Bought a New Computer

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I recently bought a new Toshiba computer using Windows 7 as the operating system and then switched over to Google Chrome for the browser. It does seem to be much faster but I am still learning to use some of the features.

My problem is that after I read a new post, it still shows up in a bold font, when with the old system, the post would go "gray" to note that I had read it. I notice that on other forums the same thing happens. I have checked the settings on Chrome and find nothing there and wonder if it something in the operating system that I can change?

It's not a big deal, but I hope someone with better computer skills than me can help me out. I'm sure that if my 15 year old grandson was here, he could change it in about 2 seconds

jayc

Jon, I asked one of the Geek Squad guys at Best Buy and you would think I asked him for the nuclear launch codes. He looked puzzled and brought up the same help screen and settings screen that I had done already and told me he didn't think it could be changed.

jimtoo

Jon and Jay, Mine does the same thing, has been doing it all the time, at least for the last 3 years or so. Sometimes it works for the first few I look at then stops. Sometimes it never does change. Running XP Pro on PC and 7 on Laptop. I think it's the forum operating system, but it don't bother me anymore.

Jim M

jayc

I'm on IE on the same computer with the same results. Just to check, I fired up the old computer and it worked as it always has, showing threads that have been read, so I guess it's something in the newer operating system.

wdk450

JayC:
I have pretty much the same computer, OS, and browser as you. I don't have this problem in the long term. While ina browsing session it will appear this way until I do a refresh on my "search" page (for me, "New Posts" under the "Forum" link).

Maybe it is some forum configuration.

olcoon

I've noticed the same thing on the old Dell (Windows system), and with the new Mac. I just figured it was something in the forum. I have noticed that sometimes a thread will go grey, but it doesn't always stay that way.

KaosAD

Win7, right click desktop, personalize, then left side bar at bottom, display, I bet your font setting is at 125%, if so, change it to 100%. Most manufacturers offer the highest resolution possible for the screen size and simply bump up the font size to make it readable. My 17" is 1920x1080 but is readable at 100%, you may find a smaller font size hard to read.

DuaneG

On a windows computer just hit the F5 button to refresh the page after viewing pages and see if that helps.

jayc

I tried changing the display from 100 (default) to 125 which is much easier to see and refreshed the screen but neither took care of the problem.

DuaneG

The problem is usually caused by a browser refresh issue.

I tested it on my browser and hit the F5 refresh button and it in-bolded the threads that I viewed.

Try clearing all browser data like cache and cookies and see if that works. You may redownload the newest browser version also to rule out corrupt or outdated code.

If not you may need an add on program to help. Most browsers have the ability to add additional programs to the browser to fix or modify browser functions. In the chrome browser there is an add on program that may be able to fix the issue and there are similar fixes with other browsers. In chrome it is called auto refresh plus and once downloaded will show up on url bar so you can turn it on when you want to force refresh on a web page. I also tried that and it worked.

Make sure you go to the new post area on the forum to test these fixes. Some browsers show the title a little darker than others so you will be able to test better on the new post area because they will all be bold.

wal_mart

I believe why it seems to sometimes work and sometimes not is because if there is no changes to that particular blog it may stay gray, if there has been a change it will go back to black to let you know an entry has been made since the last time you viewed it. Does not appear to be 100% all the time., was that way a while back.