Access to Converter

jimcooper

Is there an easy access to the converter in a 2011 Elkridge 27RLSS? I need to check the fuses but cannot seem to find a way to get there. If I remove the distribution panel all I see is a jungle of wiring, which I am reluctant to visit. Is it just poor design or am I missing an access point?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am not real familliar with the Elkridge 27RLSS, but it is a fifth wheel so I am thinking that you sould be able to remove a panel in the basement to access the converter.
What problems are you having with the converter?
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place.

Peace
Dave

jimcooper

On my last trip the AC lights and the furnace motor began losing power with shore line plugged in AC circuits are OK. I want to check the fuses and also meaure the output of the converter according to the user manual for the converter. There a small vent cover on the basement wall which I removed and I can see the converter but cannot get to it. The way the converter is mounted the fuses are on the opposite side and I cannot see or reach them. I am considering cutting an access throught the basement wall. (My wife opposes that option). It seems that the designers of the unit did not think access to the converter would be necessary.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Again, I am not familliar, but I think you should be able to remove that wall in the basement.
Look closely for some screws. If you have a UDC on the off door side there may be a couple of screws in there that hold one side of a panel.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Jim,

Like most items behind the wall, the generally do not require access. A few screws and you should be able to remove the wall. Making that wall more easily removable is up to you. There are no operational concerns to improving it.

Once you get back there and test your converter, should the AC power cord and DC output lines be long enough, you may wish to consider relocating it for easier access to the fuse end. Should you ever accidentally short your hot and ground lines at your battery, even for a moment, or if you connect the leads backwards (cross-polarization), it will blow the fuses in the converter. Most people never have this happen - but it can. I've done it once in 8 years.

Jim

jimcooper

Thanks. I fianlly removed the basement wall which required some tugging. I tested the converter per the operators manual by disconnecting the POS and NEG wires. I tested with a multimeter and got no voltage. To get a second opinion I call the local RV service center to ask if they could bench test it to verify that it was indeed not operating. He told me that it had to be mounted in the unit so it could be tested under a load. If the maunfacturer says to disconnect the output wires how do you test under a load? It doesn't make sense to me. BTW I used a normal battery charger to the disconnected wires and all seems to be working OK. I am 99.9% sure that the converter is not working. I plan to replace it.

danemayer

Did you check the fuses? Also, make sure it's plugged in and that the outlet has power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Sounds like a failed converter. I don't know what load they think is needed. The converter should charge the battery even when everything is off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FARMER45

Company that built mine just replaced it free because it was less than two years old , call before you buy