short cycling A/C

linbro

If I set my A/C at a certain temp, it will reach this and go off, just like it's suppose to do. But then, about every 4 minutes it will " short cycle ". The fan comes on for 5 seconds, then the compressor for about 15 seconds, and then just the fan for another 5 seconds. Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed?

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
Linbro,

Had the same problem. I found with mine that I could run the AC in the "I Feel" mode but in the standard mode I had the short cycling issue. I am currently waiting on parts from the dealer. They are replacing an anti freeze up sensor. They currently have it bypassed so I can heat and cool but do run a risk of the compressor freezing until it is replaced. There may also be an issue if you are running the ducts on the main ac unit in the open position. It has the potential of blowing cold air directly on the sensor (mounted on the AC shroud. it has the LED's that light up) You will notice that the sensor has some slots in it. Scott posted a while back that Dometic may not have mounted it in the best of places and you may have to tape off the the slots. You can also just close the vent outlet and let the other ducted vents provide the ac.

Let us know what you find with yours.
Phil

linbro

OK, Thanks. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet because of the distance, but will put it on my short list of things to fix.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Hey Linbro
Welcome. Setting your hand held remote in the I feel mode may help your problem, but in my case, I had to have the control box, the remote and the sensor at the AC unit replaced. Dometic is aware of this problem and replaced the items. Have your dealer check with them to have the parts at the service department prior to yor going to them. This will save a couple of days time and should fix your problem in one trip.

S

Scott

A/C Systems (Remote)

I just wanted to share with you something that I learned yesterday from a dealer who has been experimenting with the remote A/C systems and trying to determine why some of them short cycle. Here is what he found - First of all, in two coaches that experienced some short cycling, there was a piece inside the A/C unit that snaps onto the coils that had come off (possibly from a sharp jolt on the road). This piece has something to do with the freeze control on the unit and obviously was the culprit in the short cycling.
Then on one unit that short cycled, he found out that when the fan is in the auto mode, he could get them to freeze up. When the fan was on the "high" setting, he could never get them to freeze up. He thinks it may have something to do with the amount of air traveling through the unit, and when it is in the "auto" mode, the fan will slow down when the temperature starts to get cooler and then it would freeze up.
His advice is to get it off of the I-feel mode and only run it on with the fan on "high" where he could not get it to short cycle.
FYI - don't know if that's how yours will react or not.
Let us know.

Scott

BigBlue

BigBlue
Scott
You can keep the remote in the "I-feel" mode and run the fan on high. They are different settings.
We've finally adjusted to our remote but I still don't think the location you put the mount for the remote is correct. In our Monticello, the mount is on the cabinet wall of the desk area. There's no way for the remote to "see" the AC. We have to take the remote and set it on the kitchen countertop to use it. Needless to say the remote has been knocked off the countertop at times.
Is there a way to get another mount? I don't want to take the existing mount off the wall and wind up with holes in the wood.
Jim

Cheryl

but I still don't think the location you put the mount for the remote is correct. In our Monticello, the mount is on the cabinet wall of the desk area. There's no way for the remote to "see" the AC. We have to take the remote and set it on the kitchen countertop to use it.
Is there a way to get another mount? I don't want to take the existing mount off the wall and wind up with holes in the wood.
Same with the Golden Gate. The mount is on the wall above the desk on the other side of the fireplace. It can't see the AC. I put mine on the dining table. Since we ate outside at the picnic table this trip, it worked okay.

Jim,
If you don't want to put any more holes in your unit, you could try self sticking velcro. Put one side on the back of the remote and the opposite side on a wall or wherever would be convenient yet out ot the way. I did that with my cordless phone at home. I put the opposite side on the deck rail for when we are outside.

Cheryl

I don't blame you for that. Nelson just has this thing about not putting holes in the walls - he hates it. I always hang my pictures when he isn't home so if it takes more than one shot to get it straight, with a little white toothpaste, he'll never know.None

S

Scott

Remote Mount

Thanks for the info on being able to run the remote in "I Feel" and still be able to run the fan on "high".

As for the remote holder location - The mount for the remote is located in a spot where it is not out in the open. We were looking for the least conspicuous location. Why? Because it was our understanding from Dometic that the purpose of the remote control heating a cooling system is to have it right there at your side when you are in your chair or on your sofa. If we knew people were just going to leave it on the wall to function as a thermostat, we would have put it right out in the open (on the back wall or by the sofa), - but if you are going to do that, we might as well have used a wall thermostat.
When we first discussed this system with Dometic, we were led to believe that the mount is basically only used when a person is finished using the remote and retires for the evening. It was simply a place to hold the remote until it is used again. Think of it as a TV remote HOLDER. You would only place the remote there when you were not interested in using it.
Unfortunately, people have tried more often to use it as a stationary wall thermostat, and as you have found, it works much better from the chair/sofa/dinette area.
Another issue has been the delay that occurs when using the remote. It leads some to believe that their remote does not work at all.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. As far as getting a new holder, I will see what I can do about ordering some in from Dometic. I will have to do some negotiating though, because when I checked on this before, they said the holder was part of the remote cost and that is very expensive.

ST

Cheryl

Scott,
Our salesman told us we could take the remote into the bedroom with us at night so that the unit would work according to that room's temps. I tried that and it didn't seem to work. I had the heater on. The temperature in the room dropped way lower than the remote was set for, but the heater never came on. When we got up in the morning, it was quite chilly. When I had the remote on the dining table, it worked fine. Was the dealer mistaken? Or did I have any settings wrong? It was in the IFeel mode.

Tom of Ypsi

Scott, I for one like the remote just fine where it is at. I keep it by me, wife likes it too hot, and hang it up for the evening and before I travel this way I always know where it is at. I get tired of remote searching at home and in the trailer for the tv and radio so now I have a remote holder on the table between the two lounge chairs in the back of the coach.

Cheryl

I don't mind where the holder is. I would just like to know if you can take the remote into the bedroom or not and what the settings have to be. Frankly, having the remote was not a big selling point for me. I fell for the design, layout, colors, materials used for the Landmark. I think it is absolutely beautiful. Everyone I have showed it agrees.

BigBlue

BigBlue
Scott
The remote has to "see" the AC unit to function. By "see" I mean the ir end must point at the receiver located on the control unit of the AC. If the remote is placed in the holder for instance where it can't see the AC, after 16 minutes the control unit reverts to 'local control' and retains the last setpoint. The only way for the remote to function as a thermostat is for it to constantly "see" the AC control unit.
Since the remote is the thermostat you have to be careful where you place it as it is affected by the air flowing accross it. Dometic is correct in saying people can have it where they are seated only if the remote can "see" the control unit on the AC. Then as temperature changes where you are seated the remote sends the appropriate signal to the control unit and the AC or furnace comes on. When Dometic says after a person is finished and retires you still need to have the remote pointing at the control unit. If it isn't pointed at the control unit after 16 minutes the control unit reverts to local mode and stays at the last set point. The problem is the sensor location has suddenly changed. Instead of at the location of the remote, it now is up at the control unit. That's a significant change.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Phil Smith

AC Short Cycling Update:
I just picked up my Bighorn 320RL from the dealer yesterday after having some warranty repairs made. Of those, I just wanted to update you on my short cycling issue on the AC. As Scott mentioned in a post several weeks ago, the issue may be all related as the the location of the sensor that is mounted on the main AC shroud. In Scotts post it was discussed that the short cycling might occur if the vent on the shroud was open allowing cold air to reach the sensor. We seem to have found that even with the shroud vent closed the sensor is still detecting the cold. We have moved the sensor about 6 inches. Now instead of being on the shroud, it is mounted on the ceiling. Dometic is sending a replacement shroud so the old mounting holes will not be unsightly. So far, I brought the coach temp from 92 to 74 yesterday WITHOUT the compressor short cycling and I was NOT in the "I FEEL" mode. That's the first time we have been able to do it. I'm pullling the camper to Atlanta for the weekend and will have some pretty good feed back shortly as the temps are supposed to be in the low to mid 90's. I really appreciate the hard work in taking care of my camper issues by Drew at Sonny's Camp-N-Travel in Greenville, SC. Thanks Scott for your help as well. As I understand it, the issues I posted earlier are all in the process of being fixed.
Phil

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hey folks
I quick suggestion for the holes if you do mount the remote in another location. I mounted mine on the pantry wall. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, they carry a putty pencil in the paint department that comes in about eight different colors, I forget the number of the one that matches the color of the Landmarks but it works really well. I used ot build custom cabinets and used them to hide minor marks and holes.
As for the short cycling, have your dealer call Dometic, they know they have a problem with the boards and controlers. My problem was sovled by changing out these parts and have had no problem other than the thermostat being a couple of degrees off rather than eight to ten. I can live with that, and the unit has never frozen up after that replacement parts were installed. This should also include a new remote. Good luck.

Glenn

BluegrassMan

Airconditioner Woe's

The wife and I went to a Bluegrass festival in Central Pa. (Dutch Country). It was almost unbearable for the Humidity, After getting the trailer set up, and finding a WORKABLE voltage to use, we tried to put the AC to use.

We were trying almost everything to get out unit cooled down. I read and re-read, and re-read the little pamphlet that Dometic puts in concerning the remote. I was wishing they had a " I Feel ****ed" button on the remote.:mad:

It was about 86 outside and was hanging around 88-90 inside. All the while we had short cycle on the AC. Finally my wife said, What would happen if we set the Thermo WAY down ? After setting the remote at 60 she got the trailer temp around 75. For Fri-Sat-Sun, I think it was set at 62, we were then comfortable. Does the remote need recalibrated ? Should it be off that much ?

It didn't matter where in the Kitchen to living room where you placed the remote, it leid on the end table or the counter top. Should I email Dometic ?

Phil Smith

HI BluegrassMan,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the AC. Been there! A few suggestions for your AC. You need to make sure the remote is somewhere in line-of -sight of the sensor that is mounted on the shroud of your AC unit or it will not sense and communicate the temps from the remote. Also, if you have the outlet vent on the AC shroud in the open position, you may be blowing cold air on the sensor and causing it to short cycle. (try closing it) I have had my dealer move the sensor to the ceiling about 6 inches from the AC shroud to prevent this. Just received the new shroud (after moving the sensor it had the screw holes exposed-unattractive) over the weekend. Still need to get it mounted. If these do not work, you may have some problems with the circuit boads in the AC itself. Mine had to have the anti-freeze controller replaced as it kept shutting down the compressor before reaching temp.

Hope one or more of these will help.

Phil

vrugt

BluegrassMan said:
The wife and I went to a Bluegrass festival in Central Pa. (Dutch Country).

Uh uh, that's Pennsylvania Dutch country! The original settlers came from Germany (Tubbingen area). The Dutch country is to the North. It was known as New Netherlands (or Nieu Nederland) and included mainly todays New York and New Jersey.
take it from a real Dutchie (wooden shoe?)