Folding Dinette Chairs

BobnBet

Has anyone had a problem with the folding dinette chairs? We have two of them. When someone sat in them, the screws popped out of the hinge on one of them. They were stripped out.

jimtoo

HI BobnBet,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Contact your dealer for repair or replacement of the chair. Hope you have a great time with your new BigHorn.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

wildwolfproducts

You can fix them your self if you want to.
(1) Stick a toothpick into the hole or more then one. With some glue, this tightens the spot up and the screws hold better.
(2) Drill out the hole and plug it with a Dowel pin cut flush and glued into place.
(3) 2 part Epoxy filled into the hole, Run the screw into the epoxy before it sets up hard. Leave for a minute then unscrew the screw. This will leave threads in the Epoxy, thus causing a solid spot..

Not asing this to be rude, But was the person 2 heavy for the chair? Or had kids beening playing on it? Just trying to figure out why the screw came out? Have not looked ours over as last night was the first time we have used them. We had the kids and grand kids over for Baby Back Ribs and with 10 they were used. LOL

Hope the above helps you or someone out. The Toothpick deal has worked on doors and anyother place with stripped screws for years.

Last edited:

MTPockets

HI BobnBet,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Contact your dealer for repair or replacement of the chair. Hope you have a great time with your new BigHorn.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Yes, Heartland is good at taking care of these things. However, frequently these things can be repaired by the owner a lot easier than going thru all the returning and waiting - and, the repair will probably be stronger than the original. For what it's worth.

jbeletti

I had this happen once on a previous coach. The screws were just too short in my opinion. I sourced longer screws and replaced the them on both folders and no trouble thereafter.

Jim

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Just had the same thing happen to us! We did exactly what Jim did as the original screws were much too short. We replaced the too short screws with longer screws in BOTH chairs right away so that not to have the same thing happen again.

sengli

I have these chairs we have never used. I would like to pro-actively fix them. So the weak point is the hinge screws up toward the top?

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I weigh about 245 lbs, so I don't know if wildwolfproducts would consider me too heavy for the chair or not.

We had company recently, so we had the two folders out with the leaf in the table. I leaned over to pick up something off the floor toward the window side and those screws stripped right now.

As Jim said, longer screws looked needed and I did that and similar to what wildwolfproducts did re the toothpick and glue.

Then I folded them up and put them back in the closet where they've been ever since.:)

sengli

Well our rig is a 2013, so maybe they have changed something recently. The top screws in our chairs are shouldered metal machine screws. They screw into embedded threaded metal inserts. The chairs I have, arent equipped with wood type screws.