I Ball Hitch Camera

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am looking at a portable back up camera system to aid in hitching up the 5er and my utility trailers. I do not want a hard wired unit, as I use other vehicles to tow. I saw an advertisement for an I Ball Hitch Cam and after reviewing the web site, it seems like a nice, simple system. Easy set up, 1-9 volt battery, able to mount it different locations and the monitor is easily adjustable for viewing. Has anyone used this system or know of a similar system that works well and in that price range.($139)

Thanks for the help.
Jamie

JWalker

Hitching the 5er is not much of a problem, but with the dually fenders sticking out, it blocks the view of my lower equipment trailer.

RoadJunkie

Boy, you guys have better eyes than I do! The screens seem so small. I have a backup camera (Ford Option) with the screen located in the rear view mirror and--for me--it is just about useless because of the postage stamp screen.

I can tell ya what not to do.... I bought a Wireless camera system from Auto Zone. It works great for backing up. I put it in a project box (you can get from Radio Shack) so I can take it off when not in use. But this is where I went too far, I decided it would be a good idea to use it as a rear camera behind the camper. So I spliced a trailer socket to the license plate light on the trailer. Figured an elaborate mount system so it could be level and give a good view. After all of that messing around and money spent, the moment of truth, I turned on the monitor and low and behold nothing but static. The particular wireless camera I bought has a low range and I never took that into account. It was either that or I am not getting enough power to give it enough range.

DonnyB007

I purchased and installed a Canadian Tire back up camera. It cost me 100 bucks on sale and just works great! Beautiful full colour picture when you put your truck in reverse. It works off of 11 voltage supply for the front and rear units. I spliced into the back up wiring for the rear remote unit and the front video unit plugs into your cigarette lighter. 10/10 for my assessment so far and I use it nearly every time I reverse.

rgwilliams69

Bought my dad the I-Ball for Christmas (paid the same price you listed), I can let you know how he likes it after Christmas. He uses two different tow vehicles for TT and this system looks easy to move. I have the factory camera on my F350 and it works great - but I do have the navigation option with the much bigger screen than the rearview mirror one. I really like the guide lines and would make sure that whatever type you get has the lines on it.

oscar

Been using the iBall for a year now. Works like a charm and with NO wiring it is easy, and portable to other vehicles, and it is affordable.

3 observations. It apparently works on Blue Tooth wavelengths......your phone "pairing" with your truck gives some interesting visuals......
Also, the camera has a 9 volt battery in it, and it is very intolerant of an older battery. I replace it regularly. Finally, you HAVE to have some
routine that makes you remember to take the camera off the tail gate..... I did 100 miles once, and to it's credit it was still there.....all but
for the magnet.....:rolleyes:

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I put a piece of yellow tape on my tool box and one on the hitch of the 5er, line them up and, well works every time without fail.

jnbhobe

I put a piece of yellow tape on my tool box and one on the hitch of the 5er, line them up and, well works every time without fail.

I used white tape on mine, a piece about a foot long on each, and your right it works perfect every time.

TXTiger

I just line up the middle rear seat headrest with the pin box, gets me pretty close. But I would love a rear view camera for backing into a campsite. Have a backup camera in the tailgate of the F-350 for backing up without the rig in tow but I travel alone and don't have a passenger to guide me backing up the rig into the campsite. Anybody have any recommendations on a good backup camera?

JWalker

I just line up the middle rear seat headrest with the pin box, gets me pretty close. But I would love a rear view camera for backing into a campsite. Have a backup camera in the tailgate of the F-350 for backing up without the rig in tow but I travel alone and don't have a passenger to guide me backing up the rig into the campsite. Anybody have any recommendations on a good backup camera?

According to the website, it shows the IBall has enough range to be placed on the back of the trailer and be used as a back up camera for the trailer. Just attach to the back bumper or stick it to the license plate.

oscar

According to the website, it shows the IBall has enough range to be placed on the back of the trailer and be used as a back up camera for the trailer. Just attach to the back bumper or stick it to the license plate.

Tried that......not so much. Yes, it reaches, but not sure if the lens angle on the iBall is not wide enough or what, but it's hard to see what the heck is going on from the bumper. Now, taking a small piece of metal plate, and siliconing it to the TOP of the rear end and then sticking the iBall UP there may work. Better angle to see things.