Induction Cooktops

wdk450

Gang:
Does anybody use one of these, and are you happy with it? I looked at these at Quartzsite and they wanted $84 for one. Now the TV infomercials gets you 2 plus some of the green cookware for around $100.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, I was able to edit the title so I deleted your correction post.
Regarding Induction Cooktops. Never seen one. Got a link?

wdk450

Bill, I was able to edit the title so I deleted your correction post.
Regarding Induction Cooktops. Never seen one. Got a link?

Ray:
Here is a link to the one I am interested in (I plan to either keep the 2nd one at home, or give it to my "chef" daughter): https://www.nuwavepic.com/

These "burners" send out a high energy AC magnetic field that causes heating in conductive metal pans, but not on the surface of the "burner".

If you Google the term you will see a lot of them.

jbeletti

Bill,

In our new home, I put in a 36" induction cooktop. We love it. In fact, while not for everyone's camping style, I'd love to have one in the RV. Need to use pans with steel bottoms. Good excuse to buy a new set of cookware :)

Rodbuster

Just a heads up for anybody looking to purchase a product from those infomercials.
"Before" you buy anything, check out the shipping charges on the units and also on the "free extra cookware". It will scare the jeebees out of you.

Dick

archbarb

Beware and do your homework...the induction cooktops require a lot of amps...a precious commodity in any RV. I concur with Jim about the cookware...just know you will pay more for good induction cookware. I bought a set at galleyware.com that has the detachable handles so that it "nests" easily. I would really like to have induction inside the RV or a portable unit...just don't like the amp usage.
Barb

hoefler

Beware and do your homework...the induction cooktops require a lot of amps...a precious commodity in any RV. I concur with Jim about the cookware...just know you will pay more for good induction cookware. I bought a set at galleyware.com that has the detachable handles so that it "nests" easily. I would really like to have induction inside the RV or a portable unit...just don't like the amp usage.
Barb

Contrary to belief, they are low amp usage. Been using a single burner unit in our Landmark for the last 3 1/2 months. Wife loves it!! Keeps the moisture down, cooks quicker and more efficiently. Has not once tripped the breaker it is on with a space heater. But beware, when we bought one for the house, it did require us to buy all new "MAGNETIC" cookware!!!!

wdk450

Contrary to belief, they are low amp usage. Been using a single burner unit in our Landmark for the last 3 1/2 months. Wife loves it!! Keeps the moisture down, cooks quicker and more efficiently. Has not once tripped the breaker it is on with a space heater. But beware, when we bought one for the house, it did require us to buy all new "MAGNETIC" cookware!!!!

Yeah, I went around and tested my good hard anodized aluminum cookware with a magnet - no stickee!! They make an adapter plate for about $35 that is steel and heats up from the induction current, and you can put ANY cookware on top of that. Right now, the shipping charges on the TV offer cooktop sets kills that. Some reasonably priced other brands on WalMart.com and Amazon, with high user ratings.
The highest wattage standard cooktop is 1800 watts on full power, and works on a normal 15 amp AC circuit. There are some bigger "commercial grade" ones out there, and they cost a lot of bucks.

Edit: Although a magnet won't stick to my cookware, it carries the "Induction Compatible" symbol on the bottom - sort of a spiral.

I can always use my black iron frypan and grillpan with the induction cooktop.

Last edited: