Riding out a hurricane in an RV?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Have any of you ever gone through a hurricane in an RV? We're currently in New Jersey and trying to decide what we want to go. And if we stay, what we should do to prepare. I'm not thrilled with our spot. We are surrounded by trees.

~Alice

Last edited:

ILH

My wife and I stuck out Irene last year. We were fortunate regarding no wind damage, no flooding and no power outages. However, if I was doing it again, I'd be better prepared (ie generator).

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Go west! This thing could be HUGE! Why take a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noobie

In 2011? I was in four seasons campground in southern nj (exit 2 on turnpike). Me and 4 of my buddies waited out that hurricane that turned into a tropical storm jacks down slides out and we had no problems couple trees fell in the park but none by us. Would I do it again? He'll no!!! I was scared out of my mind as this is my Fulltime home. I guess what I'm getting at is, if your going to stay put your jacks down slides in and prepare for some wind. If your gonna leave go west not north that's were everyone else is going.

It all depends on your comfort factor

RoadJunkie

The DW would never stand for "riding-out" a hurricane in our RV, and I would be right behind her! If I had the opportunity to move on, I certainly would. Remember there are no old, bold, RV haulers. Or, was that pilots? Whatever...time to move on!

Rodbuster

Being around trees can be a double edge sword. The trees can help break the wind, yet on the other hand any dead trees or dead branches could be big trouble.
If you do decide to stay and if it gets real windy, I would certainly bring in all the slides. This makes your unit a smaller object that would have "less" wind resistance.

As for myself,,,,, I Would Get Out Of Dodge.

Good luck and stay safe.
Dick

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
*sigh* I had a feeling you guys were going to say that. The trick will be convincing Eric. :D Not looking forward to driving down the road only to come back here. We're supposed to be here for a month. And if we weren't supposed to have company for Thanksgiving, I'd just head home.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Well when they throw me out of my house on Sunday I will be moving into the Bighorn. John and I will head to the transportation yard and park in the middle of the school buses. I left for Irene and the worst part was not being able to get home due to the trailer ban on the turnpike after the storm.

If things get too rough we'll move inside to my office but at least we will be able to cook and shower even if we don't stay in the camper.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Last track forecast I looked at had NJ lined up for a head-on approach by Sandy, not a coastal glancing blow. The jet stream is supposed to drag it inland on into PA and NY, rather than pushing it out to sea. Tidal surge will be pushed in by the storm, not dragged parallel to the coast. Personally, I'd beat feet out of there.

FlyerChief

Good friends of mine......full timers in a big Escalade pulled my an MDT....were staying on Maryland's Eastern Shore and just left for Tennessee. There really isn't anywhere to hide....if you're in trees, they come down.....if you're in the open, you can get rolled over very easily......en there's the whole rain and flood thing. There's a reason these rigs have wheels on them.....get to somewhere safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Okay, suggestions on where to go? South to Virginia? No offense to Pennsylvania, cause I love you guys, but I hatttte your mountains. We have family in Western Ohio.

jjriker

I was looking at the projected impact of the storm on weather.com. VA is a possible target as well. I think we would head for TN, or in that general direction.

Rrloren

Head to western Ohio, you can be there in one long day or by mid day Sun, and should be out of the danger zone.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Nice to think we could do that but we are a part of the emergency management evacuation masterplan and the school is an evacuation center. We will work through the storm. It will be knuckleheads saving knuckleheads!

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
You have heard from a lot of people here and have gotten a lot of good advice. Now for one more person. If you love each other and want to enjoy life to the fullest with each other then think of that other person in your life and think what if something happened to them what would I do. These things that some of us live in fulltime are not rated to withstand a hurricane. They are even worse than a mobile home (at least they are strapped down). My advice to you is to hook up and pull out and head west. Some one said to go to Tennessee and I agree. This might be the time to see Gatlingburg or go to west to Ohio and visit with family. The money that you lose at your present site is not worth the possibility of losing both of you or just one of you. Just my opinion.

porthole

Retired
This storm, now known as Frankenstorm, is being prepped for here on the Jersey coast as the 100 year storm (which we had back in 92 - Perfect Storm).

I would suggest since you are not local, to pick up and leave.

When the emergency management deems it an emergency, and they will, all non essential traffic will be banned.
Panic buying has already set in here. The local Costco was out of water, eggs and batteries by 1pm today.

If you decide to stay, max out your water tank and expect to have a loss of power. These storms typically knock out our power up to a week.

Irene last year did more damage inland then on the coast, and eastern upstate NY, VT & NH got hit hard.

This storm is expected to collide with an arctic front coming from the west. That is what is making it big news.

And just to add insult to injury, up to 2 feet of snow is forecast in West Virginia.

And now I am off to fill my gas cans. Will fill the trailer with water on Sunday morning.

iPhone using Tapatalk

dfk009

You have heard from a lot of people here and have gotten a lot of good advice. Now for one more person. If you love each other and want to enjoy life to the fullest with each other then think of that other person in your life and think what if something happened to them what would I do. These things that some of us live in fulltime are not rated to withstand a hurricane. They are even worse than a mobile home (at least they are strapped down). My advice to you is to hook up and pull out and head west. Some one said to go to Tennessee and I agree. This might be the time to see Gatlingburg or go to west to Ohio and visit with family. The money that you lose at your present site is not worth the possibility of losing both of you or just one of you. Just my opinion.

Couldn't have been said any better "Dr." Lee! Hope we get to see you and Linda at the Crossville Rally.

Don and "Dr. Carol"