Headed for Houston in late Nov.

traveler44

It looks like we have to take I-35 from OK City to Dallas then I-45 to Houston. What is the easiest way to make the connection to I-45 and any suggestions on RV parks with easy access to the VA hospital on Holcombe Blvd.? We are usually Snowbirds in Fl. but this year we might have to be Winter Texans. I just looked up mapquest and it suggested a completely different route, from Illinois to Memphis to Texarkana and on down and that might make driving a lot easier. Thanks Tom

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tom,

There's no easy way to get from I-35 to I-45 except through the heart of the Downtown Dallas Mixmaster, unless you want to go wayyyy out of the way. Slow traffic happens pretty much all day through the downtown area, and lane changes are critical to get where you want to go. Signs help, but due to the curves in the highway, they are a bit misleading in some areas. Lots of drivers have to change lanes at the last minute. Take it easy and leave lots of space between you and car ahead. See downtown area map attached. I know this sounds bleak, but want you to be prepared. I drove the route through downtown every day for 4 years, until I quit that job in January. BAH!

DallasMap.jpg

osims

bsims
Lakeview RV resort is close to medical center. It's a real nice campground with a shuttle to the hospitals.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If I were going to make your trip here is how I would travel.
You didn't say where in Illinois so I started from Chicago.

South on I57 to Sikeston MO
South on I55 to West Memphis TN
East on I40 to Little Rock AR
South on 440 to I30 South Little Rock
South I30 to Texarkana TX
South on TX59 to Carthage TX
TX79 and TX149 to TX315 Carthage TX
TX315 to TX259 Mount Enterprise
TX259 to TX59 Nacogdoches
TX59 to Houston 2002 Holcombe Blvd VA

This is 1089 miles using MS Streets & Trips.
Outside of Little Rock you can stay at Willow Beach CoE Little Rock AR
Near Texarkana you will find a Shady Pines RV Park which is great.
Off of TX59 is Piney Point CoE at Queen City TX. It is also a nice place to stay.
South of Memphis we like T.O. Fuller State Park.

_To Houston.jpg

Willow Beach CoE.jpg DSC_2880M.jpg
Willow Beach CoE Shady Pines RV

traveler44

Thanks for all of the advice. It gives me more ideas of how to get down there. We found out we can take I-57 to I-55 and it goes all the way down to I-12 and we could go across I-10 and stay on expressways all the way until we get to the Houston area. The first time I saw the map showing Dallas I knew I really didn't want to go that way unless we have to.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are coming from Illinois going via I12 to I10 is the longer way. Go through Little Rock, Arkansas and then Texarkana and then take US59 to Houston. When in Houston stay on US59 to 288, go south on 288 to Loop 610, then west on Loop 610 to S. Main. Take S. Main to Hiram Clark. Exit Hiram Clark and you will see Lakeview RV Park on your left. U turn at Hiram Clark to the entrance to the RV Park. If you will be going to the VA hosp or the Medical Center let them know when you make your reservation for the medical rates. They do have a free medical shuttle to the medical center from the rv park. The park is beautiful and most of the people staying there are there for medical reasons. We spent 5 months there while I was undergoing my cancer treatments at MD Anderson. BTW Jim the manager there comes off as gruff but he is a great guy who takes alot of pride in the RV park. The one BIG rule there is do not allow your rig to extend over the grass.