HELP Plugged 220 volt in plug and noticed gray/white smoke

Aristakat

Plugged 220volt in and greay smoke belloed out of bottom turned power off right away seems from what I read coming from area where converter is... Fridge,microwave, not working ac unit is working fine... Fridge was working fine on gas once I hooked 220vt it has no power any ideas ?????/ no power to either one now even tryed to plug in from house 120 on fridge and micro dead ??? did surge fry my stuff whats the deal ? checked brakers by door

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I hope you didn't really plug into 220 volts. The trailer runs off 50amp, 110volts. I hope you mean you plugged into a 50amp plug. Sounds like you definitely had a power surge on at least one leg of your 50amp sevice.

mikeandconnie

Here a link from a few days ago with the same problems. Check your central vacuum, it's next to the converter and my have caused the smoke.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/34685-AC-amp-Frig-Power-Loss?highlight=surge+protector

wdk450

Plugged 220volt in and greay smoke belloed out of bottom turned power off right away seems from what I read coming from area where converter is... Fridge,microwave, not working ac unit is working fine... Fridge was working fine on gas once I hooked 220vt it has no power any ideas ?????/ no power to either one now even tryed to plug in from house 120 on fridge and micro dead ??? did surge fry my stuff whats the deal ? checked brakers by door

It sounds like you have converter and microwave blown, but we can check this out.
1. With power plug disconnected, make sure power source is good. I would ONLY use a 30 amp outlet (NOT a 50 amp outlet adapted down to 30 amps) for testing. Measure the outlet with a Voltmeter ( 110 VAC between the 2 flat slots).
2. Turn EVERY Breaker on your trailer's AC Circuit breaker panel OFF. Then plug in to the 30 amp outlet.
3. Turn on the main double breakers. Then turn the rest of the breakers on 1 at a time, checking the device or outlets controlled by that breaker for proper operation. Check the microwave for lights and heating a cup of water. Put a DC voltmeter across the trailer battery and check for an increase in DC voltage when turning on the converter breaker. The water heater will take a while - with a cold tank of water, turn on the water heater breaker and control switches and wait around 30 minutes. You should have hot water. Check the fridge to see if any of the indicator or inside lights come on (shows refrig getting 12 volt DC power - if not, check fusepanel or fuses on refrig circuit board). Try to run fridge on propane first - you should hear the flame light and go at the outside vent. Remember the fridge is on a GFI circuit with the GFI trip switch outlet in the bathroom.

Good Luck!!

Aristakat

oops not 220 50amp is correct sorry about that... Will check gfi in bathroom , I found popped gfi in front bedroom ... The Micro I attemped with extension cord from house to no avail no lights on microwave and no power whats so ever did check power going to plug where micro was plugged in it was working laso we did find a breaker popped originally.. I hope gfi controls thermostat on fridge because I tried running cord to that as well to no avail did notice that where it was plugged seemed to have no power might be gfi to plug but would of though gas would of worked it did before smoke,,,??/ does anyone thing surge blew equiment ? fridge and micro ?what would of cause this ? any idea covered under any warranty its two years old next month only used camper like 6-8 times sad stuff

danemayer

Hi Aristakat,

Sorry you're having this problem, but it does sound like maybe there was a wiring problem or voltage problem at the power pedestal. You may have fried everything. Did this happen at a campground?

If you have Collision/Comprehensive Insurance on the trailer, you should check to see if it covers damage from an external electrical surge, such as a lightning strike.

Many of us are using Electrical Management Systems/Surge Protectors that protect against low voltage, high voltage, surges, and miswired pedestals. You should check these out.

hoefler

50 amp service IS 220!! What most likely happened is your pedestal had an open neutral. Which causes the appliances to find a new return path and, unfortunately, causes an over voltage frying everything that was on.

Tombstonejim

If you pluged it in with the breaker on then it is possible to send 220 thru the unit. If the two power prongs make contact before the ground its poof.

Breakers should be off before plugging in or unplugging.

jnbhobe

If you pluged it in with the breaker on then it is possible to send 220 thru the unit. If the two power prongs make contact before the ground its poof.

Breakers should be off before plugging in or unplugging.

Another reason for a Progressive EMS !!!!

Aristakat

okay more background found converter imtermittent charge coming out of output.... all 110 plugs our reading 220 thus blowing appliances..
1.fridge
2.microwave
3.Tv
If I replace converter should that fix problem ? Reminder whn I plugged 240 30amp plug white smoke came from where converter was, only issues I found was had a tv replaced and they ran 110 wire around according hing so when you push tv back in for travel it pinched wire good that blow inverter ?
as of now I have two tvs blown,one microwave Iam told there might be internal reset button ?,Fridge blown

plan on calling local rv tech any help or imput appreciated
heres the inverter
http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters_9200.html

rick_debbie_gallant

okay more background found converter imtermittent charge coming out of output.... all 110 plugs our reading 220 thus blowing appliances..

ARISTAKAT, are you connected to power at HOME or at a CAMPGROUND ?

if at HOME did you hire your self to do the electrical box or some one else.?

Did you use any adapters to make your connection.

floridarandy

as we sit camping with our new 50 amp PI hardwired unit I am so relieved to be able to SEE what's going on with the power from the pedestal we're plugged in to. I can see we're OK before the unit lets the power to the rig and can watch the amp draw as we turn on various items like our ceramic heater. everyone should have one and i'm sure most who read this would be happy to pay the $300 it takes to have it as original equipment.

danemayer

Your last post is a little hard to follow.

Your power converter takes 110V from shore power and converts it to 12V DC to charge the battery and help run lights, furnace, and other 12V devices.

You also mention an inverter, the opposite of a converter, in that it converts 12V DC to 110V AC to run things like a microwave oven.

Your trailer came with a converter. If you also have an inverter, it would have been something added by you.

A short in the TV 110V wiring would trip a circuit breaker and have no effect on your converter.

It sounds like you plugged into 220V and damaged a lot of stuff, including the power converter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aristakat

as we sit camping with our new 50 amp PI hardwired unit I am so relieved to be able to SEE what's going on with the power from the pedestal we're plugged in to. I can see we're OK before the unit lets the power to the rig and can watch the amp draw as we turn on various items like our ceramic heater. everyone should have one and i'm sure most who read this would be happy to pay the $300 it takes to have it as original equipment.

would love to see pics of pedstal and info on getting one

Danemayer I am rookie when comes to electric sorrry,,, You are right I think its a converter posted link below of exact one that is there,,,, I DID hire a local electcian and had him come back to check all connections to trailer and my neighbor is also a electrcian both feel it is converter the questions is WHY converter failed and if all appliances have resets of our they our trash now ? They are ones who tested circuits in trailer also..

I am wondering if I should order new converter and order new appliances ? I am worried this issue might happen again because not sure what cause was only sympton I saw was plugged 30amp in trailer turned breaker on for that plug from my house and puff white smoke billowing out of bottom of trailer and the rest is here and now......

learning more each day , this is at my house my vacation got canceled because of this issue was suppose to start Monday in Fla keys :(

danemayer

Take a look at this website - click on the tab for 30amp. Then ask your electricians to read it and ask them if the outlet is correct for an RV.

Notice the part about catastrophic results - which is what you've experienced.

http://myrv.us/electric

jimtoo

I'll bet the "electrician" wired it for 220v not knowing the difference for a RV. Hope he has insurance.

TedS

Jeez, 220 at the outlet ought to be a clue that something is seriously mis-wired. A blown converter will not put 220 on the outlet.
Ditto, hope your electrician has insurance.

rick_debbie_gallant

Yup something is surely wrong in Denmark. I am going to rethink how I both arrive and depart my campsite. I will be making all my future connects and disconnects with the main circuit breakers off. First to go on once the power cord is attached will be the pedestal breakers. Next I will check the EMS remote readout for proper voltage and any faults that are present. Only then will I flip the main breakers in the fifth wheel.

Aristakat

okay all were right took it to local rv expert he knew right away said NO WAY 220 should be going into rv ,, so now the process of repairing all equiment and a note had I used my surge protector on cord I proably wouldnt of blown equiment so now I am unwraping protect and will use... Electrcian is making good on damage

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, I would be interesting what it all cost, once its fixed. Good thing he has insurance, or at least I hope he does. That's got to be at least $6,000 or more in repairs, I would thinks.