Decals Coming Off

Wharton

Our rig is 3 years old and the decals are coming loose. Can anything be done about this. I have never seen this before in an Rv. Our last rv was 10 years old and fine, our truck is 12 years old and fine. I saw this on another Heartland a few weeks ago, that one was 6 years old.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can call Heartland Parts and they will email a PDF to you outlining all of the graphics on your rig.
Choose the part number and order the ones you need.
They are not difficult to put on, but do require some patients and minimal skill.

Peace
Dave

Wharton

That's good to know and I will do that. I am more upset with the decals coming off, if it was only my rig and one decal, OK, application problem but when I saw another rig with a majority of the decals coming off I am thinking it is another issue.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would think that you really can't compare the two rigs. The decals react to all kinds of different conditions do it differently. The way its washed, parked, the sun, I would think all would react differently to the way ones decals last. Just my thoughts.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our rig is near 7 years old with no sign of decals coming loose. If you've used a pressure washer, that may cause the edges to start peeling. Otherwise, I don't know anything we've done to prevent them from coming off. I did wax the rig when new so maybe that helped to adhere the edges. Just a guess...

rick_debbie_gallant

Mine started to curl up on the off door side. They are curling all around the decal and started last year. Maybe I should have said something about it but did not think anything could be done.

GOTTOYS

Decals are cheap and easy to replace. Just order some new ones and get her done...Anybody's guess as to why they won't stick. Some say not to wax them, others say to protect them with 303..I don't wax or put anything on mine. They're doing just fine. Once they are removed I would clean the side off with some automotive wax and grease remover, wipe that down and get it nice and clean and put the new ones on. Spray the area with a light soapy water mixture and spray the back of the decal with same. This will allow you to move it a bit and get the proper placement. Rub it down with a plastic squeegee or even a credit card, wipe off the water and let it sit and dry. Call Heartland customer service and they will set you up with new ones...Don

Wharton

Thanks for the instructions on the decals. I asked Heartland for instructions and they don't have any....................Would heating the decal after application with the hair dryer help it stick better?

scottyb

I have watched the professionals do it on our Lucas Oil Racing equipment, including full body wraps. They do it just like GOTTOYS prescribed. I have never seen them use anything to dry it afterwards.

GOTTOYS

A little heat from from a heat gun or even a hair dryer will help get them off. You may need to scrape a little with a single edge razor blade. Be very careful not to stretch them when installing. Shouldn't need any heat unless you need to soften them if you are going around a curve. Use lots of soap and water to help move them around. When you're done just letting them sit in the sun will help dry them off and set the adhesive. If you have any real small bubbles don't worry about them. In time they will go away on their own. If you mess one of them up take it off and replace it. Once they get wrinkled or stretched they are done..Once you see the prices you won't mind replacing them. They really don't cost much..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our BH is 5 years old and all the decals on the ODS have gone bad except the lite colored ones. The front of the coach sets due south in the summer sun....so do the math. Though about removing them and having them painted on.

Vtxkid

I lost my decals from the sun on my last tt, so I don't take any chances with my Cyclone and keep 303 on all of them. RV is going on 2.5 years old an all looks new!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

HOGHAULER

there is a plastic squeegee the prof. use it comes with a cloth sleeve that protects the decal surface. after using water with some dawn soap to lubricate and keep decal from sticking work the water and any bubble out from the center to edges and as always look on you-tube for a video on how to do anything.!

ParkIt

We used to have to strip decals that had been on commercial vehicles, in a shop we had these huge infrared lamps to warm it up then use a plastic edge grout remover to get it going. Once you get a corner or edge lifted, use a steady pull, if it starts to tear heat it up again (hair dryer?) just keep using your fingers and not something sharp.

It most likely wouldn't matter if it faced the sun directly to see bubbles or peeling, just heat alone will make them stretch and at night when its cooler they shrink sometimes causing bubbles or peeling.
Hope you get it fixed soon :)