Welcome Home!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I spent 26 years in the US Army as a helicopter pilot, with two tours in Vietnam (1st with the 282nd Blackcats in DaNang flying UH1C guns with the Alleycats and the 2nd with the 48th Bluestars flying UH1C gunships with the Joker guns in Dong Ha doing missions for Lam Sahn 719 into LAOS). I want to say welcome home to all Vietnam Veterans from the bottom of my heart. We are brothers in arms and never were thanked for our service, we were just forgotten! Have a wonderful Veterans Day!!!! This goes to all veterans of all services and all conflicts!

CW4(P) R Cowley
US Army Retired

jbeletti

Thank you For your service rumaco and welcome home!

Thank you to all our veterans. You and your families all sacrifice so much. We appreciate you!

Manzan

I am a Vietnam era vet but spent my time in NYC making training films. The disservice shown to the Vietnam vets is mind boggling! My thanks to all who served. I did have the privilege of meeting Capt. Donlan, the first CMO awardee from Vietnam. A very quiet man who much rather been back in country with his men than making a film for the DOA.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Vietnam Era vets are the forgotten ones. We were the ones behind the scenes doing our duty in support of the 'war' effort. I have spoken to many Vietnam Vets who display an attitude that if you were not in Nam you really didn't serve. Well I just don't see it that way and want to thank all of us who served regardless of whether you were in a war zone or not. Just like today there are many who have never been to Iraq or Afghanistan but have still served proudly in the service of their county. Please don't forget them. We all have done our duty as Uncle Sam saw fit. BTW, Welcome home to All vets and thank you for your service. Without you we would not have this wonderful country to come home to.

TeJay

My thanks also to all who served. I spent my time, 4-years AF-65-69, stateside working on radar in the great state of Maine. I say great because that's also where I met my Wife. Rumaco I think you'll like this story. I graduated HS in 1962. Two years ago I reconnected (internet) with a classmate who served 2 tours in Nam as a UH1C pilot. We had not talked in 49 years. He told me some about his Nam tours but then mentioned that the Huey he flew was a gate guard somewhere in Arkansas. I taught HS for 25 years in AR so I knew a few people in the state. I made a few calls and soon located his Huey at a VFW post on the west side of Little Rock. The gun ship was very close to being scraped. I e-mailed my classmate ED and told him that I found his Huey and boy was he and all the guys in the 191st-AHC excited. While in Nam he flew out of Bear cats for the 191st. The name of his gun ship was "Mother Goose". The VFW in LR is having some financial concerns and the Huey is probably going to be moved to a memorial park in Amarillo TX sometime we hope soon. They are also going to do a complete restoration (not flyable but paint, rocket pods, guns logos etc.) as well. If you go to the 191st-AHC web sight you can get a lot more information.
TeJay

truknutt

Committed Member
I am a Vietnam era vet but spent my time in NYC making training films. The disservice shown to the Vietnam vets is mind boggling! My thanks to all who served. I did have the privilege of meeting Capt. Donlan, the first CMO awardee from Vietnam. A very quiet man who much rather been back in country with his men than making a film for the DOA.

With due respect, I believe you are referring to Captain Roger Donlon, Medal of Honor (MOH) recipient. A common misconception is to refer to the medal as the "Congressional Medal of Honor". The medal is presented by the President in the name of Congress.

Thanks for your service gentlemen.

kowAlski631

Welcome home. Both of us served with pride in the AF during and after the Vietnam era. Thank goodness that military now don't receive the nasty comments, being spat upon, and being called baby killers and war mongers as most of the persons serving during that era were. Nevertheless, we're proud we served and I suspect that if we were called on we would do so again despite the fact that our knees, backs, and other body parts would protest (getting old creeps up on you). Welcome home to all persons who have served in defense of our country - whether in combat or not.

wolfrat1

Thanks to all that served. Just retired after 31 yrs (Air Force, Army;Vietnam, Panama and Middle East). Active Duty, Reserve & Nat'l Guard. Must admit I had a good time. It's pain getting old or I think I'd still be doing it. Most of us saw parts of the world we would never see on our own. No matter what branch of service, we did our part. Thanks again ladies and gents.

TeJay

As I posted earlier. My AF time was spent state side but I had a few friends that went to Nam. My brother is retired AF after 21 years. He spent a tour in Thailand. This week the Wife and I are headed to DC to attend our Sons promotion ceremony to Lt. Col. at the Pentagon. Needless to say we aren't to proud. While in the AF 65-69 I had the occasion to fly some. It was difficult to travel in uniform because of the attitude of some folks. I did because you were usually treated a bit better by the airlines as a standby if you were in uniform. They would even move us to first class if there was an opening.

Any time we are out and about if I encounter a solider in uniform I always thank him/her. It gives me great pride to recognize their service and they never seem to get tired of hearing the thanks either.

TeJay

wolfrat1

Please remember this day, 07 Dec 1941. It seems like we are losing our history.

Last edited:

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
You may be forgotten but we (the in county vets) were **** on.............nothing even equal, you want recognition go somewhere else. Vietnam ERA vets do not deservere the same thing we that were in country fight for.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You may be forgotten but we (the in county vets) were **** on.............nothing even equal, you want recognition go somewhere else. Vietnam ERA vets do not deservere the same thing we that were in country fight for.

I totally disagree with you. Not to start an argument but for without the support behind the front lines there would be no supplies, intelligence, or logistical support to make the missions successful. Granted we were not dodging bullets shot from guns but had to put up the the same military BS and we were not given the same respect those in country personnel were. Thanks for your sacrifice we do appreciate. BTW I did volunteer for Vietnam twice and the US Army chose to send me elsewhere.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So our service is meaningless, according to him. Heard that same line of BS before. To be honest, I don't require any recognition from him or anybody else. I enlisted in the USAF in 1967, right out of high school and went where they sent me. In the subsequent 27 years I served in the Reserves, they didn't activate me. Proud of what I did and so is my wife. Her's is the only recognition that has any meaning to me.

TeJay

Right on JohnDar, I have all the respect in the world for those who served in the war zones. I served AF from 65-69 but didn't have to go over seas as others did but i went where I was told and served to the best of my ability. I really don't believe those that who served on the front lines at 18 or 19 years old really wanted to be there but they were. Those who survived and got older probably look back with a much different view than they had at the time. If they could, knowing what they went through would they do it again??? Well now that's a good question. Would I think less of anybody who didn't serve, "In country?" NO not ever. We were kids who served and did what we were told. Hind sight is always 20/20. Thanks to all who served in what ever capacity you served.

TeJay

Manzan

I served in a small post that made training films but that did not stop us from losing film crews in Nam. Hard to use a weapon and operate film, motion picture or TV cameras. Saw lots of footage never released to the general public that I wished I hadn't seen. The abuse military suffered here in the states was not deserved by anyone.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Yes I will state that all provided a service during that time and deserve recognition and respect. I stated that we (the in country vets) were abused and ridiculed when returning to the US. 15% of all military are combat arms, 85% are support and or administration. I was combat arms and came home a totally differant person.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
No it was not meaningless, just a whole lot safer!!!!!!!!!!!! Some really did sacrifice a LITTLE MORE!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Many of us enlisted on our own. I admit, I enlisted to have a lesser chance of going over to Viet Nam. That said, orders are orders and we go where we're sent. Many were drafted and had no choice either but like enlistees, went where they were given orders.
At least we didn't run to Canada or college or some other means of dodging the war.
I knew several school buddies that lost their lives and a few more that were not the same person I knew before serving in Nam. It affected many and I certainly feel they deserve more than they are getting or got.