M21 Battery Box

frano

Has anyone modified the battery box? Ours is located so close to the front of the trailer that the battery needs to be tipped about 80 degrees in order to be installed or removed, allowing battery acid to spil from the battery top. I thought I would slit the 2 sides down the front of the battery case so the front of the battery case could be flexed allowing the battery a better approach angle for installation/removal. Any thoughts?

Chumbly

I'm not really keen on the present system either...I was thinking about redoing the mounts, to get at the batteries easier plus perhaps putting another battery on there...

Yellowreef

I don't recall such problems. Then again, the one time I did remove one I took the propane tanks off first. Is this possible? I have an M18 but as far as I remember it is the same setup up front.

I have an M21 and replaced the original battery with golf cart batteries.

Due to the added weight also reinforced the battery mount with a center support.

The propane tanks have to be removed to remove the battery cover but do not have an issue with having to tip the batteries for removal.

Attached are pictures ......

Attachments

• battery and propane covers.jpg
    battery and propane covers.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 83
  • batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 89
  • battery cover.jpg
    battery cover.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 82

evolvingpowercat

I was able to fit two standard size 12 volt marine batteries on the OEM battery rack. It appears that Heartland had this in mind when they designed the front cap fiberglass mold. I have been looking for a 2 wide battery box but have made due with two standard battery boxes with lids trimmed to make them work with the two single boxes side by side.

I put a battery cut-off switch. So, I only have to mess with getting to the batteries in the OEM rack (which I agree is a pain) for routine maintenance checks. The cut-off just has to open up the current path, so I put mine on the left side in the white lead going to chassis ground. There was enough slack in that lead to just cut it and put the switch in series.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20920&d=1345834947

Chumbly

I have an M21 and replaced the original battery with golf cart batteries.

Due to the added weight also reinforced the battery mount with a center support.

The propane tanks have to be removed to remove the battery cover but do not have an issue with having to tip the batteries for removal.

Attached are pictures ......
Pretty nice looking setup with the lid...

This past summer did an extensive amount of driving on unpaved roads .......... the battery box now has a few holes punched in it from stones.

There were earlier posts about stone protectors for the front of the Edge. After driving on unpaved roads there are now (although you can not see them from a short distance away) light gray marks in the fiberglass gelcoat from stones.

By the way ........... the battery box cover I fabricated from a Rubbermaid type container painted with plastic spray paint ........

I like the installation of the battery cut off switch in the previous post ......

Although I realize now I did not post a clear picture of my installation on top of the batteries is a 150amp fuse that I can use to disconnect the batteries although I need a wrench ............ switch is a good idea :)

frano

Here's the simple approach I took to fix the problem: 2 brass hinges, some stainless hardware, and 3/8 plywood for added support. By the way, the original Heartland hardware was all rusted after 18 months and no salt!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    695.2 KB · Views: 70

Chumbly

I'm seeing in your pictures that the battery box is sitting on the strap that closes it... how do you keep the battery from bouncing out of the rack? I really hate those straps and having to climb underneath, almost, to do them up or take them off (I am medically challenged, and have my straps around the rack and battery box.)

frano

I'm seeing in your pictures that the battery box is sitting on the strap that closes it... how do you keep the battery from bouncing out of the rack? I really hate those straps and having to climb underneath, almost, to do them up or take them off (I am medically challenged, and have my straps around the rack and battery box.)

The plastic battery box is bolted in the 4 corners of the box, through the plywood, and through the angle that's welded to the trailer frame. The original factory setup used 4 self-tapping screws which I replaced with 1/4-20 stainless bolts, washers, lock washers, and nuts. That insures that the battery box is not going to fall off. Yes, the strap goes between the plywood and battery box insuring the lid stays in place, and if the lid stays in place, the hinged front panel is locked in place also. The battery sits in the plastic box and is basically held from moving within the box by the battery cables and the plywood shims I'll place between the battery and box when I install the battery in the Spring.