Multi-switch setup for Winegard SK-3005 ka/ku satellite dish

Thanks to those involved in an earlier thread pointing to the online prewire diagrams for the new RVs: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/33786-Prewire-schematic-for-the-Winegard-Traveler

I have a more technical question. I have not yet installed my Winegard SK-3005 DIRECTV Slimline system, but it looks easy enough to do myself except for the problem of having enough RG6 lines to support DVRs at each of two locations (two lines required end-to-end or one from a multiswitch). I can see three ways of doing but I'm not sure which is easier, so I'm interested in other people's opinions:

1. Fish 2 extra RG6 wires all the way from the Winegard prewire location to each of the DVR locations (either directly or via the UDC).

2. Fish 2 extra RG6 wires from the Winegard prewire location to the UDC and use a Multi-Switch (e.g., Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z) so that no other fishing (to living room and bedroom) is necessary. How difficult would such fishing be?

3. Install the MS6X8WB-Z multiswitch on the roof (it's waterproof) alongside the Winegard and do the switch up there. No fishing required but one more item on the roof. Seems feasable.

Method 1 seems like the most amount of work effort, but probably what many professional installers would do. I think 2 or 3 would be better. One more trade-off trying to get a third or fourth DVR installed (e.g. external). Some fishing would be required so I'd be curious if such fishing would be easier from the UDC (method 2) or from the roof (method 3). Directly from the roof might be easiest for my Big Horm 3370RK since the existing exterior cable outlet is not that far away, in a storage compartment.

Suggestion and opinions, anyone?

Cheers!

Ron

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi rverstappen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here along with a bunch of helpful people.

I'm not sure how solutions 2 or 3 help you. The additional switch would seem to add receiver capability, but I think you would still need the extra coax to the receivers. It's probably not too hard to run additional rg6 from the UDC to the bedroom and living room. I added lines to my rear entertainment center by running them along the frame and up through the corner.

But the solution you really want is Single Wire Module (SWM). With SWM, you only need a single coax line to the DVR. The Wineguard 3005 calls itself a multiswitch, but I would call Wineguard to see if an SWM LNB can be substituted; either by them or by you. From a SWM LNB, you would have one output at the LNB. I wouldn't try this yourself unless Wineguard says it will work - there could be issues with the satellite aiming if you change LNBs.

A powered switch for SWM gets installed in the UDC and you can then use the existing RG6 to Living Room and Bedroom DVRs. Both tuners will run off of one connection. You need SWM-compatible DVRs like an HR24-500.

gbrakel

I can't really comment on 1 or 2 as I have no experience fishing cable in my 5th wheel and am reluctant to try without knowing exactly where everything else is in the ceiling and walls. Number 3 should work based upon the instructions from Winegard at http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf. I am interested if anyone has tried it for the Trav'ler 3005 with two receivers.

Dan and/or Ann, thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear and mentioned SWM explicitly. My solutions 2 & 3 are actually SWM solutions as the MS6X8WB-Z provides the multi-switch. So, I think you are advocating my solution #2. Cheers!

Thanks for the link, gbrakel. I had not seen this document before. The MS6X8WB-Z provides the same functionality as the SWM8, but the Winegard package is probably a safer solution since they offer it themselves. My #2 & #3 would both use this SWM setup. The difference is its location and the need to fish wires from the roof to the UDC and/or my end devices through my RV. Cheers!

danemayer

If the LNB is SWM, you can put the switch in the UDC and you'll have the prewired feeds to bedroom and living room and it should give you DVR capability at each receiver.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD