What truck to buy

twrose

Everyone I Talk to says their truck is the best. My wife and I just bought a new 2013 Cyclone and would like some opinions from people that do full time RVing.:cool:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, everybody here has the best truck as well.
I think that today all of the trucks are prety good.
One thing you will want to do is be sure that the truck has a gross combined vehicle weight rating is high enough for your Cyclone.
You will get plenty of opinions soon.
Oh, I moved your thread.

Peace
Dave

mobilcastle

I am not a fulltimer but I pull my 3670RL which is 16K CGVW with a Chevy 3500 dually diesel and it does a good job. How heavy is the Cyclone you bought?

happykraut

Cookie, all the other non Ram guys are just blowing smoke. I truly have the best diesel made. A Cummins can't be beat. Are we having fun yet? LOL Unfortunately I won't be seeing any of the replys because I'm leaving for a cruise in 45min.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bernie, your right about Rams blowing smoke :).....have fun on your cruise.
See ya in a couple of months.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

happykraut

Thanks, Cookie. Isn't it fun to be a little controversial every once in a while? The fun is already starting. Yes, we'll see you soon.

PUG

Pug
First of all the major three make good products. If you are pulling a large Cyclone ( I had a 3250, 18,500, triple axle) and a single rear tire was not sufficient. I went to a dually for safety and weight carrying capacity. Most people keep getting larger and larger units so just plan on going to to something larger so plan for that in your truck and save some bucks. Forget gasoline, diesel only with an engine brake. I had the Duromax and now have the Cummins which I am totally happy with. The Duromax, Cummins and now the new Ford are all great engines.

Look at the amenities inside the cab and compare to each other. I went to a short box so I could still get it into my garage. That was important to me.

1231ChaseB

Buy the truck with the Allison transmission ! There's no comparrison to that tranny, period !!!!! By the way Ford & Dodge DON'T have that tranny !
chaseb

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chase, the other 2 to have an Allison designed trans now. That started about 3 years ago. But, they are not called an Allison.

danemayer

Go beyond the anecdotal claims everyone has about their trucks. Check the specs - particularly the payload spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

A one-ton dual wheel deisel...... minimum. From there, the one that you like the best.

Sound advice, but I'll give you my track record. 6 Ford diesels, in 25 years, over 1 million miles, no major component failures. Bought my current Duramax / Allison in 07. 180K miles, same results. I love the Allison tranny, and the Duramax is the only diesel I have ever owned that does not use a drop of oil, including my wife's Mercedes diesel SUV. I just towed 2600 mi with some mountains, not a drop of oil.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is my advise. Ask a Chevy guy and he will recommend a Chevy truck. Ask a Dodge (Ram) guy and he will recommend a Dodge. Ask a Ford guy and he will recommend a Ford. Here is what I recommend...a truck that will be rated to pull what you are wanting to pull with an engine and transmission capable of doing the job. Drive the ones that will do the job and buy the one you like the best and can get the best deal with the lowest financing. You will probably trade it in 3-5 years anyway and then you will buy something else.

mobilcastle

Sound advice, but I'll give you my track record. 6 Ford diesels, in 25 years, over 1 million miles, no major component failures. Bought my current Duramax / Allison in 07. 180K miles, same results. I love the Allison tranny, and the Duramax is the only diesel I have ever owned that does not use a drop of oil, including my wife's Mercedes diesel SUV. I just towed 2600 mi with some mountains, not a drop of oil.
sounds good to me-what kind of oil do you use? Synthetic? My Duramax is new and it will be time to change it soon. Thanks SK

scottyb

sounds good to me-what kind of oil do you use? Synthetic? My Duramax is new and it will be time to change it soon. Thanks SK

I use Rotella T 15W40. My truck is a company vehicle and I can't justify running synthetics in all our vehicles. I put 35K miles per year on my trucks. My wifes GL 320 CDI runs Mercedes spec Mobil 1 (ESP Formula M), and uses a couple quarts between oil changes.

1231ChaseB

Hey Bob&Patty , I was just trying to have a little fun with the Allison tranny thing but i DID read the King of the Hill thing in some diesel forum ! It was interesting reading !
chaseb