Tires

sjrellis

We have a 3670 ordered. With all that I am reading about these Chinese tires, it makes me wonder if Heartland is taking a proactive step to addressing the obvious problem (not changing from one Chinese manufacturer to another Chinese manufacturer). It appears that when these tires blow, they are doing damage to the trailers as well as having to replace the tire itself. I really am fretting over this issue. Can anyone tell us that they've been using these assorted Chinese tires and NOT had any problems?

nhunter

I have Trail Americas with no problems. But I am going to replace with Goodyears when these are done.

I have a 2007 3670. It came with LoadStar Karrier H/D ST 235/85R16, Load Range G. Have not had it out very much, 3-4 short "shake down" trips but the tires "seem" to be ok. Haven't read anything negative yet.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
We have a 2006 Bighorn 3055RL with about 7,000 miles on it with LoadStar Karrier ST 235/85R16, Load Range E tires. About 400 miles were in 105 degree temperatures last July in Montana, and maybe another 300 miles in 90+ degrees. We tow at speeds of 60 to 65 mph and check and reduce the tire pressures about every 50-100 miles until the pressure stabilizes at a maximum of 94-96 pounds. I check the tire temperature by hand at every stop. The tires call for a maximum of 90 pounds cold which we check after every overnight stop. I have seen the tire pressure rise up a total of 18 pounds when they got hot. A puzzling thing is even if I reduce the pressure several times in a day, the next day they are still within +/- 4 pounds of 90.:confused:

We have not had any tire failure problems or indications so far .:cool: I try to avoid any road hazards whenever possible and slow down on roads with potholes. Don't know if this helps but makes me feel better.

As many others have stated, we also will be replacing ours eventually with either Goodyears or Michelins. I have seen a brand called Maxxis at a shop in Sheridan WY and wonder if anyone has them. They do appear to be very much like the Karriers.

We'll be heading to Arizona in late October for the winter which should put at least another 5,000 plus miles on the Karriers.:)

Tom & Sharol

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like Tom & Sharol, we have the Karriers and have had no issues (yet). I run the Heartland recommended 80psi and check as Tom does though I've never had to reduce the pressure. We visited our local dealers open house yesterday and looked at the new 3370. It has chinese tires. I think they were Unicorn Express? So to answer the original question, NO Heartland is still providing tires made in China. Truth be told, I think if manufacturers were all trying to use Goodyears, there would be issues of Goodyear not being able to okeep up with production. Maxxis does not offer tires of our capacity. The highest I've seen on thier website is "D".

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Maxxis Tires

Ray LeTourneau said:
Maxxis does not offer tires of our capacity. The highest I've seen on thier website is "D".
Thanks Ray......I forgot to check the tire capacity when I looked at them. Very likely they were were for Travel Trailers.

Tom

khd995

Maxxis does make a Load Range E tire that you can use.

They have a ST235/80R16 10 ply with a weight rating of 3420 lbs. I have been hearing great things about maxxis and will be putting them on my trailer next week. Just a little over $100 a tire. Check out some the rv forums for more info, and or go to maxxis.com. make sure you look under trailer tires. It is a little hard to find.

Ray LeTourneau

I stand corrected on the Maxxis load range. I had been checking for them because we had them on our Jayco and they seemed like a good tire. KD, where did you find the load range "E"?

khd995

It's a little hard to find on their web site. You kind of have to poke around. It seems like the three times I've been on their website I could only find it by stumbling around.

I called Discount tire and they can get them in 2 days. Quoted me a price (mounted balanced with the good valve stems, and disposal of the china bombs. $544 and change.

fishn2dmax

KHD995,

The quote you received is that for four (4) Maxxis ST 235 80 R16 E tires?
If it is, it is the best price I have ever heard of and a whole lot less then what the Maxxis web site is showing.

If you don't mind, what is the name and number of your tire dealer? At that price, I might be way ahead if they shipped the tires to me.

Thx,

Ray LeTourneau

khd995 said:
It's a little hard to find on their web site. You kind of have to poke around. It seems like the three times I've been on their website I could only find it by stumbling around.

I called Discount tire and they can get them in 2 days. Quoted me a price (mounted balanced with the good valve stems, and disposal of the china bombs. $544 and change.
Thanks KDH, I was able to find their site and tire listing. The price from discount tire is excellent. If I remember correctley, the msrp is about $179/tire.