Off Season Maintenance

JeremyN

Well Guys,

Here in Wisconsin, November starts bringing in the off-season for me. Just before this camping season, I bought a 2007 Chevy 2500HD crew cab with the 6.0L gas motor. I know the dealership went through most of the fluids on the truck, but I don't know how many they actually changed. So during this off-season, I plan on changing the rear end fluid and the tranny fluid.

Is there any other maintenance items that you guys think I should have my dealer check over?

Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you have an 07 you might want to think about a cooling system flush and fresh anti-freeze.
A fuel filter would also be on my list.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Often overlooked is Brake Fluid. This is especially true on vehicles towing heavy trailers. The stuff up in the master cylinder might look good but down in the calipers, it gets pretty dark.

mobilcastle

Have them pull your breaks and check them. They can clean up and lube your slides while they are apart. Good truck-that motor has been a workhorse for GM.

JeremyN

Have them pull your breaks and check them. They can clean up and lube your slides while they are apart. Good truck-that motor has been a workhorse for GM.

Thanks. I honestly love the truck. I was looking at diesel's, but didn't really have the extra $4,000 to $5,000 on me to buy one. This 6.0L engine has plenty of power for me though. You are absolutely correct in saying that it is a workhorse.

TeJay

here's a couple of items to consider. Brakes have been mentioned. The fluid does not circulate like oil and antifreeze. A brake fluid flush would be good. Most people don't do it just because they don't but it is a good idea. Really, really consider synthetic fluid for your differentials. Ford has been using them for years. We had a 1999 Ford V-10 chassis and the differential had synthetic. I don't know what GM recommends but I would do it. I've used synthetid oil and differential fluids for years. You can't get anything better. JMTCW

TeJay

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
For the rear end I have always liked royal purple. If you don't tow much run the 90w. If you tow often run 140w.