Ramp issues causing 2nd thoughts on buying.

azdryheat

I joined this forum because wife and I were looking at Big Horns. We recently realized a TH would better suit us as we could take our Goldwing with us. We researched the Cyclone's and found the 3010 and really like it. The 3010 has a great floor plan and the 10' garage is the perfect size.

Then I read many threads here about ramp failures and it is a cause for much concern. Seeing pictures of ramps splitting up the middle and ramps failing near the hinges. Now I don't have much confidence buying a Cyclone for fear of how the ramp will hold up to the weight of my Goldwing. Ease my fears. Thanks.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 3010 comes with an 8' ramp door that has a 3000 lbs cappasity, it is more than enough for your Goldwing.

sbuckman

Do not let the few issues you are seeing with door ramps detour you from getting a toy hauler. You may have seen my post where we are having an issue, but this is our second toy hauler and we had not issues at all with our first one. It would be like never driving because you saw a wreck. They issues with the ramps, while do happen are few and far between. The flexibility you get with a toy hauler is immense and I would hate to see you turned away from one because of a fairly rare issue.

Stacey Buckman

beasleyrl

We don't put bikes in 3912 but do take a golf cart almost everywhere. I believe the wight on the cart is close to 1,000 pounds with the batteries in it. In the 4 years we've had our Cyclone, we have had no issues with the door and it has been heavily used (from Maine to the Florida Keys). I'll second what Stacey said - "I would hate to see you turned away from one because of a fairly rare issue."

TheLindsays

Think of all the fun you will miss out on by worrying about something that may not happen to you... we haul a golf cart but we have met many that haul bikes and been on some amazing scenic roads around some of the campgrounds that would be great for a day venture on a bike.... what a way to discover our beautiful country :)

scottyb

I had the same thoughts after reading a few post. I haul a 4010 4x4 Mule (1750 lb) in mine. I have only had it about 3 months, but the ramp door seems very solid. I have the patio option and some say that the door is reinforced for this option, but I have no proof that is the case. Get the patio option and whether it is/is not reinforced, you will enjoy it anyway. We have already enjoyed BBQ ing with the Weber gas grill on ours.

IMG_1852.jpg

porthole

Retired
We have a 3010, 3 1/2 seasons with it hauling an 800 pound dresser and/or an 800 pound golf cart. No problems with the ramp.
At times you can see the seam down the middle but it is a plywood backing and plywood doesn't come in 8x8 sheets that would be needed to eliminate that seam.

CFT24700

I have been around cyclones for many years and i have never heard of the ramp door failing near the hinges. I have seen large side by sides that are bigger than a goldwing going in all the time. There is good and bad about everything.. Maybe the person that is saying that maxed out the ramp all the time and cracked it some how.. Miss use anything and it will fail at some point.. Cyclone is a good all around 5th wheel toy hauler. I say buy

TXTiger

In the older models of the 3010 there was only a 7 foot ramp door. The newer models now have an 8 foot ramp door that has a longer angle and should be more weight bearing. Not sure if the 3010 has a patio door option, I have a 4014. I have been told that the patio ramp door is beefed up compared to the models without the patio option. I have only had my Cyclone 6 months and have a heavy Harley Davidson. No problems so far. If you want to have peace of mind, look at models with the patio door option only and hopefully you will have no problems.

AJJONES

The 3010 does have the patio option. With the patio option comes a thin layer of metal laminated in the ramp door (to prevent patio furniture from puncturing through). Every manufacturer uses the same ramp door manufacturer (Lippert). The only real difference that you will find is Heartland is the only manufacturer that uses 4 rubber bump stops (all of our competitors use 3). In out testing this made a huge difference in the weight distribution of heavy loads. Heartland is also the only manufacturer to use steel gussit plates in the corners of the ramp door frame for structural rigidity (which will insure that the door will seal properly after years of usage). If you look at most of our competitors toy haulers after years of usage the door will have huge seal voids because the actual framing starts to bend.

We had an issue with our ramp and it was when I loaded our Gold Wing Trike. I thought I was doing the right thing by centering it right up the middle of the ramp but when I drove it up the ramp it caused the ramp to split at the seam of the ramp. I called Heartland and told them about it and I asked about putting aluminum tread plate on the ramp and they said it would be alright if I did that but don't exceed 1/8th inch plate. So I put 2 sheets of it on the ramp and put the seam horizontal, not verticle, and even though it made the ramp heavier it really helped. I know the door will not cause us anymore problems, and I have to remember that on sunny days don't look directly on the ramp when it's down because it WILL hurt your eyes! We really do love our Cyclone 3612HD and even though this is our first one, I know it will not be our last one either. There really is a quality difference with the Cyclones and it shows in their craftsmanship and quality of their products. You wont be disappointed with the 3010 or what ever model you end up getting. Please don't let an issue discourage you from not getting a quality toy hauler when there are just a select few that may have a problem with one issue or another.

BarneyFife

The 3010 does have the patio option. With the patio option comes a thin layer of metal laminated in the ramp door (to prevent patio furniture from puncturing through). Every manufacturer uses the same ramp door manufacturer (Lippert). The only real difference that you will find is Heartland is the only manufacturer that uses 4 rubber bump stops (all of our competitors use 3). In out testing this made a huge difference in the weight distribution of heavy loads.

This is not true. Forest River XLR Thunderbolts use five.

1231ChaseB

If you get this unit when you get it home stand behind it with the ramp door closed and look at it like it's a picture with the aluminum trim as the picture frame and the fiberglass as the picture ! Now get a tube of silicone and run a bead where the picture meet's the frame ! JMHO but water CAN get into the inner part of the ramp and eventually weaken the wood in there ! When it rain's or when you wash it water IS going to get in there ! Maybe the new unit's have the silicone bead on them now ?????????
chaseb

AJJONES

Before you go that direction look very closely at there slide out systems and many other things. I can assure you that buying a heartland will give you the best value for your money. Not to mention the most reliable toy hauler I the industry. Which models are you comparing it to in the Voltage?

BarneyFife

Thanks again for the replies, this has been a great forum. Wife and I went shopping today and got a first-hand look at all the various trailer brands up close. We're getting a Voltage.

Great choice. They are beautiful campers and will be very high on our list when we get rid of our Cyclone.

I see they also have four rubber bump stops just like Heartland uses.

Hope yours goes well and you have many wonderful and safe travels.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I've had my 2009 Cyclone 3950 for close to 5 years. I load a Harley, riding right up the center of the door. It is the exact unit that I and a jillion others toured at a show! Since I bought it, it has been back to a dealer for repairs, uh...oh, yeah...never! (Knock on wood, don't need to jinx myself!). I've not had a problem with my door! I do love that Patio option - I wonder if Heartland is installing those 'retroactively' on the models that missed out! :angel: :cool: :confused: Surely there's a post about that going on?

dbhutchins

If you believe you can't have ramp problems unless you misuse the ramp, then you've missed the saga of our 3210. See here:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/28726-ATF-Cyclone-Loading-ramp-failure?p=225418#post225418
Now: I would also not let this keep me from buying a TH. The flexibility of the thing is fabulous. But there's little doubt that this Lippert door is a poor design, and that if you get water inside it, you WILL have a problem eventually. You can see on my thread what I did. Overkill maybe, but I'm NEVER gonna have a door fall apart on me again!
Happy Hauling!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I checked with Lippert and the patio is only to be added at the manufacturer level. They say that a thin sheet of metal is installed under the no-skid to keep furniture from poking holes.

BTW, I nixed the Voltage as I don't like how their slides work. Still stuck between buying a Cyclone, Fusion, or Raptor.
azdryheat, please keep in mind, the support of Heartland and this Forum. I don't believe you will find better support or customer service anywhere else. I truly believe this is the best Owners Forum available.

cavlino

I think I can ease your fears... I have a 2012 4014 Cyclone TH. I regularly haul a small race car in it. The car weighs 2500 pounds. I check the ramp door and hinges regularly and have not found any stress marks. The key is to ensure the ramp door is level and all the the rubber feet are touching so that the load is spread evenly. This season was my second one with the TH and its been fantastic. I am anxiously waiting on news of the new offering from Heartland hoping the garage space will grow another foot :)