Does anyone use a DVD recorder in their RV - need help!

Georgia46

HI, We bought the 3585RL BigHorn and really love it! We are TV watchers in the evenings, but love to interact with other campers & campgrounds so often miss our shows. We purchased a Toshiba DVD recorder to solve this problem, but I can't make it work in the RV. I'm fairly Tech savvy, but this has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated! :confused::confused:

Thanks,

danemayer

If it's a standalone DVD recorder, as opposed to a DVR like a TiVo, it may be a digital rights management (DRM) limitation that prevents you from recording copyrighted material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Georgia46

If it's a standalone DVD recorder, as opposed to a DVR like a TiVo, it may be a digital rights management (DRM) limitation that prevents you from recording copyrighted material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
OK, what can be done? I would doubt that it would be a DRM issue as recording TV shows is so prevalent. It is a Toshiba stand alone.
Thanks,

rick_debbie_gallant

HI, We bought the 3585RL BigHorn and really love it! We are TV watchers in the evenings, but love to interact with other campers & campgrounds so often miss our shows. We purchased a Toshiba DVD recorder to solve this problem, but I can't make it work in the RV. I'm fairly Tech savvy, but this has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated! :confused::confused:

Thanks,

We have on occasion simply bring the channel or network on line and watch the show through the tv via an attached HDMI cord.

Georgia46

We have the DVR hooked up to the TV using the HDMI slot in the top cabinet over the TV. It powers on & I loaded a blank DVD. I cannot get the menu to show on the TV. I tried just pushing record and I can see that something did record on the disk, but it won't play.

danemayer

Have you found the matching HDMI jack by the back of the tv to make sure there's an HDMI cable from there to the TV?

danemayer

I don't think Heartland installs HDMI to the TV - that's why I asked. They usually run rca phono 3-wire A/V connectors from the surround sound to the TV along with coax for the antenna/cable feed.

There's probably a strip of wood at the top of the TV, held in by 3 wood screws. With that strip of wood removed, the TV can be lifted up and away from the wall. You can probably balance it on the desk/counter. It's hanging on two brackets, so you have to make sure you get it placed correctly when putting it back.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Silly question but have you tuned the DVD recorder to the cable system or rooftop antenna? You have to tune it's tuner just like you would a television. Also certain types of media are different. Our DVD has a "finalization" process that has to be done before playback. Ours is a combo DVD/VCR by Panasonic. If all else fails, double check the owners manual.:eek:

Gaffer

Ideas:
1.Go back to the store or find one in another store and ask for a demo.
2.Bring in another TV. Even our little bedroom TV has a HDMI port, and use it to learn how.
3.Use it at home to learn it.
Post up what you find as I am interested in maybe getting one of these to record local channels outside of our spotbeam.
Good luck

Last edited:

danemayer

Another thought: if the DVR has coax in and coax out connectors, put it inline between the antenna/cable feed and the TV.