Damage to Front Cap on Big Horn

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
In the attached pictures you will see a small hole and several cracks to the front cap of our 2012 Big Horn. THe ares is around the center marker light on the front top edge of the cap. The dealership is stating that these were caused by me hitting something or road debris and they Heartland will not cover the repairs. I have to take it to a body shop and the estimate offered to me from the dealerships recommended body shop is $800. Now my question to my fellow HOC members, Do you fell they are correct in calling this road debri or something I hit, neither of which I recall and seeing its location how could it be such. There is no further damage past the site in question as you can see in the pictures backround. I feel there is a weak area in the cap and flaw in craftsmenship and it is a Heartland responsibility

View attachment 22003View attachment 22004

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Damage to Fornt Cap on Big Horn

Looks more like flying debris, such as a piece of gravel, caught it. Let your insurance handle it.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

If you don't want to file an insurance claim or pay an exorbitant price to a body shop, get a fiberglass repair kit at a boat shop and touch it up yourself. It's a very small area and probably will barely show.

danemayer

Hi Murry,

I don't have the expertise to look at your pictures and tell you the cause, but from time to time stones hit my windshield and it's not hard to imagine one of them bouncing up into the path of the front cap, causing damage like this.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We had a low branch knock a quarter-sized hole out of the front corner of our front AC shroud without doing any other damage, so I know it's possible.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Having once watched a four-socket lug wrench fall off a trailer in front of me on the freeway and sail high over the car I was driving, I know road debris can get very airborne.

TXTiger

I am not an expert and can't determine the cause but the estimate of $800 for such a small hole seems a bit high. I would get a few more estimates. Depending on your deductible with your insurance it may not be worth filing a claim. If your deductible is $500 the insurance will only pay the difference, in this case $300. Sometimes it is just better to pay out of pocket and not risk an increase in your premium.

hillsonwheels

Jim......my vote would be for flying road debris. (Now if you'd been any where near the little Gravely bush hog I use....that would be a whole different scenario.) Sorry it happened. I believe I'd be talking to my insurance folks.

Dick

jnbhobe

Jim; do like Gus said just patch it and touch it up, no one can see up there. You could also put a piece of Eternalbond tape on it. And then its fixed for twenty bucks. Hope to see you guys soon, maybe the winter will be like last year.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Jon,

I believe Gus has the right answer for me. It is small and not really visible from the ground will try a fiberglass repair kit and/or the tape. Not worth $800 and not interested in putting it through my insurance. I was just looking for some experienced input as to possible causes and I guess I have to go with road debris. If I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all. This calls for a cigar, beer and some learning on how to repair with a fiberglass repair kit. Sounds like a spring time job. Thanks all for you opinions.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Murry,

I would at a minimum seal that hole up so you do not get any water damage over the winter. No need to make a bad situation - really bad. Seal it up with Ebond tape or go old Duct Tape ( I use gorilla tape ) if you are not going to fix it now.

Kevin

mikeandconnie

There's a lot of good info on Youtube, how to do fiberglass repairs and gel coating. A easy fix would be Fiberglass Bondo, sand it, and touch up paint.

boatdoc

It would take me longer to get the ladder out than to fix that but I do it all the time. Is it thru all the layers or just gelcoat chipped? No bigger than that is and where it's at I'd more than likely just use Marine Tex on it.