Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just installed the MS Streets & Trips. So far I am really impressed. They have a new part which is a Mega File. It has a lot of POI's that you can turn on an off. It also has clearances. If you use, have used or plan to use Streets & Trips I suggest you look into this and their forum. I joined it and found out some things I didn't know..

Here are some screen captures of the Mega File and the look of the New Map.

S&T Map.jpg

Mega POI - 1.jpg Mega POI - 2.jpg Mega POI - 5.jpg

Mega POI - 4.jpg Mega POI - 3.jpg

BC

pegmikef

Hey Bob, That really looks slick. Can we just buy any upgrade or do we need to get a whole new package (although I seem to remember it wasn't very pricey)? Thanks, Mike

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
No mac version.
You can try it free for 14 days.
http://www.microsoft.com/Streets/en-us/default.aspx
Streets can export as gpx files and so gps devices that support gpx files should be able to use route destination and waypoints.
Download the trial and try it before you spend the money if it does not work with your garmin gps.

Be sure to add the megafile poi that was mentioned earlier.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hey Bob, That really looks slick. Can we just buy any upgrade or do we need to get a whole new package (although I seem to remember it wasn't very pricey)? Thanks, Mike

You can buy the full version on from the website for $39.99. It looks like you can get it from New Egg for $34.95. I don't know of any upgrade. I normally download it or go buy a new version...

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, do you know if it will transfer destinations and waypoints to a Garmin GPS

I don't think so. S&T does run on your compter and if you have a gps dogle it will work. I have a Microsoft gps dongle that works if you want to use your computer on the highway.. But I don't think you can run it directly by uploading it to, say a garmin gps device like my 465t.

I can't see any way to take a file with a route and import it into Garmin software, either Basecamp or MapSource..

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
No mac version.
You can try it free for 14 days.
http://www.microsoft.com/Streets/en-us/default.aspx
Streets can export as gpx files and so gps devices that support gpx files should be able to use route destination and waypoints.
Download the trial and try it before you spend the money if it does not work with your garmin gps.

Be sure to add the megafile poi that was mentioned earlier.

I agree.. The mega file is great. It is what is called a template file... Ending in .stt . You can take and make a map that you use most often save it as an .stt file then load it and modify it for different triips. You can also take the original map and save it so that S&T will load it every time you launch it. You should backup the orginal file New North American Map.stt before you save the new modfied file. When you go to save the file as a template it will take you to the correct folder. I made a file that had all the profile settings the way I want it and saved it as my New North American Map.stt.

You can make a file that you like, launch the mega file then pick thigs out of it for your trip and paste it into the working file you are making. This is really cool. A lot of things are in this file and we as users can also help make the mega file better by sending information to the persons maintaining the file. There is a campground near me that is not in the database. I am going to give them the name and location so people can find it.

I use S&T to plot out my route and keep a S&T file with every location we have stopped each year by using the stop feature. This told me that we had pulled the BH 9,495.4 miles in 2012.

I also use Basecamp to upload waypoints and routes to my 465t. It is the new software Garmin is developing and many useres do not like it. It is run like a dabase file reather than a simple file app that you safe each route as a seperate file. Basecamp keeps all the waypoints and routes in the same file. There are some good points about this but the biggest problem is that it gets confusing and cluttered when everything is kept in one file/database... But it is free and that is the way they want to program their application program. I am getting use to it & can use it. I just wish they would publish upgrades to Basecamp that were solid with out as many problems.

BC

back2nature

We have the 2010 version and I use it to plan all our RV trips and stops. It's great. Maybe now I should upgrade to the 2013 version. Looks like there are some neat new things.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
You can send a location or a saved route to a GPS Device by clicking on the "Send to GPS Device" icon in the tool bar. Or by right clicking on the location or route, then selecting "Send to GPS Device".

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had MS Streets & Trips 2013 for a few months but have only used it for basic routing and poi's. I've been using their mapping software for several years. This is great stuff I didn't know was in there. Thanks Bob!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You can send a location or a saved route to a GPS Device by clicking on the "Send to GPS Device" icon in the tool bar. Or by right clicking on the location or route, then selecting "Send to GPS Device".

Hay Terry... I looked at my S&T and found "Send to iPhone" I could not find "Send to GPS Device" nor when I right clicked on the route. Do you have to have the GPS device connected to the computer?

Thanks to all with the help and information.

BC

pegmikef

Hey Bob, on my 2010 version it is the third icon from the right on the tool bar (it is grey has a right arrow pointing to a road) . . . maybe it is different on the 2013 version.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Bob,

Yes the GPS needs to be plugged into the computer.

I just installed the MS Streets & Trips. So far I am really impressed. They have a new part which is a Mega File. It has a lot of POI's that you can turn on an off. It also has clearances. If you use, have used or plan to use Streets & Trips I suggest you look into this and their forum. I joined it and found out some things I didn't know..
BC

Hi Bobcat - I'm the creator of the POI Megafile video that is seen on the Microsoft Blog at the 'Mega File' link you provided in your post.

If you or anyone else have any questions on using Street and Trips - Please feel free to drop me a line. Chances are - I've got a video that will help answer your question.