Roof Ladder Supports

MTPockets

I have never been satisfied with the ladder on my Big Horn - It always sagged under my weight (225) and two of the plastic step ends broke (Heartland replaced N/C) Also, four of the bolts that hold the standoffs had bent. The sticker on the ladder says 300 lb capacity, but I question that 300 lb limit - I would put it more at 224 lbs.... Being un-successful in finding a good solution up to now, I ordered two sets of the stand-offs from Heartland (about $50 incl freight)and put them close to the existing standoffs. The ladder still sags a very small amount when I'm on it, but those extra supports give me some piece of mind when I go up top.

IMG_1317.jpg

rick_debbie_gallant

I have been giving this some thought lately. I am thinking about getting a small step ladder and some how attaching it to the bottom of the rig ladder and when I want to go up the ladder I will have the additional support of the small ladder on the ground taking on most of the load. Still working on the concept though. No pictures yet. For now I have one of those big giant ladders. Works for me. Another thought would be to attach one of the sections of an extension ladder and have it support the rig ladder.

GOTTOYS

I just use a small metal folding card table chair and a few wooden blocks under mine. Works fine. A small bench or footstool would work too. Easy to store and good for other uses..Don

CactusTwo

ya, 224 sounds about right, I was 250+ and washed the roof a few times, same issue. Now I am just saying " what the heck am I doing on the roof so often at my size, that is a small person's job!" wink wink
Len
2011 3950 Cyclone
2008 GMC duellie duramax
5th airbourne