Honda 2200X worth hauling around?

traveler44

I picked up an old Honda 2200X generator cheap and got it running. I just wondered if it is worth hauling around. It is rated for 16.7 continuous amps and has two 110v outlets. I see by the 09 Bighorn owners manual that the roof A/C and the microwave draw 15 amps each the charger takes 14 amps and the water heater draws 12 amp. If I were to use this generator would I have to wire it in somehow or just get an adapter to plug my 30 amp power cord in to one of the 110v outlets on the generator? If I were to try to use this Honda can the converter- charger kick in and draw power down from the A/C or the microwave if I had one of them turned on? Thanks--Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, you can use your dog bone with an adapter to plug into the genny.
You will not be able to run all of those things. In fact just having the converter will just about max it out. Anything else added will over load it.
Plug in and test it. You will find out what will and will not work for you.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

You can run the water heater and refrigerator on 12v/propane to reduce load on the generator. I think the power converter that charges the battery has a variable load depending on battery charge and what 12V things are running. More lights = more power. Charged battery = less power draw from the genny. If the A/C runs at all, it'll be right on the edge and probably won't stay on. Microwave is probably right on the edge also.

wdk450

That converter amp rating is a MAXIMUM (like with dead batteries), and normal useage will be a lot less than that.
If hauling it around, the generator noise, and hauling around jerry cans of gas, is not too great an inconvenience, I would say go for it. If your batteries are down and you can't raise your landing gear, or put in your slides, you will wish you had a source of AC battery charging power. If your batteries are down, your refrigerator won't work in any mode. Having the freedom if you are stuck anywhere to run your microwave, turn on a TV, charge your phone, etc is great.

I would run everything I could on propane (refrig, water heater) to preserve the generating capacity.

With the cost of fuel, and the added cost for a generator big enough to run the AC, I think your Honda is OK in size until you need to run the AC. Then get yourself to a place with 30 amp electrical hookups. I ran my economy generator with my AC during the summer as a test. It burned 4 gallons in 4 hours. That would be about $32 an 8 hour day in fuel per day.