generator question

divedreamer

I had my Bighorn prepped for a generator. Does anyone know what generator comes when it is factory installed? I want propane and now that it is getting cold.... I hear that the electricity is sometimes spotty here in Tioga, ND. Also I see there is another Bighorn and a new Big Country in the Target Logistics Tioga man camp.

danemayer

Hi divedreamer,

I believe it comes with the Onan 5500 LP generator when factory ordered. It's equivalent to being plugged into 50Amp service and should run everything in your coach. If there's a power outage in sub-freezing weather, it'll keep your tank heaters running, and you'll be able to run the furnace without running the battery down.

Be aware that all large generators suck down quite a bit of fuel. You can go through a 40# propane tank in less than 24 hours, even running a light electrical load. If you think you'll need to run it more than occasionally, and you're parked in the same place for a while, a larger, external propane tank will come in handy.

dbbls59

I would think that you could order any generator you want. They will try to sell you a 6000 watt generator but unless you are going to run both A/C's on the generator, a 3600 watt will be enough. This will provide you 30 amps of electrical power and will be less expensive and use less fuel than the bigger ones.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We love our Onan LP 5500.
It is thirsty, but not really much more than the 5500 gas. Propane is currently slightly cheaper than regular gas where I am.
Plus you already have propane on board and they burn cleaner than gasoline, without the same fouling problems as gas, IMHO.
I carry an extra 20# tank for a genny backup and also for the barbeque. Trace

porthole

Retired
Given the option I would prefer a cyclone type fuel cell in any trailer I had with a genny.

25-28 gallons of gas goes a long way.
And right now, that extra gas is supplying my portable genny for the house.

divedreamer

Thanks everyone. Its 2 am and 0 degrees out and the electricity just went off an hour ago. I had gotten my truck filled prior to the first outage earlier this evening so I just had to fire up and hook up jumpers. There are about 70-80 campers in this man camp. I hooe tgey are all prepared. Now to the genny question. Are all generators wired with a harness that is part of my pre-wiring package?

divedreamer

OK to be a little more specific, are there other generator brands that are compatible with the harness and wiring that my Bighorn has. Not that I am wanting another brand, but I would like to look at choices to try and optimize cost, fuel efficiency and ease of installation. I am in a place where unfortunately I cannot rely on electricity and I do have chilly temps. I only want to protect my investment. And be able to keep my cool job of playing wit big tonka toys (in the colder regions of this great country. Off my soap box and back to questions. Is it possible to make this generation system automatic for when the power goes off and comes back on. I can have a week at Thanksgiving and it would be cool to be able to come and go and not worry about freeze ups. Back to the soap box. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all veterans and their families. Your sacrifice and those we have lost are what makes this country great. God Bless You and yours.

danemayer

You can probably substitute a different generator assuming comparable outputs to the transfer switch. The challenge is fuel supply. The Onan is set to use the existing propane system. If you stick with propane and have an external tank, you could run the genny for a good while.

You might be able to find an auto start system. I'm not familiar with them, but I know they're available for residential systems.

If its freeze ups you're worried about, leave the furnace on. If power goes out for a few hours, the battery will keep the furnace running for a while. A couple of batteries will get thru most routine outages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

divedreamer

Thanks Dane. I added a second battery last Monday. Am on the prowl for an Onan 5500. There are 3 now here in this park that have said they want to have one installed. The warehouse manager on this project has found someone in Montana willing to travel to sell and install this genny. We are hoping we might get a break on the price and get them installed. Happy Thanks Giving and thanks for the response.
Brad