Range Hood Light

jrlebaron

The light on the range hood is almost useless. Does anyone know of brighter bulb that can be installed in the hood? DW and I were in the kitchen and both said how much light there is every where but over the range when you are trying to cook. Maybe it's done that way so you can't see what you might be eating.
Jim

HappyKayakers

Pop the cover off the light and replace it with almost any other 12v light in your rig. I pulled one from our bathroom light. Now the light in the bathroom is a little softer and the light over the stovetop is actually usable

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't remember the wattage on the range light but you can remove it and make note of the bulb number, go to any auto parts store and check the wattage for that bulb. Next, buy a bulb with " a few" more watts having the same contact configuration on the bottom. Don't increase the wattage too much as it may get too hot for the lens. I think 15 watts is what we used.

HappyKayakers

When I took ours out, no markings were visible. But, it looked just like a standard 921 bulb. Same size, shape, socket. Only difference - it was painted a silver/gray color to reduce the light output. I replaced it with a clear 921 bulb.

jrlebaron

Thanks for the responses. I popped the bulb out no markings but when I go out i'm taking it with me to an auto store.
Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another option would be to mount a couple of 12V pocket lights up in the range hood and wire them to the switch. That will definitley light up your stovetop. Mount with 3M mounting tape.

Dutchman

Another option is to leave the lens cover off. I did that on ours and my wife says it's much easier to see over the cooktop now.....

jrlebaron

HappyKayaker i did the same thing you did went and bought a 921 bulb and replace my bulb. Works great. Come to find out DW's cooking looks better now. LOL. Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
HappyKayaker i did the same thing you did went and bought a 921 bulb and replace my bulb. Works great. Come to find out DW's cooking looks better now. LOL. Jim

The 921 bulb worked like a champ! I can finally see to cook.

jpmorgan37

I think that I have pulled every light bulb in my Landmark and bought spares. After the first couple that I bought at Walmart for over $4 each, I got on e-bay and now I buy them 6 to 10 at a time. Doing it this way and combining shipping I usually end up around $1 each or less. And the nice thing about it is when a bulb burns out, I've already got the replacement. The Dometic convection microwave that is in our Landmark came with a 20w bulb for the range hood. I replaced it with a 35w and now, even I can see.

John

Mariposa

LED's

hi
After hearing something about not being able to see what was cooking, the cook wanted more light. Not the cheapest way to go, but LED's work very well, and don't heat up. I do have to take care of the cook. I am slowly replacing other lights with LED's. Less power is used, might mean longer battery life when dry camping and the light is a different color.
Bob

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I think that I have pulled every light bulb in my Landmark and bought spares. After the first couple that I bought at Walmart for over $4 each, I got on e-bay and now I buy them 6 to 10 at a time. Doing it this way and combining shipping I usually end up around $1 each or less. And the nice thing about it is when a bulb burns out, I've already got the replacement. The Dometic convection microwave that is in our Landmark came with a 20w bulb for the range hood. I replaced it with a 35w and now, even I can see.

John

The 921 bulb worked like a champ! I can finally see to cook...but, now I don't want to eat. What was the old bulb number?

fljlcw

Mariposa
Ive been thinking of doing the same thing where did you find the bulbs or did you have to replace the entire light

ChopperBill

I installed a 12v 18" dual bulb florescent light next to the range hood. Got my 12 volts from the hood itself. Not only lights up the stove good it lights up the rest of the counter. Took about 1/2 hour under $20.

jpmorgan37

Lefty;

My range hood takes a G8 bulb and they come in different wattage. Mine originally was a 20 watt and I went for a 35 watt. I could have bought a 50, but glad I didn't. It would have been too bright.

John

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty;

My range hood takes a G8 bulb and they come in different wattage. Mine originally was a 20 watt and I went for a 35 watt. I could have bought a 50, but glad I didn't. It would have been too bright.

John

I can live with the brightness...it's having to use a flashlight to see if it's time to turn the bacon that got to me. I'm pulling all of the incandescent stuff and replacing it with florescent.

Ok, I can't put my makeup on right under the glow...but, now I can at least see the mirror!;)

The light on the range hoods is almost useless. Does anyone know of brighter bulb that can be installed in the hood? DW and I were in the kitchen and both said how much light there is every where but over the range when you are trying to cook. Maybe it's done that way so you can't see what you might be eating.
Jim
you should take a look at the LED Strips, they are very bright, flexible and use very little energy. you can stick them anywhere

Last edited:

traveler44

After removing the grey coated bulb I tried to install the clear 921 and I tried a 906 too but the only one that fits tightly in the socket is the original-- the others just fall out. Day 2 --I got the socket down and squeezed it with a needle nose and now the 921 fits snug enough and there is alot more light on the stove. Thanks Tom M.

Last edited: