No shore or Gen power, it seems

Moni

Hi Everyone,
We just got a "new to us" 2008 Heartland Toyhauler. This is our first with an onboard generator (onan cummins 5500) so please forgive our ignorance on this stuff. Here is the sequence of events that I am trying to piece together to diagnose the issue and could really use help from more experienced folks out there!!

Took it out for the first time this past weekend. Plugged into shore power Friday night and everything worked fine all weekend, even ran both AC's. On Sunday when we were packing up, I started bringing the slides back in and in the middle of it, heard a long beep and then lights started dimming. It became apparent we were then on battery power. We couldn't figure out why the shore power wasn't working. We cranked up generator but the batteries were too weak to help it start. We plugged into the truck and finally the gen started up. We were then able to bring in slides. What I can't remember is if we were still connected to the truck when we finished bringing in the slides....I assumed the gen was providing power and maybe they camp shut off shore power??? It was late in the day and we just trying to get home. So, once we got it home, I started up the gen, let out the slides and started cleaning. After a while I noticed the lights were not very bright. It became apparent, even though the gen was running, we weren't getting power from the gen. So now, power from shore and gen don't seem to be working. Only power from plug to truck. What are we doing wrong?

On last tidbit. Just went to try to trouble shoot it again. Gen started ok. Let the slides out and just a few minutes later, tried to pull them back in. Gen still was running, but lights were getting dim. When I would let go of slide switch lights got brighter (of course) but seemed to be slowly dimming?? Hit the slide switch again and gen sputtered then quit.

We have a breaker box and fuse box near floor by the fridge. Nothing appeared to be tripped. I checked the fuse for "12v outlet" and that seemed ok. (I haven't checked them all though). I heard there may be fuse on the converter itself but don't know where to find it. Could the transfer switch be a problem? Any way to rule out one or the other? Thanks for your help!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Moni, Welcome to the Heartland Forum & Family. I personally have no experience with on board generators but I'm confident you will get some help soon. We have many members with genny experience. Hopefully it's a simple fix and you can get back out with no worries.

danemayer

Hi Moni,

Most of your lights are 12V. So if they dim, it indicates the battery is low. If the same thing happens while plugged into shore power, the common factor is that the Power Converter provides 12V to charge the battery and to the 12V systems to help run things. Starting the generator also depends on battery charge. The slides use a lot of battery power, and a depleted battery would match the symptoms experienced there as well.

This could be a worn out battery, but with lights dimming while plugged into shore power, it's more likely that either the Power Converter has a) blown a fuse, b) failed, or c) been interrupted at the 12V circuit breaker near the battery.

Look for a buss bar near the battery. There will be several 12V automotive type circuit breakers. One of them is a manual reset and that's the one that may have tripped. I'm attaching some pictures.

If you take a voltage reading on the battery, while plugged into shore power, you should read > 13V. If it does, the Power Converter is working. If the problem continues, it's probably the battery.

If you press the reset button on the circuit breaker, and you don't get > 13V on the battery, you'll have to take a look at the Power Converter, which is usually behind the basement wall. There are 3 fuses to check. Also make sure it's plugged in and inside the coach, flip the circuit breaker off and on to make sure it hasn't lost power there.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 23
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 30

sdrubrecht

Could be several things. When the genny is on, do any plugs power anything you plug in? If not, check the front of the genny, pull off the cover and you will find 2 breakers. check that they are on. The transfer switch and converter should be behind the panels in the basement. If the screws are still stock, you will need a #2 square drive to remove the panels. The converter is usually under the toilet and the transfer switch can be located by following the shore power cord to a grey box about 6" square. Check the converter for internal fuses, usually 3. When you start your genny, about 10 seconds or so a loud knock can be heard when the transfer switch energizes the coach. If you have a multi meter, the converter should be putting out over 13 volts to the battery, also check that the converter is plugged in. 110 volt testers could show you where the problem might be, but if you are not confident with high voltage, please seek professional help here. Also sounds like your batteries may be dead or no good. If you have a seperate charger, you might hook that up and let them charge for a while.
Good luck and happy travels to you.

DougS

Doug S
If your main breaker is good, you might want to check your transfer switch. My transfer switch went out this summer when wires inside shorted out. When I took the cover off the switch, you could see the burned wires. A multimeter will confirm if the switch is good or bad.

porthole

Retired
Moni
Sounds like your converter is not charging. Like above, either because of AC supply, popped fuse or breaker or the converter is bad.

A simple no tools test to start troubleshooting.

Trailer unplugged, generator off.
Have someone be near the basement storage area listening. Plug in shore power. You should hear a "clunk" when the auto transfer switch closes and sends power to the 120 panel box.
If you don't hear the clunk you have to go from there.

If you do hear a clunk, plug a 110 appliance in to see if it works. If it does you then have a converter issue.

Next, while still on shore power, start the generator. After about 30 seconds the transfer switch should automatically switch over to gen power, with a clunk ghat is obvious. The generator is given priority in the Cyclones.

All of this is also assuming you do not have a protection device like the Progressive EMS. That product will add an additional "clunk" to the sequence "if" the input supply is within specs.

iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Here is a manual on the convertor you probably have showing the external fuse locations on page 6:
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...200_Series_Progressive_Dynamics_Converter.pdf

Just as a note, there is a LIBRARY of online manuals for appliances devices/systems in the Heartland RV's at the "Tools" tab at the top of every forum page, then click on "Manuals", and follow the submenus to the manual you need.

A DC voltmeter across your RV battery will tell you when it is getting charged. Simply put, you will read a higher voltage (up to 14.4 volts) when the battery is being charged, than when it is not being charged. The converter has an internal fuse that is not accessible without drilling rivets to open the case. Progressive Dynamics has a reduced cost exchange program for broken units, or a new one will cost about $230 at an RV parts supplier.

Other people have given you good advice on AC power supply, 12 volt DC system, and batteries. I'm sure you will get this right.