing Road trip....

Shazzzzzzzzam !! Things get real clean....
For a while....
Then it starts all over again...

But hey.... it's all worth it !