Roof Repair?

traveler44

While getting ready to wash the roof I found a small three corner rip in the rubber on the radius where the roof comes over. I looked up Eterna Bond products and found Roof Seal tape, Roof seal plus for deeper damage , Eterna cleaner and Eterna Primer. Do I need the cleaner and primer or would a piece of the roof seal tape do the job? Also where can I find a piece of the tape big enough for the job without having to buy a 50' roll of it? Thanks Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, I needed some Eternabond for roof repair last year. Easy to use, I just cleaned the area good and stuck it on.
Some Walmart stores carry it in a small kit as well as some RV dealers sell it by the foot.
If you need, I can mail a chunk to you.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
If decide to buy a roll Best Materials has very reasonable prices compared to most RV dealers. I believe the 4" x 50' roll is $55.00. Great service too. When you apply be sure to use some type of roller (I had a wall-paper seam roller that worked) over the tape.

Good Luck!

boatdoc

If decide to buy a roll Best Materials has very reasonable prices compared to most RV dealers. I believe the 4" x 50' roll is $55.00. Great service too. When you apply be sure to use some type of roller (I had a wall-paper seam roller that worked) over the tape.

Good Luck!

That's who I've bought from. Good prices and service.

traveler44

It is 51*-53* on the roof today-infrared thermometer- so I decided to do an the area along the edge of the roof where it tends to scuff on the low branches. I cleaned it with the eternabond cleaner and then stuck it down. Some stuck but some picked up the chalk from the rubber roof and didn't. Is there something that will remove the chalk or should I just wait until I get to a warmer climate or will I have to use the primer? I have the roof seal and the cleaner, the roller and the rest of the roll now. Thanks Tom

Netem

Hey Tom, at Goshen the Dicor guy said you can use A jax to clean any tough spots on the roof I would think that would take the chalk off.

traveler44

Thanks Neil! Somebody told me that lacquer thinner on a rag will work better than the spray cleaner for getting the chalk off too. I think the spray cleaner evaporates too quickly and by the time I wiped it with the rag it didn't pick up all of the chalk. The next time I will try some different things to make sure I get rid of all of the chalk before I try to stick the Eterna Bond tape down. Tom

ChangingPlaces

It is 51*-53* on the roof today-infrared thermometer- so I decided to do an the area along the edge of the roof where it tends to scuff on the low branches. I cleaned it with the eternabond cleaner and then stuck it down. Some stuck but some picked up the chalk from the rubber roof and didn't. Is there something that will remove the chalk or should I just wait until I get to a warmer climate or will I have to use the primer? I have the roof seal and the cleaner, the roller and the rest of the roll now. Thanks Tom
Hi Tom
What I got told to use on the EPDM to clean it ready for eternabond to go on is Acetone. I have used this and it appears to work well. I have checked the eternabond I have applied and all seems well.
Cheers Paul

danemayer

From the Dicor website:

CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty.