does propane furnace use any battery

CeeCee

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy our house is without power for maybe up to 10 days.Will be staying in rv and wondering does the propane heater use any of the battery to run.Any input would be greatly appreciated.thanks

wdk450

The excess usage of 12 volt battery reserves by the furnace is the biggest complaint about it. Most people say that it will use up your battery in 1 night.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The amount of time your furnace runs will determine the battery life.
If temps are in the 30's you will get about one night of battery life. Maybe more if your battery is in good shape.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jnbhobe

Thanks I hope that leaving my 5th wheel plugged into my truck would keep it charged

You may be able to get by doing that in an emergency, but you will most likeiy you will want to unplug it at night and run it during the day to charge the battery.

sjs731

I can verify that one night is all you will get from one 12v battery.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

The 40,000 BTU furnace in my Landmark uses 12.4 amps while firing and 11.7 amps when just the fan is running (13.0V). Based on the Ah rating of your battery, you could calculate the hours of continuous running until the battery is completely dead. I usually only discharge a battery to a max of 50% before I look to find a way to recharge.

Brian

wdk450

Thanks I hope that leaving my 5th wheel plugged into my truck would keep it charged

The way most trucks are wired, you will need to keep the motor running continuously to charge the battery continuously. You can check this with a voltmeter across the trailer battery. Take a truck unplugged reading, then a plugged-in motor off reading. then a plugged in motor on reading. If I am right, only the 3rd reading will be higher, indicating charging action.

Wharton

Get a catalytic heater, no power usage. Be careful to have a window cracked a little though our trailers are not air tight so I don't know if that is necessary.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Cee Cee, you will need at least a 3000K generator to run most everything in your coach. It will not run everything at one time though. Your 1/2 time or convection oven will take most of it when you use it.

pegmikef

Optionally,you might consider a cheaper smaller generator to just run your converter or better if you can find one that has a 12 volt outlet for charging batteries, and then just run everything on propane. . . . if the furnace is really your only concern.

wdk450

First upgrade might be more 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel with your main battery for more battery capacity.

If you are thinking generator, the main thing to think about is if you plan to run your air conditioner (about 2000 watts) on the generator. If you have a policy of "If I need air conditioning, I need electrical hookups" then you can get away with a much smaller generator like the Honda 2000. That will be enough to run your next biggest electrical load, the microwave. Of course it can also run all of your smaller loads like converter TV, and even the water heater, when the microwave isn't on. If you overdo the electrical loads, the Honda will simply shed the load (and you will have to go outside and reset it). You can flip breakers/switches to lessen the loads while you use the microwave.
The Honda 2000 is QUIET, light, fuel-efficient, and expandable (with a 2nd 2000 and the parallel kit).

pegmikef

The Honda 2000 is one I had in mind because it has a 12 volt outlet for charging batteries as well as the capabilities Bill Knight listed below.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The excess usage of 12 volt battery reserves by the furnace is the biggest complaint about it. Most people say that it will use up your battery in 1 night.

That is true. We found that out Tuesday night.

Does anyone know how long it takes to charge the battery via umbilical cord?

wdk450

Re: "Does anyone know how long it takes to charge the battery via umbilical cord?"

The progressive converter is rated for up to 60 amps charge current and will bring your batteries up to 90% capacity in 4 hours. Your truck umbilical puts out about 6 amps. Then subtract whatever 12 volt currents you are pulling with lights, refrigerator logic board, etc. You do the math.

The truck charging connection is intended to put SOME charge in your trailer battery for trailer disconnect electrical emergency brake activation.

People who REALLY want to charge their trailer batteries while travelling put in a high current, large wires, large current capacity connectors with large D.C. circuit breaker and isolator (see motorhome house battery wiring).

If you have an emergency situation, I might suggest using jumper cables from your running truck for an hour or so, and testing the battery voltage with lights on and a voltmeter, to get an idea of charge level.