Wheel well plastic decorative trim mounted to fiberglass exterior

mobilcastle

I need to do a repair on one of these(crack). Anyone know what is good to use that will stick to the plastic? Super glue? Auto fiberglass bonding, Expoxy/ Thanks for your info. If I decide to install a new one or used where is the best place to get one new or used? I have never seen a RV bone yard. Thanks for your info.
Steve

Gizzy

I recently replaced one. I called Heartland and ordered it and was surprised that it did not cost as much as I expected. Service was great. Don't forget to get your 10% HOC membership discount.

danemayer

Hi Steve,

If you're talking about a fender, you can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 and ask for the parts department. If you are a member of the Heartland Owners Club, there's a 10% discount on parts purchases. This might be a good time to join.

Here's a link to the thread on the Owners Club benefits. Take a look at post #1.

GOTTOYS

There is a combination ABS and PVC glue that I found in the plumbing department at Lowes that will work..I believe the fender is made of ABS plastic. I think I would just replace it...Don

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Steve... Get a new one and you will have the same problem again, they are poorly designed in that all the flexing is at the attachment points. If you have ever caught a glimpse of them in your rear view mirror going down the road at 60 or 65, you will see they are under constant flexing. I removed both of mine and used some waterproof flashing membrane called "Fortiflash" on the back side. It comes in rolls that are 6 inches wide and is a peel and stick (very adhesive) . I cut several pieces to cover the entire backside including the holes. It give the fender some added stiffness and you will never have to worry about any further problems. Should be able to buy some at a builders supply or roofing company, maybe google it for more info., a construction guy building a new home down the street gave me some leftover (about 3/4 of a roll). I also used it to reseal the coroplast under the trailer where I had cut it open to do some inspection.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Steve... Get a new one and you will have the same problem again, they are poorly designed in that all the flexing is at the attachment points. If you have ever caught a glimpse of them in your rear view mirror going down the road at 60 or 65, you will see they are under constant flexing. I removed both of mine and used some waterproof flashing membrane called "Fortiflash" on the back side. It comes in rolls that are 6 inches wide and is a peel and stick (very adhesive) . I cut several pieces to cover the entire backside including the holes. It give the fender some added stiffness and you will never have to worry about any further problems. Should be able to buy some at a builders supply or roofing company, maybe google it for more info., a construction guy building a new home down the street gave me some leftover (about 3/4 of a roll). I also used it to reseal the coroplast under the trailer where I had cut it open to do some inspection.

Brett, that is a good idea. I had one replaced in Gillette and the new one is cracking already.

Both times it has happened at a screw. Cracking at the bottom screw seems to be common, but now I have one cracking at a top screw.

I always thought they should have been made a little bit thicker to eliminate flexing.

A friend mine glued two together, one on top of the other to get more thickness

I might try something similar to your method of reinforcement. Trace

TeJay

I reinforced all the trim by cutting some 1/2" foam that was covered on both sides with some sort of paper. I think it was intended as insulation. I cut each piece to fit then slathered the inside with silicone put them in place then covered the exposed edges with silicone. When the silicone set they were ridged but still had a little flex. It worked well, was not costly and did stop the flapping in the breeze.

TeJay

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
All the above are good fixes.....BUT...the only way to stop this from happening is to. Make new straps to keep the bottom from flexing. In fact I added more to the fenders. If you use aluminum , it will flex enough to break. Use 1" by 1/8 steel strap and you are good to go. I tried everything over the last 5 years and this is the only thing that has worked.