oven burner wont light

bcmoore

i have a Wedgewood oven by Atwood, i turn my oven knob to pilot and manually light burner, then turn the knob to the temperature that i want the oven to heat to, the pilot light then becomes a big flame but doesn't light the oven burner. i had put a pan in the broiler and think i may have bumped something because burner light worked before. anyone have a clue what may have happened. i also tried to light the oven burner manually but nothing.

danemayer

Hi bcmoore,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people who are always willing to help by sharing what they've learned.

First of all, since you didn't mention this, I have to ask if you're holding the Oven Knob pressed IN when trying to get the gas flow started.

I think there's a thermocouple or comparable safety device that has to get up to temperature before the gas flow is turned on to the burner. When the pilot light is on, the thermocouple is normally good to go after 5-10 seconds. In this case, it sounds like it's not sensing the pilot light and therefore not triggering the gas flow. If you bumped the pilot and/or thermocouple, you may have knocked it out of alignment or damaged one of the tubes. Take a look for the thermocouple. It should be very close to the flame of the pilot light. If you bumped it out of position, you may be able to VERY CAREFULLY reposition it.

Don't overlook the possibility of a more general problem with propane flow. Do the range burners work? The furnace?