Silverado Shutter

• Thread starter norm reinbold jr
  • Start date
N

norm reinbold jr

Have a 2007 3500 silverado duramax diesel 4 door 8 ft bead allison 6 speed.When taking off from a dead stop pulling my 5th wheel i get a shutter for about the first 30+ feet.The truck has a two piece drive shaft.Does anyone else have this problem Norm

Forrest Fetherolf

norm,

Try to duplicate the shutter condition by starting off in "D", "M", and "L" with and without the tow haul engaged. If the condition disappears in any of these positions, the tranny is the cause, if not, the tranny or drive train (u-joints, drive shaft, etc) would be suspect. Normally a drive train shutter would continue at any speed. Whenever towing, the tow/haul should be engaged to allow the computer to adjust the shift pattern for the load conditions.

Forrest

jimtoo

In the past GM has been known to have a driveline shudder in some vehicles. This usually only happens when loaded as you describe. It probably does not happen if you make a very slow start off, or not as violent of shudder, only under power. The shudder is caused by increased angle of the rear u-joint as torque is applied to move vehicle from a standstill. A good dealer can install tapered shims to rotate axle up a few degrees to a position that will stop the shudder. I know there was a GM bulletin about this a few years back and it is not a very common problem.

You do not say what your pinweight is or how much load you have, but if your overloaded, that would be adding to the problem.

Jim

ct0218

Jim is right, mostly a problem with the 2001 thru early 2003 trucks, not all bodies as I remember. Seems like the cure was replacing the 2 piece with a 1 piece driveshaft. You can go to thedieselplace.com forum and find a lot of info if you do a search, and post in the current year section to see if others have the problem. Haven't heard of that problem for a few years now.