Unicorn Express tires

chardel

When I picked up the 2008 3055 rl recently, I noticed it had Unicorn express tires which must be something new as from reading all the posts on tires over the past month or so while I was waiting for my unit to come in, I had not seen any mention of this brand. The trip from the dealer was about 200 miles and they seemed to do ok and I checked them over closely when we got home and nothing unusual so - hope it stays that way.

ChopperBill

"All products sold by Unicorn Tire are covered by multiple product liability insurance policies which gives customer the comfort of a 100% back up!"

Wow! That's reassuring! Especially when you are on the side of the road with the side of your trailer smashed in. Maybe its just me, but the next stop would be the tire store looking at some proven tires. Too many stories about exploding china tires to make me comfortable running on 'em.

ct0218

I read somewhere in my research on Chinese tires that there were something like 400 tire manufacturers there. It is a big country, but with most making tires with multiple brands it is difficult to imagine just how many labels there are from China. It is also hard to believe that with this flood of tires that they all really do meet the US tire standards, or that they are really checked.

Forrest Fetherolf

I attached the comparison tire weight for the G614 RST vs. Unicorn "E" rated. The tire weight difference is 58 lbs vs 36 lbs. Check out the load rating and tire pressure difference between the two. Which would be the stronger? I think I understand why the china bombs go "boom"............................ weight difference of 20 plus lbs...............where is the rubber???????????????
Scary...........

Forrest

Attachments

• UnicorU.doc
    67 KB · Views: 29

geeksrus

My 3400RL has them also... did 4500KM from dealer to home with no problems.
Contacted them by email to get spec info & received a phone call within 2 hours... hopefully the quality of the tires matches the excellent customer service!None

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Forrest Fetherolf said:
I attached the comparison tire weight for the G614 RST vs. Unicorn "E" rated. The tire weight difference is 58 lbs vs 36 lbs. Check out the load rating and tire pressure difference between the two. Which would be the stronger? I think I understand why the china bombs go "boom"............................ weight difference of 20 plus lbs...............where is the rubber???????????????
Scary...........

Forrest

Forrest, you're not comparing equal rated tires in your chart - the first is an "E" rated tire (Unicorn)and the second is a "G" rated tire (Goodyear). It would be more meaningful to compare Es to Es and Gs to Gs. In my case, my Trail America tires were "G" rated, but I still lost one.

However, I appreciate getting the specs on my new Goodyears.

Chuck

Forrest Fetherolf

cb,

My point was not the "E" vs "G" designation, but the fact that Unicorn claims their tire's load rating is 3520lbs@80psi and the Goodyear's is 3750lbs@110psi. From what I have read and understand.....heavy loading + low tire pressure + less mass (tire weight for cooling) would be the ingredents for tire failure. To me, this is a case of "pick a number" to sell tires. Are the Goodyear's under rated or the Unicorn's over rated? This is something owner's should consider when towing their investment.

Forrest

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's really a no brainer as to which is better. Forrest, if you have time, see if you can find any specs that include the weight for the Karrier Loadstars by Kenda. I've found several sites with specs but no tire weights. All the sites I've visited about the Loadstars say how good they are. I also haven't read about any issues with them yet. I hope I haven't jinxed that. I have the "E" rated tires. Thanks, Ray

vangoes

I would be interested in what you find on the Karrier Loadstars also. I am running the "E" rated and have 5,000+ miles and they still look new. Yea.....I know, they are China brand and I have my head in the sand! But...........I have a real problem with having to replace the tires on a new unit.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
vangoes said:
I would be interested in what you find on the Karrier Loadstars also. I am running the "E" rated and have 5,000+ miles and they still look new. Yea.....I know, they are China brand and I have my head in the sand! But...........I have a real problem with having to replace the tires on a new unit.

Both my wife and I thought the same and I thought the Trail Americas were good tires, since I had no problems with them - UNTIL ONE BLEW. After that, I could not even get the wife to let me keep the spare, which only had 4 miles on it.

Chuck

Forrest Fetherolf

Trail America "G" vs Unicorn "E" vs Goodyear '"G614"

Forrest Fetherolf said:
Scary...........

Forrest

Today for grins, I weighed one of the five Trail America "G" tires I have been saving for unknown reasons after my T/A explosion eariler this year and JCA paid for 5 Goodyear "G614's."

Trail Amerca "G" weighs 48 lbs with loads of 3750 @ 110 psi
Unicorn "E" weighs 36 lbs with loads of 3520 @ 80 psi
Goodyear "G614" weighs 58 lbs with loads of 3750 @ 110 psi.

This would indicate to me the the T/A and Unicron might be streaching their capability compared to Goodyears. Other than Unicorn, I have been unable find the actual weight in the specs of the other "made in China" tires. Tire weight might have an effect on dependability in addition to the brand and where manufactured.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Karriers with 3 out 5 bubbles!

vangoes said:

Take a look at my post on the Karriers with 3 out of 5 tires with bubbles;
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3627