Water Pump Problems

We have a Cyclone 3010 that we purchased a month ago. The Shurflo 5.7 worked flawlessly the first two trips we used it. When I went elk hunting the pump worked for two days then it wouldn't run. I turned the pump off and waited a couple of minutes. The pump then ran one time and I had to turn it off again to get it to run again. Repeat process until dishes were done. The next morning the pump would not run at all. Called my wife who was coming up and had her bring a new pump up that was in our shop (it was Sunday). This was a much smaller pump that I had bought a long time ago. I found a lot of clear plastic pieces in the strainer when I pulled the pump out so I tried running the pump by going directly off the batterys on my truck. The motor would not run! I installed the smaller pump. This pump worked for several days then started doing the same thing. I have checked the strainer. There was nothing in it this time. Seems the issue is not the 5.7, but something else that is causing different pumps to do the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Sounds like a power supply problem. Try placing a volt meter on the power wires to the pump, wiggle the wires and see if power is manitained to the meter.

danemayer

I think the strainer is on the input side of the pump. Pieces of plastic in there would suggest that you have junk in the fresh tank or water lines and some of it is getting to the pump, jamming it.

I'd suggest using the fresh tank drain to collect a few gallons into a pot. See if you find pieces of plastic. If that's what's going on, maybe it's possible to take the pumps apart and clean them out to get them running again. And you'd need to flush a lot of water through the tank to clean it out.

camr

Seeing as the second bump behaved the same as the first one, with no trace of foreign material in it, I would also suspect a power supply issue.
I suppose a quick test would be to connect the pumps directly to a known 12 volt source. Run a pair of wires from a spare battery directly to the pump and see if it runs.

I hooked the second pump up direct to 12 volt. It ran with no water lines hooked up. I also tested voltage at the pump with no pump wird up. I had between 12 and 12.5 volts with no 110 hooked up. Will have to try the 5.7 next to see if it will run now. Will also try tapping it with a board as I saw on another post.

porthole

Retired
The 5.7's are horrible and not made any more. Call shurflo before your warranty runs out and get it replaced.
The replacement pump is much better.

The 5.7's are horrible and not made any more. Call shurflo before your warranty runs out and get it replaced.
The replacement pump is much better.

I emailed Shurflo and they informed me that since the pump is a year old, and it is an OEM pump that they will not replace it. I have since tried tapping the pump with a 2 x 4 and then putting power to it. Each time I got a spark, and then nothing. I am just going to replace it. I have heard good things about the Aquajet 55 series, and I think that is what I will get as they have one with very similar specs as the Shurflo.