In NT, how to bypass water heater?

We are the MacNicol family and new to the owners group. Through a very round about way we have landed in a 2013 Heartland North Trail 35 QBSS and we love it. I was trying to ask a question about by-passing my hot water heater for winterizing to make sure I did it correctly, however this is the only place that I can post I think. I greatly appreciate all of the knowledge and insight shared on here and my wife has found a few checklists very useful. Thanks

danemayer

Re: New to forum and trying to post a question

Hi ctmacnicol,

Welcome to the Heartland Family and to the Heartland Owners Forum. As you've already found out, there's a lot of useful information here along with a lot of friendly and helpful people.

Since you figured out how to start a new thread, I'm not sure why you couldn't do so in other sections of the forum.

Anyway, what's the question about the water heater?

Thanks for the welcome! I have drained the hot water heater by pulling the drain plug and releasing the pressure valve. Under neath the sink where the hot water heater is, I could only find two on/off valves (one on the cold line and one on the hot line), if these are shut off is that all I have to do to bypass for me to put in anti freeze and not get it into the hot water heater? Thanks for the reply

danemayer

New to forum and trying to post a question

I'm not familiar with the North Trail setup, but I expect another NT owner will jump in shortly to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bruce11

We used to have a 2011 north trail qbs, our hot water heater was in the pass through storage after removing a panel. From memory last year I had 3 valves, hot, cold, & bypass. I shut off the hot and opened the bypass. This year we have 2012 Sundance 5er water heater is under the sink & there are 3 values. Good luck.

chasdvorak

Welcome to the forum MacNicols,

I have owned several RV's and am familiar with some 2 and 3 valve bypass systems. The systems accomplish the same thing by using manual valves and in many cases a check valve to divert the antifreeze from flowing into the hot water heater. If you Google "rv hot water heater bypass diagram" you will see several diagrams and photos of hot water heater bypass systems.

Since this is your first attempt, I would suggest getting some advice from your dealer or someone who is familiar with RV's. It generally takes 2-3 gallons of antifreeze to winterize an RV. On my first attempt several years ago, I went through almost 5 gallons of antifreeze before I realized I left the low point drains in the open position thereby winterizing the dirt.

olcoon

Yes it does, make sure you get RV antifreeze make sure the label says non toxic. DO NOT use the windshield antifreeze, or the antifreeze you would put in your automobile engine. Here is a link for a wiki article from Heartland on how to winterize.