SOLVED: Gas Valve/Relay/Burnt Wiring > Mud Daubers

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
We don't use the gas side of the WH much, but the last time we did, it made a woosh sound. shut it off and when to check it and found soot on the side of the trailer and on removing the cover I found burnt wiring and (I beleive) the relay plastic was melted.

The wiring looks pretty straight forward to fix, my question is the relay. Do I replace the valve/relay assembly or just the relay? I'm going to winterize the week end and might as well fix it at the same time.

I got real lucky on this, It could have started the trailer on fire.

Water heated is a 12 gal. gas/electric and has the anode rod, can't recall what make it is, will check after work.

wdk450

Re: Replacing the gas valve/relay- Burnt wiring

Being that this involves propane gas and flame, I would either buy a new water heater, or job this out to an RV appliance professional, or maybe a local Suburban Propane office.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas

Well bought the vavle/solinoid and the twist locking tab Saturday, now I need to make up the wires for it. I will check and clean the burn chamber and the air tube for muddobbers and spiders, before I try to light it up.

Vavle and twist lock was just over $100, alot cheaper that replacing the whole unit.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas

Thought I'd I give an update on this post.
Found that not only the valve was bad but also the circuit board. I have the wasp screen over the exhaust opening, but did not have one over the slotted opening on the left side slotted opening. Well mud dabbers got in and made several nests. I had a mobile RV repairs come out and repair the water heater (and adjust the kitchen slide.) I already had the gas valve, so about $250 later (including service call and slide adjustment) all is working again. Now I have to find a screen for the other opening.

wdk450

"Now I have to find a screen for the other opening"

Just get some regular screening, cut to size and secure it to the inside of the cover with RVers Goop adhesive.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I was having trouble last summer trying to run my water heater on propane (normally use electric). Burner would either pop and light or not light at all. Finally, no lighting at all. Changed the circuit board but that didn't fix it. Went to the gas valve and pulled the connectors off and reseated them. Worked fine after that. I've since sprayed a contact cleaner on them and it worked fine a week ago when I tested it again after the winter.

So, before spending a lot of money on new boards and valves, try cleaning the contacts.