I know this is overkill but you never know!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 dually

So my question is going to be about the difference in rear end gear ratios as it pertains to MPG.
Our current 1/2 ton hemi dodge is getting old and tired much like myself, so it is time to retire it. I have decided to get a 2012 Dodge Bighorn... 3500 dually crew cab 4x4 long box. According to Dodge's brochure, there is a significant difference in towing capacities between the 2 rear end options 3.73 or 4.10. I am towing a North Trail 21fbs. travel trailer / 6,500 pounds. Yes I know it's overkill, but it will likely be the last truck I ever buy and although we are happy with our North Trail, you never know if a Bighorn might be in the future. We like to spend a lot of time in the mountains (& the possibility of moving up to a bighorn trailer) therefor the 4.10 seems appealing. Considering that I am pulling such a light trailer for a truck like this, what do you suppose the difference in MPG might be between the 2 different rear ends? And what kind of mileage might I expect to get in general? Looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks
Bret

Last edited:

billnsue

Re: Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 dually

Bret, I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 SRW with 4:10. I pull the bighorn 3670RL and get between 10-11 mpg.
empty running around averages around 16.5 mpg. I'm sure the 4:10's have a lot to do with that but like having the tow capacity when I need it. Love the truck and she does everything I expected.

danemayer

A 3500 diesel dually with 3.73 should be more than you need to tow anything Heartland makes, or is likely to make. The 4.11 would be expensive overkill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

My truck has 4.30's. According to the dash I'm getting 11.1 mpg towing and you've seen the type of hills we have around here. My way of thinking is I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

We have a 2012 3500 Dodge Laramie dually with the max tow package. That includes the 4.10 rear end, dual tranny coolers and cooling fins on the differential among other things. Surprisingly enough, I get the same mileage as my '05 1500 quad cab hemi Dodge.
The new truck only has 5000 miles on it and everyone tells me that I can expect a noticable improvement in mileage after it 7000 or so miles on it.
Pulling the Cyclone (18,000 lbs) we getting consistent 9.3 and empty at 70mph we get 16.5
I don't think you'll see too big of loss in mileage between the 3.73 and 4.10 as what you lose in higher RPM is somewhat made up by the reduced load on the engine.
Most anyone looking at a used 3500 dually is looking to tow something big with it. The Max Tow package was $595 on the sticker! That gives you the highest towing capacity available.

jnbhobe

Bret, what you will gain in mileage with 3.73s is not worth what you will loose in performance, the 4.10s work great in the mountains. I changed my 06 Ford from 3.73s to 4.30s and actually had an increase in towing mileage. I tow in the Pa mountains a lot.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I might plan on changing my 07 Ram to 4.10s. It will all depend on how large our next 5er will be. There is a 2500lb difference between ratios and that will allow us to move into the larger units. The new Ram tow capacities are to be greater than those of a few years ago, so the 3.73s might be all you need, but with only 15000 miles on my Ram, I'm going to keep it for awhile. The gear change is alot cheaper than a new truck.

My Thoughts......You can never have enough truck and enough tow capacity.
Good Luck

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Dan... The difference in price between the 2 is only $50.00 when new according to Dodge's build a truck application on their website.

A 3500 diesel dually with 3.73 should be more than you need to tow anything Heartland makes, or is likely to make. The 4.11 would be expensive overkill.

danemayer

Dan... The difference in price between the 2 is only $50.00 when new according to Dodge's build a truck application on their website.

Thinking more about operating expense. Whatever the difference is will get paid every time you fill up. I don't know how big the difference is, but my uninformed guess would be that if it were minimal we'd all have 4.10s and there'd be no 3.55s offered.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
That's a good point Dan, too bad they don't put together a comparitive spreadsheet showing what RPM you would be turning in what gear based on rear end ratios. I'll bet they have all that information in some engineer's file folder. It could give you some idea of fuel consumption before all other variables being factored in.
Thinking more about operating expense. Whatever the difference is will get paid every time you fill up. I don't know how big the difference is, but my uninformed guess would be that if it were minimal we'd all have 4.10s and there'd be no 3.55s offered.

TheLindsays

You only live once... we have 3 Fords that are all fuel hogs... even our daily trucks are a super=charged 2003 Lightning and a 94 full sized Bronco.. when I have some one that of course drives a more fuel efficient vehicle ask me why I drive something that uses so much fuel with the prices of gas now ... I respond by telling them it is my entertainment expense... I love driving our trucks every day ... as you can see by the ages of ours except the new one ... we always buy to keep for long term so we get our moneys worth... it equals pennies a year to feel safe and enjoy every minute of your drive as well as meet any needs that may arise. ... as the saying goes..... go big or go home!

GOTTOYS

In order to compare apples to apples you need to compare Dodge Rams only. The gear ratios in the transmissions in Fords and GMs are altogether different than what Chrysler uses and what works good in one may not work well in another. IE: Ford uses a 3:31 ratio in the rear that works well. In a Ram you can get 4:10, 3:73 and 3:42. The most common is the 3:73. The 20" tires on a Ford have a different diameter than the 17" on the Ram which also affects the final drive ratio. I have 3:73 gears in my 2010 Ram. I have never lacked pulling power and would probably get them again even though the 4:10 ratio is rated to pull more. For overall driving I average around 15.5 mpg and have gotten 17-18 mpg on the highway. I get anywhere from 9.5-11.5 towing my Big Country depending on the wind and the speed. I myself, would wait and get a 2013 Ram which is expected to have a much larger towing capacity, more power and somewhat better fuel economy..Don

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a 3.73 rear end in my '10 Ram 3500 DRW and have plenty of truck to pull the Landmark. I get a consistent 10-12 mpg towing and 18-20 dead heading on the highway. I thought about a 4.10 gear when I bought this one but couldn't locate one at a dealer and am glad I got this one.

hoefler

The Rams with the 6.7 engine, I have found that the sweet spot is between 2,000 and 2,200 RPMs. My 08 had 3.73s, my 2010 has 4.10s. Both dual wheel, 4x4, long bed, Big Horn/Long horn packages, and 08 had quad cab, 10 has crew cab. Neither had any mods to the engine or drive train. At 2,200 rpm, the 08 would run 76 mph, the 10 will run 72 mph. Both have hauled our Landmark very well. The 10 gets about 1 mpg better than the 08 running the same speed on the same highway. The 10 has an easier time towing on the same routes we have used. If you ever get caught in a 40 mph head wind, as we have, the 4.10s will be worth every penny you have spent on them.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors

Thanks for all the replys everybody, so do I try to steal a 2012 (negotiate the year end inventory clearance) or wait and pay the extra and get a 2013 come Jan. / Feb. when they are projected to hit the lots?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It's not a rumor. All Ram diesels will use DEF when the 2013's come out. Also with upped horsepower and torque rating and of course, better tow ratings.

jnbhobe

I would go with the 13 for the higher gvw the def is not a problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
4.10's all day long. here is the reason. I have to assume the truck tire is 31" OD on the dually.

But the 68RFE 6th gear is a 0.62 ratio.

at 70mph you are turning 1755rpms with 3.73
at 70mph you are turning 1929rpms with 4.10

You will burn more diesel with a heavy load at 1750 rpms vs at 1930 rpms. You are lugging that engine with that low of engine rpms. 2,000 rpms with a cummins is a very good sweet spot for towing.

That is less then 200 rpm difference. Unless you drive empty at 80 mph everywhere you probably wont even notice a difference in fuel mileage.

I hate the idea of having to shift a transmission manually by keeping it in 5th gear. That is not a valid point for me. I would rather have it gear to do what I need it to do then to have to assist it to do what I need it to do. If you are buying a pickup and concerned about MPG then find a new hobby. Set the truck up properly so it performs as needed.

If they have a 4.30 option I would be more keen in those gears vs the 4.10 gears.

Here is the Calculator that I use
http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx