New mattress suggestions

mjd

We have had our 2012 MPG 181 since fall of 2011 and have taken two 6 week trips to Canada.Other than a few small problems on our first trip it has been smooth sailing. One problem that has not resolved itself is the mattress - its fine for the first two weeks but even with a topper ( second trip) it becomes too uncomfortable. Has anyone else replaced the mattress and do they have recommendations.This is our second post - the first one from last week disappeared.Hope this one is posted.We have been lurkers on this site for years and were disappointed to have our first post rejected.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mjd, Your first post is HERE, I don't understand why you aren't seeing it. I don't see any replies, probably because no one has ever not needed their bathroom. I know we've had a few travel trailer that the shower/tub was used more for "stuff" than taking a shower. They are pretty small.
Regarding your mattress, you'll have to measure and go shopping. Try Googling custom mattresses and you may be able to find something but you won't be able to tell how comfy it would be. Verlo makes custom sized mattresses so you may be able to find a Verlo store near you. You can test their offerings and have the same one built to your specs. Good Luck with your search and welcome to the Heartland Forum.

evolvingpowercat

I got a 4" memory foam topper at Wal-mart that I put over the top of the OEM foam mattress that greatly improved things in my Edge. It is a full queen so is 4" longer than the RV Queen. I used a couple of the long pool tubes to lengthen the OEM foam mattress rather than trim the topper.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We had a all natural foam rubber mattress made 71"x82". One inch narrower so it would slide out easier. Had it made January 2010 and we really like it. It does not have any springs.

Here is the website. http://www.sleepcraftmattress.com/

I believe they will send it to you...

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
.This is our second post - the first one from last week disappeared.Hope this one is posted.We have been lurkers on this site for years and were disappointed to have our first post rejected.
Click on your user name. There you will see 'View Forum Posts'.
Your first post has had 28 views, just no replies.

Peace
Dave

TXSWICK

In our 185 we tried several things including toppers etc. However we have finally found that the Coleman Queen air mattress is the best for us - Since we never use the couches and table we leave the area made for a bed all the time. The air mattress is great and we usually re-air about every 4-5 days - that way I can move the deflated mattress to clean/vacuum the cushions etc - the air it back up - We are very pleased with this avenue for us.

kb0zke

The first night in our 181 we slept in sleeping bags on the original mattress. For our first trip, though, we put sheets on it. That trip was supposed to be three weeks long, but got interrupted part-way through by our daughter's surgery. We added a mattress topper we already had, since we were home anyway, and that helped. Making the bed was still a royal pain, so now we're back to sleeping bags on top of the foam topper. Quite comfortable and much less work.

Of course, we've made our decision on what sort of coach we want for our full-time coach, and one requirement is a standard queen bed. We'll replace the mattress that comes with the coach with a new one no matter what's already there.

dbbls59

In our previous unit we replaced the mattress with one exactly like the one we had at home. It felt the same whether I was at home or camping.

Tool958

We bought a Bed in a Box. It was the 13" Pacbamboo mattress in the RV queen. We had it in our last SOB and moved it to our Cyclone. That was over 5 years ago and it has held up very well. I was a bit scepticle about it when I first heard about them, but several on other forums swore by them. We have been real happy with ours.

madigand

We went to a local mattress maker. They made a new one with pillow top. Was cheaper than a new RV mattress most places sell and a whole lot better. Try goggling mattress makers in your area.