Sundance framing/construction

highmiler

Hello all, This is our first post and want to express appreciation for this excellent forum.

We are looking to purchase either a Sundance 2700RL or a Keystone Laredo 265RL. Both are 29'-10" and weigh amost the same. We very much like the amenities and options available on the Sundance along with its superior cabinets and larger tank capacities. The Sundance has 1.5" welded aluminum wall studs. The Laredo has 2" welded aluminum wall studs and 3" welded aluminum floor joists. The Keystone is not hand welded but are CNC with welds which are identically perfect. The Laredo has wooden roof trusses.

Our local Sundance dealer gave us what is obiviously a very old floorplan brochure which touts Sundance's "Lightweight Aluma-Body Construction" and claims "Welded Tubular Aluminum Floor Studs (joists), Sidewall Studs, Roof Trusses, and Support walls." All the trailers he had on the lot had 2x3 wood floor joists. Some research of rigs for sale verifies that Sundance was originally all aluminum framed. The Heartland web site construction brochure download shows wood floor joists and roof trusses.

Since we plan to use this 5er to get out of the South Texas heat for about 4-5 months in the summer, we will be in essence full-timing during the summer months. We would strongly prefer the Sundance for the positive reasons listed, but I am concerned about durability as we want to do some mountain and back-country camping.

When did Sundance switch from aluminum to wood for their floor joists and trusses? What could be a possible reason other than cost cutting? I've seen what a small undetected water leak did to a Forrest River product with wood floor joists where rot did extensive damage.

Lastly, has anyone done any rough-country camping in their Sundance or experienced any framing problems? Thanks in advance for any replys.

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Yes sir, my name is John and I thank you for your interest in the Sundance Product. I Have first hand knoweledge of the Sundance and the Laredo ( i sold them) the main advantage to wood vs metal is the condensations issue. If you would look at the higher end product you can see they added acttic vents to move the air around that small space. I have inlaws(outlaws) that live all over the Great State of Texas and they agree the humidity is something to deal with. Also cost was a huge factor when your dealing with small margins and the skyrocketing price of raw materials, we have units in every state and every condition including Australia. When you compare the two there is no question on the Unit is right for you. Thanks and have fun in your new Sundance

Country

Boy, it's great to see two back to back responses from Heartland Representatives in such a short period of time today. (These posts are not even in the "ask the factory" section and made by different people!)

Way to go Heartland! What a great forum!

highmiler

Roof trusses

Thanks JohnL, I have no problem with the wood roof trusses for the very reason you mentioned. We saw a used Keystone Montana with grey mildew stripes on the inside everywhere the aluminum trusses crossed the roof--obviously a result of neglecting to control the humidity inside the trailer.

However, I would have strongly prefered the aluminum floor joists below and 2" thick aluminum channel in the walls (along with the higher R-value from the thicker wall insulation).

I don't think cutting back on quality materials to stay cost competitive is a good business strategy for the long term.

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Highmiler, something i would like to add is Sundance add's a layer of "Astro Foil" which in the hot Texas summer you will come to enjoy that Astro Foil for reasons like it will reflect the heat coming off the ground and hitting your underbelly, with wood floors there is little heat transfer as well as cold transfer, yes the cost saving of going to wood gave us that layer of Astro Foil, and many other features that the Laredo does not offer. Ask any North American Beaver which material they prefer... I thought so... Sincerely John Sundance Brand Mgr.