PDA

View Full Version : Discussion about Convection Oven session during Goshen Rally

JJnVA
10-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey Jim, After talking with several other women Heartland owners who want to be able to use all of their Fiver kitchen features, we have a suggestion for a session during the rally: Ways to use the convection feature of our microwave ovens - for those of us who have the microwave convection combo oven and haven't ventured into using the convection feature because we need instructions from those who have done it! Maybe an informal roundtable type discussion with a session leader from one of the multitude of experts amongst us Heartland owners who always uses their microwave to bake, roast, defrost and cook all of their meals. Recipes to share would also be great. Many Thx for considering this.....Judi

jbeletti
10-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey Jim, After talking with several other women Heartland owners who want to be able to use all of their Fiver kitchen features, we have a suggestion for a session during the rally: Ways to use the convection feature of our microwave ovens - for those of us who have the microwave convection combo oven and haven't ventured into using the convection feature because we need instructions from those who have done it! Maybe an informal roundtable type discussion with a session leader from one of the multitude of experts amongst us Heartland owners who always uses their microwave to bake, roast, defrost and cook all of their meals. Recipes to share would also be great. Many Thx for considering this.....Judi

Hi Judi,

Are you saying a round table discussion amongst the ladies to chat about using the convection ovens with special emphasis on success stories, ideas and tips?

I think it's worth floating out there IF we can can a core group of ladies with success stories to volunteer as contributors.

Jim

Noobie
10-26-2012, 10:19 PM

I'm not a female but I do a lot of cooking and would be interested in this

JJnVA
10-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi Judi,

Are you saying a round table discussion amongst the ladies to chat about using the convection ovens with special emphasis on success stories, ideas and tips?

I think it's worth floating out there IF we can can a core group of ladies with success stories to volunteer as contributors.

Jim
You got my drift perfectly, Jim, on a round-table discussion! I'm sure we can count on enough cooks out there to share their successes with others.....including the male cooks! If you need my assistance in coordinating any of this before and at the rally, just let me know. Thanks.

Hockster
10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Why not try to set up a 1 or 2 hr. Seminar on Convection Oven Cooking.
This could be done by one of the Convection Oven Manufacturers.
If you could get a Chef, that would be better yet.
This would be open to everyone.
Many of us guys like to cook also.

Hockster.

================================================== ================================================== ================================

recumbent615
10-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Hockster.

================================================== ================================================== ================================

I like this idea too -

katkens-DW
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Would this include a 1/2 time oven too? If so count me in. Mine is a 1/2 time convection and a microwave and more some I have not used and would love to talk to folks that might have.

Bighorn55
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Would be very interested in this...we have the 1/2 time oven and microwave....we are hopefully going to be doing longer trips which would mean more cooking and less eating out. So I would love to get some cooking tips.

chasdvorak
10-29-2012, 12:45 PM
My wife loves her Half Time oven.....cooks everything from home made cakes to entire meals in that thing. Sometimes I think she likes the oven more than me.....but I don't complain because I love her cooking. I'm sure she'd be interested in attending a discussion.

Chuck

TXTiger
10-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I am a single bachelor and use my oven for storage. I do use my microwave a lot but it is not a convection combo. I don't cook other than BBQ or microwave, however, I would love to volunteer for this seminar as a food taster if there are any openings, lol lol lol.

katkens-DW
10-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I love my 1/2 time also but have never used the convection part!!

funlabs
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Count me in on a discussion on the 1/2 time. I, too, have used the microwave, but not the convection and I'd love to change that.

Deb Hazel

TravelTiger
10-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd be interested too. We have yet to figure out the "sweet spot" for its use.

Erika

klindgren
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Hockster.

Both Carol and I would sign up for this in a heartbeat!! We'd sure like to learn more about using the convection oven features. I really think this is important especially since so many of the new rigs come without a "regular" oven

2psnapod1
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Count me in...I use my convection oven quite often but mostly just kinda wing it. Went to a seminar at Lazy Days when we picked the coach up and that helped tremendously.

Herbiesrig
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Count me in also. I would love to learn how to use it as I have darn of a time trying to light that oven when Dan is not around.

VKTalley
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
I'd be interested too! We are getting ready to switch our regular microwave oven for a confection/microwave oven. I'm with Herbiesrig on trying to light the gas oven without Malcolm.

dklaw
11-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Hockster.

Hi, Jim--we met at Copake, NY regional rally this fall. While a round table would be good to learn from others who attend, a 1 to 2 hr seminar from the manufacturer, where we can get the most up-to-date information & can ask questions, would be ideal. Men & women, who cook most of their meals in their camper or those that want to learn to cook more meals there, would enjoy attending this seminar. I think it would be a very well attended by just about every camper that goes to the rally. I know I would because I seem to use only the microwave & not venture using the convection or half-time (what I'm most familiar with!!). Thanks so much for any consideration in this.

Kevin and Henny White
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
We're you next to us in Gillette . You brought over tv and had concert? R u going to Goshen ? If you are look for us we will be there love to have another concert.

jdfishing
02-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I know two gals that would love to sign up for a seminar on the use of a Convection.

jbeletti
02-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I would like to hear from as many of you as possible, what you want in a convection oven session. Please be specific in telling me what the ideal session looks like "to you".

When I have enough input from you, I can go about "seeing what can be done".

We've tried having a supplier come in, in the past to do something. It went over just "so-so". Some attendees were looking for:
- What is convection?
- How can it help me cook?
- Give me some basics on how to do this

Others were looking for:
- Tell me button press by button press how to do this recipe

Some wanted to know about Amana and Dometic ovens, others wanted to know about the Apollo Half-Time oven.

As you can see, there were different needs. In the short amount of time we had to do something, I'm pretty sure no one got out of it what they had hoped. So I don't want to repeat that as it serves no one.

I am wondering if the best thing to do, since we won't have sessions on different ovens and the one chosen may will not likely be yours, is to have one of our Heartland RVer gourmets do a session on using the convection feature. Just my thought is all.

So - ladies and gentlemen, please describe what you are looking for. Thanks!

Phatkd
02-09-2013, 12:33 AM
-How a convection micro works (I have no idea, and I am sure some others don't either)
-What kinds of items can be made using the convection (IE; baking bread, pies, roasts..etc) and what kinds of settings and times to use for the various applications
- A couple of tried and true recipies with directions, ingredients and prep and cook times as a hand out to get everyone started would be a hit I'm sure as well.

If we end up being able to go to the rally I will gladly put on an impromptu "How to" with our Vitamix (Soups, and more importantly cocktails) with tastings of course :)

Kris

klindgren
02-09-2013, 06:06 AM
-How a convection micro works (I have no idea, and I am sure some others don't either)
-What kinds of items can be made using the convection (IE; baking bread, pies, roasts..etc) and what kinds of settings and times to use for the various applications
- A couple of tried and true recipies with directions, ingredients and prep and cook times as a hand out to get everyone started would be a hit I'm sure as well.

This is what we were hoping for.
a) what is convection cooking
b) what to watch for when cooking by convection
c) a couple of recipes with detailed instructions on "how to" so we can gain experience by doing back in our campers

katkens-DW
02-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I have a 1/2 time convection oven I can use the micro. and the 1/2 time but the convection I have never used so it would be nice to have some thing on convection..

jdfishing
02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I think people have to understand you'll never satisfy 100% of the needs 100% of the time, so shoot for a broad overview of how a convection works, how it is different and some real life experiences. Then throw in some recipies from the experienced Heartland folks. Since there are a number of different brand ovens out there, a step by step approach will lose a lot of people. Participants should be familiar with their own oven manual. I personally would avoid a "roundtable" atmosphere. They can get out of control very easily and usually end up with little direction or results. They serve a purpose, but don't believe this is it.

2psnapod1
02-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I think that I round-table might not be such a bad idea...as it seems that no one is extremely comfortable using their convection oven. I use mine all the time...and wouldn't mind sharing my successes & failures. I've done some research and went to the convection oven class offered at Lazy Days...but wouldn't call myself a pro. Although I do think that someone should 'lead' the discussion...but leave it open for anyone to 'speak'.

Unless, of course, we have someone that IS really comfortable with their convection oven that would be willing to share their knowledge.

JJnVA
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
I vote for informal attendee discussion to get me psyched up on venturing into convection microwave cooking. I think that the "round table" discussion can work very effectively with a good facilitator (and that person is not me, unfortunately). What I am looking for in this discussion is tips and a guide to the best ways to use the features of convection microwaving from the experienced cooks who have used this method for cooking meals while camping. I'm not looking for an explanation of "what is convection versus conventional cooking" nor a step-by-step instruction on what microwave buttons to push. I'm looking for tried and true recipes that work well using convection microwaving - these recipes could be entered in the Recipes section of the HOC forum - then no paper or extra cost would be involved as people could pick and chose what recipes they want to try. Thanks Jim for coordinating this session as there certainly appears to be alot of interest! I'll be there whatever format you decide on. Judi

TravelTiger
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I think both ideas have merit!

I like the idea of a "professional" giving us the primer, what to look for, etc.

But a second session on another date (or immediately following the first one) could be a round-table discussion where experienced owners share some knowledge and what has worked for them, share their recipes, etc.

I'd be interested in both! We've got the Appolo 1/2time-convection-micro, and many times, oven use doesn't quite produce the desired results.

Erika