Does Camping World do good repair work?

Stinger381

My 2 year old Sundance has signifigant damage to the roof. I believe it is dry rot and there are several holes in the roof. I need a new roof and repair work to the interior as well. I have water damage that must be addressed and I fear mold issues too. I took it to my local dealer where I purchased the camper but they no longer sell heartland products and they are not moving on repairing my unit even though the insurance payment has been made to them already. I have spoken to my insurance company and they told me to take it to another shop but I don't know of any that I trust ? Help me with adivce please !:(

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I thought rubber roofs had a long warranty on them, at least more than 2 years, anyways. Unless the damage is the result of you hitting something with the rig, I'd contact Heartland about it and ask them for a dealer in your area to repair it.

pegmikef

I thought rubber roofs had a long warranty on them, at least more than 2 years, anyways. Unless the damage is the result of you hitting something with the rig,

When I had my roof replaced, the warranty on roof material was twelve years and I think that is what it is on rigs manufactured with the rubber (dicor I think) rooves.

Stinger381

I thought rubber roofs had a long warranty on them, at least more than 2 years, anyways. Unless the damage is the result of you hitting something with the rig, I'd contact Heartland about it and ask them for a dealer in your area to repair it.

I have never hit anything with the trailer. I simply had it in storage and went to get it and clean it up for an upcoming trip and there were three patches missing over the bathroom/ Living room area. The roof had leaked inside and done a tremendous amount of damage ($12,000 estimated).I am ticked but I had it insured. My dealer where I bought apparently no longer sells heartland products. He told me when I brought it in that he would demand the roof company replace the roof under warranty but when he found out I had insurance to cover it all he just threw it all on the estimate and never talked to the roofing company. I think I need to get my trailer and start making some calls. There is another good repair shop in town but they don't sell heartland's either and I was thinking if I took it to Camping World, the closest DEALER, they would contact the roof manufacturer and then apply the rest to insurance. I think my dealer is possibly taking me to the cleaners? Maybe he got a replacement roof but charged my insurance company ? I don't know ?

danemayer

Even if Dicor (or whoever) warrants the roof, they'll only cover replacing the defective roofing material (if they even agree there was a defect). Their warranty https://dicorproducts.com/faq/#roof-warranty doesn't cover cost of installation or consequential damages. If you check the insurance estimate, it probably allows a few hundred $ for the new EPDM roof and many thousands for installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

The rubber roof warranty covers the fabric only. no labor, no sealants, no decking. All things considered it's about worthless. I always get a kick out of how the salespeople present it when trying to sell a new RV. They make it sound like the roof is covered for anything and will be replaced at no charge at all. Typically a roof replacement in my neck of the woods runs about $150.00 a lineal foot. If it needs work under it on the decking or ceiling it will be more. $12,000 sounds like an awful lot..if your insurance company will spring for it someone's going to make some pretty good money. If your local dealer won't do it look for an independent that will. From what I've heard CW service centers are hit and miss. More miss. Anybody can work on it. Doesn't have to be a Heartland dealer. A roof is a roof. They're all pretty much the same...JMHO...Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just had my entire roof replaced two months ago, due to hitting a low tree branch.

My residual damage was minimal. Only the metal bullnose that runs front to back on the roof edge of the rig was damaged. (I got lucky).

My insurance adjuster wrote a check to the repair shop totaling almost $7000. (I had a $188.00 deductible)

That included about $1200 for the rubber and materials. The rest was the 50 hour estimate for labor. (It actually took only about 35 hours).

So yes, unless there is significant structural damage inside the rig, $12,000 does seem a bit high.

Back to the OP;

I would find a rated independent "repair only" shop, if you can.

I stuck with my dealer when I was under warranty and was treated "okay", but as soon as I was out of warranty, I found a good independent shop and I have had better luck.

Recently I have begun to read mixed reviews about CW's repair work. Not really sure.

I would go through your insurance company, at least to start.

My insurance company had a list of "preferred shops", but I asked if I could take it to an independent shop that a friend had recommended and they agreed that I could.

Trace

Last edited:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Your insurance company has already paid them and they have not done any work yet? Is that normal?

Stinger381

The insurance company sent a check for $9,200 to the Repair Shop. They did not include some materials and I have a $500 deductible to add to it. The insurance company says the repair shop can file a supplement claim for any overages and get reimbursed but I can't get the shop to get started on it. I am just really starting to get frustrated and impatient with the repair shop. There is damage inside the coach. The carpet is ruined and the walls look like they have warts on them so they have to be replaced along with the ceiling, speakers, and some moldings around the slide. The camper is sitting outside the shop and it rained again today so it's just getting more messed up every day it sits.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Your insurance company has already paid them and they have not done any work yet? Is that normal?

Brett, In my case when my adjuster cut a check to the repair shop, it was before repairs were made.

However, the check was not good until it was endorsed by both myself and the repair shop at the end of the job. Trace

TeJay

Are Camping World's good repair centers???? Good question. Camping worlds are usually a dealer that was bought by CW and set up as a CW center. Therefore they were a repair center of some sort before they became a CW so they are subject to the same problems as are all repair centers. Some are good and some are not good. Your best bet is to find a dealer and get some references. As with most repairs some areas like paint & body, roof repair, and electrical will require a good deal of specialty training, sometimes continuous training on new techniques and changes in materials. Those types of technicians are few and far between. Most RV dealers can't handle body and paint repair unless it's removing & replacing parts. Some will have a good electrical technician, radio installer, satellite guy but they are sometimes limited. Ask good questions. Ask to see defective parts as they come off not after they come off. Sometimes dealers will show you a bad part that they have on the shelf.
JMTCW
TeJay

wdk450

I would look at RVServiceReviews.com to find out what other RVers have posted about servicers.
If you are not happy with your repair not being done, I would complain to your insurance company and have them stop payment on their check (if it hasn't been cashed) or have their large legal staff go after the repairer.
Total payment of the repairer's bill should be the LAST step in the repair process to keep your leverage on them.

Last edited:

Westwind

Just a suggestion, but why not call Heartland, explain what has to be done to your trailer and ask if they have any recommendations on local dealers who would be able to handle the job and do a good job. I'm sure they must know some. If you don't mention a particular dealer then they are not putting one down and recommending another which could bet them in trouble. I would just ask for a recommendation. It's worth a try.

Stinger381

Thanks Guys .... Here is the update for today. I called the shop to let them know they haven't moved on my repairs. The technician says that he can't file a supplememt claim until he tears mine down and starts the repairs. So when I asked him how long until the repairs start, he says today. So apparently they will start the repairs today and complete the repairs in about 2 weeks. Then when I get the trailer back I'll check out the work and decide if I want to trade it for a new one or keep the one I have. Amazing when you threaten to take it some where else how quick they start moving on it. They'll probably just tear it apart where I can't move it and then drag their feet completing the job. I'll keep every one posted on the repairs.

wdk450

You know Camping world is like a selling RV dealer (some Camping World locations do this; others do not) in that they do not rely on repair income as their sole source of revenue, like an independent RV repairer does.

BTW, I remember a posting on one of the other boards I monitor about an owner who was having trouble with Camping World's repair department. While in the waiting area, he saw a banner like this: "If you aren't happy with our products or service, call me", and it gave a toll free number for one of Camping World's V.P.'s. The owner was amazed after making contact on this line when that afternoon this Camping World V.P. e-mailed him from a COMMERCIAL AIRLINE FLIGHT HE WAS ON, and phoned the owner when he got off the plane. The problems that the owner was having with Camping World service for weeks suddenly disappeared, and the store staff was extremely apologetic.

Here is a link to a Camping World Contacts page: http://www.campingworld.com/contact/contactus.cfm

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember tha membership.t now Camping World is in bed with Good Sam Club. If you are a member of Good Sam you get a Camping World discount and no longer need the Camping World President's Club

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
CW in Katy Tx by me has done a great job on repairing my trailer after a tire blew a tore up the side. But there biggest complaint is time. They are booked up were it might be a month before your trailer is looked at. They always seem to have a trailer in getting a new roof. So this CW has experience in replacing a roof.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
CW in Katy Tx by me has done a great job on repairing my trailer after a tire blew a tore up the side. But there biggest complaint is time. They are booked up were it might be a month before your trailer is looked at. They always seem to have a trailer in getting a new roof. So this CW has experience in replacing a roof.

That is funny as I know someone on this forum (I won't mention his name) who has had rotten luck with the Katy Camping World's repair shop

Stinger381

Well tomorrow is the big day for me and the Sundance. I am supposed to go pick Up the 5'ver and I will see how the repairs turned out. If it looks good I will be bringing it home. If it looks shoddy then I may no longer be a member of the Heartland family. Wish me luck otherwise I may be purchasing a new Open Range they have on sale.

GOTTOYS

Well tomorrow is the big day for me and the Sundance. I am supposed to go pick Up the 5'ver and I will see how the repairs turned out. If it looks good I will be bringing it home. If it looks shoddy then I may no longer be a member of the Heartland family. Wish me luck otherwise I may be purchasing a new Open Range they have on sale.
If they don't do a good job on the repairs why would you want to buy another trailer from them? Other brands have problems too that's why all the various brand dealers have service departments..JMHO..Don