So long Lefty

jbeletti

Well, I had suspected something was wrong this past year as I had not heard from our Heartland friend Harold Lefty Frizzell. A few weeks ago, I sent emails out to every email address I've ever had for Lefty and they all bounced. Last night I messaged Lefty's daughter Laura via Facebook.

Laura confirmed that Lefty had passed on 9-October-2011. :(

I don't know Lefty's whole story, but for those of you who knew him a bit, he was quite a character. He was a proud Veteran. He lived in a Bighorn in Virginia with a couple of beloved dogs. He lost a leg due to illness and had been working with the V.A. on a prosthetic leg. He worked on this for the few years I knew him.

Lefty had a very strong bond with his Vet buddies. One by one, he was losing them and he was really saddened over that. The last time we spoke, I think he only had one Vet pal left. Lefty was passionate about Vets and Veteran rights. He was a bit of an expert on knowing how to help fellow Vets with programs and benefits due them. Because Lefty was now disabled due to the missing limb, he was also a bit of an advocate for the disabled and he was quite learned on assistave/adaptive products for the disabled. At some point, I decided it was time to leverage Lefty's knowledge and energy to the benefit of a larger audience. I asked Lefty to create and manage our Handicampers section of the forum. He programmed it with a lot of information on products, services and benefits. I think he helped a few people with this forum. I hope this forum will be taken over by another person who is passionate in these areas.

While he worked with the V.A. on the new leg, he lived in his Bighorn and dreamed of the day he'd hitch it up to his new truck and hit the road. He did many modifications to his coach to make it more compatible with his lifestyle. He also spoke fondly of Texas and his desire to go back there. I'd hoped to meet him in Texas one day.

Lefty loved his dogs. All dogs really. I know he liked mine. He loved to watch mine on my webcam over our dogs' pen. He call me or email me if something didn't look right :) Ruby was his favorite. He noticed once that Ruby wasn't walking right. At the time, he didn't know she had a knee problem. He was so worried about her. He actually once offered to pay for her to have knee surgery. Every time we spoke, he always asked "How's my dog?"

About once a quarter, when I could spare an hour, I'd call Lefty to catch up. He told me the latest on his RV remodeling efforts. He had to rely on others a lot and he complained a lot about those he could get to do work on the RV. He loved to talk about his Vet friends. Most of the stories were sad. I recall speaking to him right after he lost one. He really sounded depressed. He'd tell me about his daughter Laura - she was the light of his life. He loved that kid something fierce. He told me he raised her. They had a special and very strong bond. He always told me what his dogs were up to.

Well, that about all I can say about my friend Lefty. He was quite the dude and he will be missed.

See ya Lefty!

527497_4630827859016_1024716940_n.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you should bring this up now, as I was just thinking, I wonder what Leftys been up to.
Thanks for the update.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Lefty will be missed as he was a great contributor to all who knew him and many who did not. His works will live on and his passing is a great loss. RIP Lefty and may God comfort all who knew him.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
So sad to hear, but the circle of life is all our destiny. I too had an email sent to Lefty bounce when I corresponded as the new Virginia Chapter Leader. Although I never met Lefty, I had a brotherhood bond with him as a veteran. Rest in peace Lefty, for you have served so well.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the update Jim. I figured something happened ,when I no longer could reach him , he had a lot of medical problems. Lefty was a great help to many and will be greatly missed , so long good friend.......Kenny

jimtoo

RIP Lefty.. Thanks for the update Jim.

One of his last post he commented he had lost his last service buddy and he was having some problems.

Hope he was brought back to Texas for his final resting place.

Jim M

Rodbuster

I was not fortunate enough to know Lefty, I wish I did, he is spoken of in a good way. My condolences go out to his daughter, his family and friends and to you Jim for losing a good friend.

Dick

wdk450

Jim:
Thanks so much for posting this, and for remembering, phoning, and caring about Lefty. He was certainly helpful to me on the forum when my wife had mobility issues.
My thoughts go out to Lefty, who gave the rest of his life in disability for the rest of us, in Vietnam. I send out a memory's rendition of "Taps" to you, sleeping warrior.

jbeletti

RIP Lefty.. Thanks for the update Jim.

One of his last post he commented he had lost his last service buddy and he was having some problems.

Hope he was brought back to Texas for his final resting place.

Jim M

Jim,

19 days after that post - Lefty was gone. I read his Facebook page and what I get from it is that he was to be cremated and his remains added to an urn that holds the remains of his dog, with room to later add the remains of his other dog who I believe is in the care of Laura, his daughter.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Lefty, I regret that we never met.

Welcome home and rest in peace.

My condolences to the family.

Trace

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sad news for sure. Thanks for the heartfelt post Jim. I had never met Lefty but had talked with him through a few PM's and e-mails.

Lefty, Thanks for your service and sacrifice and may God Bless You. Rest in Peace.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I talked to Lefty a few years ago about him starting a west Texas chapter. He wanted to host a rally in the Big Bend area but we were never able to put it together.

RIP Lefty...

porthole

Retired
Character, great description. Always enjoyed his rendition of his trials and tribulations dealing with the VA and life in general.

Perhaps Jim you can pass on to his daughter our condolences.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
RIP Lefty, Lefty I used to enjoy talking to hin on Heartland Chat I have wondered what Lefty was up to didn't hear anything from him in a while.I have miss him on the chat. May God bless you.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I never met Lefty, but I bantered back & forth with him. Rest in peace my friend. See you on the other side.

BC