king bed slide

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
My suggestion is that you leave a little room on both sides of the King mattress I just put a mattress cover and sheets on by myself and it sure was a work out. Couldn't you have left a couple of inches on the sides, didn't anyone think about how someone was going to put sheets on??
Maria

ChopperBill

One of the reasons we paid EXTRA for a queen bed. Looked a little tight in the bedroom. Call me crazy but I could use 6 inches less closet space for a smidgen more room in the bed room area also. If there had been an option for the washer dryer I would have passed on that also for a little more room.

sjrellis

We too ordered the queen bed option. That is what we have in our home. We aren't used to a king, but would not have gotten it due to the space it takes up........

.......now we are waiting, waiting, waiting on delivery...................

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
A trick that we use on our king size mattress is to slide it toward the cabinet at the foot of the bed. Then we put the sheets and cover on the mattress. Then slide it back into position and smooth it. Makes task alot easier.

cmart

Has anyone thought about just putting a queen on instead of the king mattress and maybe cutting the foundation board down a little. Wouldn't this work. If anyone has done this I would be interested in hearing about it. Curt.

mariacyl

New Big Horn owners
I thought if you order a queen it will still be tight cause the queen slide is smaller normally? I had to have a King bed me my husband and two rat terriers a queen just isnt big enough!!

sjrellis

I don't know, but I do not think the slide is smaller for the queen bed? Anybody know? I'm assuming our 3670 will have the regular bedroom slide size.

jpmorgan37

The slide on my unit is the same size. whether king or queen bed. I ordered the queen size bed and have a shelf on one side and a book rack on the other. There is more room between the bed and the closet and even I can make the bed.

John

Dale Smith

Queen Bed Headboard

We ordered the queen bed in our 2008 Bighorn and we like that setup for the reasons you folks state.

Be careful though....we were home a week after picking up the trailer, when we noticed that the headboard fastened to the wall was left in the king position.....off centre to the queen set up. We are reluctant to have it removed and centred for the marks the old position will leave. We have had to tell everyone else about it as they had not noticed this.

The queen bed still gives you the mini shelf on the closet side and a small night cabinet on the shower side.:rolleyes:

Dale

christianson

The first mod we did to our 3055 rl Bighorn was to remove king matress cut down the base installed reguler size queen matress from furniture store fits in much better than king matress you be surprised how much room you gain I have a brand new rv king matress somebody can have free just come and get.

jimtoo

You did what I am thinking of doing. Can you post some pictures of your work, the interior of box and or tell us what you did. I checked mine and it looks like I will need to almost remake the interior slide portion of box. I only have about 1 1/2 inches on closet side of slide to metal slide arm itself. So I don't know if I could gain enough to make it worthwhile.

Jim

sjrellis

we noticed that the headboard fastened to the wall was left in the king "position.....off centre to the queen set up."

Could you post of picture?

cmart

L. Dean & Sharon, thats exactly what I was talking about, not changing the box but just cutting down the wooden base that presses against my vanity door and maybe the sides just enough that a queen mattres would fit on it. Would make the chore of making up the bed a lot simpler and wouldn't have to worry about marring up the vanity. Send pics if you have any, I'm curious to the outcome. And thanks.

christianson

I remove the base and the box it is not a very big job to remove it from coach I narrowed the box up by 12inches on shower slide I rebuilt it to deepen storeage on shower slide you can end up with a bin about 10 inches wide and deep enough to get 2 rolled up sleeping bags in it you have to leave room so you are above carpet if you are carefull youcan cut it down so can reuse all the wood and trim I glued and screw it back together better then new you dont do any thing to slide . On the deck part I took it all off the shower side so it gave us the room on that side you have to move 1 hinge we put a regular size queen materess with pillow top no more hasel to find bedding no interference with the cabinets the head board is offset a little but that would be bigger job to move it then to redo bed . If I can figuer how to seen pictures I will . It is not a big job.

J

jjjelm

We have the king bed in our BH 3055RL and love it...we each stand on our "own" side, pull out the mattress to put the mattress pad and fitted sheet on then push it back in and finish the job...takes about 3 minutes that way. We just keep our glasses,books or whatever in a basket on the dresser top ( 2 or 3 steps away). We like the room the king bed gives us so much we plan to replace our queen at home with a king...that is if we ever stay home again..he he!

jimtoo

We really like the king bed also, they did not offer a queen option when we got ours, but it is just to close to the closet sliding doors. If you have any hips at all, it is hard to get by the sliding doors. We presently put both doors to one side, toward foot of bed, so the DW can get past the doors without to much trouble, but it is still a hassle with a bum knee.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Even though I'm alone 90% of the time, I like my king sized bed. I've found that California King sized sheets almost fit the bed properly. Since the king size bed doesn't leave room for a night stand, I bought some items at CW for my books, glasses, etc.

These are in the living room, but I have the same things on each side of the bed for glasses, pens (for working crossword puzzles in bed) etc.
Remotes.JPG

I installed this in the "Throne Room" for serious study.
Bathroom 2.jpg

And above the headboard I keep books, lotions, tissues, etc.
bed books.jpg

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Having read this post and also having been looking into upgrading to a Landmark Augusta I must be a little careful when it comes to the amount or lack-of space between the bed and closet. Jim B. first brought this to my attention a few weeks ago and I recently took note of what available space we have in our current Bighorn. I guess I should feel lucky but at the same time a little concerned. We are adamant about upgrading but may have to rethink some things. We currently have a nice size nightstand on one side of the king size bed and a small night-shelf on the other side. Upgrading to the Landmark, we would loose both of those nightstands and quite a bit of leg room between the bed and closet. My newer concern is if Heartland decides to reconsider their design that they do not take away from the closet depth as they have done on some of their other units. Ya, that's right, the closet depth can be different from floor plan to floor plan. I just recently noticed this in my investigations towards our upgrade.

I will ask Jim if maybe this thread could be moved to the Ask the Factory section so that Heartland will have a chance to read and consider.

Mark

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
we just bought the 3670rl on Friday and are planning to do the same thing, cut down the fiberboard base and put a queen size mattress back on it. I had tears of frustration trying to make the king size bed by myself. We had just bought a deluxe mattress for our older Coachmen that I had gotten quite accustomed to. Not to mention, I bought a cheap set of 300 tc king size sheets which don't quite compare to the sets of 800 tc queen size I already have. On top of that, I needed a GPS to find my Husband,,, lol,,, Oldlthrnecks girl

Oh, and i have a question,,, what did you use to cut down the board? I would hate to damage the base.

jbeletti

Welcome to the forum and to the Heartland family. I don't have an answer for your bed question but someone will chime in soon.

So I have to ask, is there an Old Leatherneck Man as well? Just curious.

Jim