Leaky Tyre Valves

Willym

Has anyone had problems with their tyre valves passing air when the TST507 sensor is taken off? If so, what did you do, if anything to rectify the situation? I currently have two valves passing a little air when I removed the sensors to add air.

danemayer

Since the sensor depresses the valve stem when tight, there's a point where it leaks slightly when removing it. If you don't stop at that point, the loss won't be significant.

If yours keep leaking after the sensor is off, you probably need new valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

Just tighten the valve cores. Just need a little tool that's often part of the valve cap. My Ride-Rite airbags s came with those kind of valve caps. Just insert it into the core and give it a little twist...Don

donr827

I had the same problem on one of my sensors. Mine turned out to be a loose valve core. Tightened it around a 1/8 of a turn and the leak stop. The tool can be purchased at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks.
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Often, just depressing the stem of the core and releasing it will reset it and the leak will stop. Works every the time on mine.

RoadJunkie

You're not the only one with leaking tire valves. I have one tire with similar symptoms. Hey, by the way, does anyone happen to know if the TST507 pressure transmitter stops transmitting if it is removed from the tire? I usually take the transmitters off thinking I am saving my batteries.

Willym

Thanks for the responses. The valves leak when the sensor is completely removed. I tried depressing and releasing it several times to no avail. I'll try tightening the valve cores next time. If that doesn't work, then I'll replace them, I just have to lose all that air in the tyre.

TXTiger

You're not the only one with leaking tire valves. I have one tire with similar symptoms. Hey, by the way, does anyone happen to know if the TST507 pressure transmitter stops transmitting if it is removed from the tire? I usually take the transmitters off thinking I am saving my batteries.

I have been told that the sensor stops transmitting when removed from the valve stem thereby saving the battery. I have never removed mine so not sure if it is true.

piet10

I have the TST507 with the flow through sensors. I took them off for winter storage to save the batteries. As I took each one off, I could verify on the monitor that it did stop transmitting.

Al

Willym

Took off the sensors today and found that the valve cores needed about a half turn of tightening to stop air leak. I suspect that unscrewing the sensor can turn the valve core a bit if the seal sticks to the end of the core. I've had to replace a few of these seals. All is well now.

RoadJunkie

I could verify on the monitor that it did stop transmitting.

Al

How did you verify the cessation of transmission when the sensors were removed? I can understand that you may not have an indicated pressure on the receiver, but the receiver may have a low pressure threshold that won't display very low pressures. You're probably right, but I think I will call customer support on Monday and ask them to verify your experiment. I will let you guys know.

piet10

How did you verify the cessation of transmission when the sensors were removed? I can understand that you may not have an indicated pressure on the receiver, but the receiver may have a low pressure threshold that won't display very low pressures. You're probably right, but I think I will call customer support on Monday and ask them to verify your experiment. I will let you guys know.

If it was still transmitting with the sensor removed, the monitor would alarm. When I took each one off I could see it disappear from the screen.

Here is an excerpt from the website FAQ:

How long do the sensor batteries last?

On average the 510 sensor
batteries last between 5 and 7 years and the 507 batteries are intended to be changed approximately every 10-12 months. The sensors stop transmitting after being disconnected from the tires. If you park your commercial vehicle for extended periods of time or if you store an RV for the winter, you can remove the sensors and extend battery life. The included battery life estimate is based upon full time use.

RoadJunkie

You are correct. Good research and thank you for taking the time to prove this point. I will remove mine this afternoon as it's too cold out there now! Thanks!