New to Us

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well I finally upgraded my I-phone. I got rid of the Iphone 3 and got the Iphone 4S. I did not want the Iphone 5 because I didn't want to have to buy all new chargers (12 volt and 110 volt) as I have several. My review of my new Iphone is wow what an improvement. I love it. I was even able to keep my unlimited data plan as I have had it and am grandfathered so it stayed. I also upgraded my usb broadband device to the new MIFI device. Both the phone and MIFI are 4G and wow much faster than 3G. My service provider is ATT. The MIFI can operate 10 devices at once and since DW and I use laptops at the same time the MIFI works out great. I don't have to use the Cradlepoint router anymore to go online. BTW since my internet device is an unlimited (grandfathered) I was able to keep it too by upgrading. I love the app TANGO as it lets me do a video phone call. (My tech savoy son told me about that). Isn't technology wonderful?;)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: New to ys

Jim, who is your service provider? We have Verizon and I just got a new Razr Maxx by Motorola. (Free Black Friday at Best Buy) I had unlimited data but they don't grandfather the data pkg any longer. Now for the same price I get 2 gig. 4G is awesome too!

jmgratz

Jim, who is your service provider? We have Verizon and I just got a new Razr Maxx by Motorola. (Free Black Friday at Best Buy) I had unlimited data but they don't grandfather the data pkg any longer. Now for the same price I get 2 gig. 4G is awesome too!

My provider is ATT. Funny though as DW has Verizon and they said she would be grandfathered if she upgraded her Droid phone. Sounds to me like you got the shaft. You have to either do it at the Verizon store or with Verizon via online or phone.

Ray LeTourneau

My provider is ATT. Funny though as DW has Verizon and they said she would be grandfathered if she upgraded her Droid phone. Sounds to me like you got the shaft. You have to either do it at the Verizon store or with Verizon via online or phone.
Nope, same deal at the Verizon store except for the free phone. I even called customer service and was told the same thing. The only thing grandfathered was the voice plan for the minutes. I might try calling again and complain that I've heard of others getting a grandfathered data plan. Can't hurt to try. It may have something to do with 4G data usage??

rjr6150

Same there here. Upgraded both out phones to the Iphone 5 and lost the unlimited data plan. Have tried several times calling and even gong into a Verizon store last Friday as we are still in our 15 day trial period. All have said the same thing the unlimited data plan is gone.

jcher41

Okay, I have to ask. The thread is titled New to ys. What is ys? As far as Verizon's data plans their policy is that any change to your equipment results in you no longer being able to keep your old unlimited data plan.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I have a At&T Samsung 4G with a hotspot for up to 5 devices. 4 Gig per month. It's great.

DW has a "feature phone", (aka a "dumb phone"). She has unlimited data on her dumb phone.
As long as she keeps getting a new phone of the same, or similar type, she can keep her unlimited data plan. (So far she has still been able to find these phones) Although they will probably be phased out eventually.

If she changes to a smartphone then she loses her unlimited data. Trace

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I stopped at the Verizon store today for some clarification.
If you upgrade to a new device from Verizon they will no longer grandfather your data plan.
However, if you purchase a device, say off ebay, your good to go.
On a side note, my daughter has US Cellular and she said that they are now offering a special unlimited promo for $40.
I did not verify that.

Peace
Dave

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired

I was on the US Cellular site and they are offering the unlimited data plan for $40 to new customers with a 2 year contract and to current customers.

Ray LeTourneau

For the two years that I had the unlimited data plan, I rarely used over 1 GB on the phone. Most times I was able to connect to WiFi at a park or somewhere else if needed. I think my new 2 GB plan will do fine. I have to remember to not hook up the smartphone to my Verizon mifi though. That could be a problem.:eek: Been there done that when I first got the MiFi.

jmgratz

Okay, I have to ask. The thread is titled New to ys. What is ys? As far as Verizon's data plans their policy is that any change to your equipment results in you no longer being able to keep your old unlimited data plan.

The ys is a typo..should be us

jmgratz

For the two years that I had the unlimited data plan, I rarely used over 1 GB on the phone. Most times I was able to connect to WiFi at a park or somewhere else if needed. I think my new 2 GB plan will do fine. I have to remember to not hook up the smartphone to my Verizon mifi though. That could be a problem.:eek: Been there done that when I first got the MiFi.

We use our phone, tablet and laptop while doing our sitemap jobs and frequently go over 5 GB. We usually run 3 GB on the phone, over 200 texts (DW loves texting), 8 GB on the laptop. We have found Parks wi-fi is usually too slow or you get bumped off to work for us. Also many times we will send sales packets via email while sitting in a parking lot somewhere. So it is important to have dependable unlimited service that is secure. Also sending business emails of a confidential nature (don't want competitors knowing what you are doing) on a SECURE line is important too. BTW we did try to upgrade on Verizon and keep our unlimited plans and Verizon would not allow it. So we will keep our Verizon service as is. ATT allowed the upgrade keeping the unlimited plans. Goes to show you who wants the business.

TXTiger

We use our phone, tablet and laptop while doing our sitemap jobs and frequently go over 5 GB. We usually run 3 GB on the phone, over 200 texts (DW loves texting), 8 GB on the laptop. We have found Parks wi-fi is usually too slow or you get bumped off to work for us. Also many times we will send sales packets via email while sitting in a parking lot somewhere. So it is important to have dependable unlimited service that is secure. Also sending business emails of a confidential nature (don't want competitors knowing what you are doing) on a SECURE line is important too. BTW we did try to upgrade on Verizon and keep our unlimited plans and Verizon would not allow it. So we will keep our Verizon service as is. ATT allowed the upgrade keeping the unlimited plans. Goes to show you who wants the business.

SECURE line is important too but it is not always secure. Even the head of the CIA couldn't keep his affair secret ! ! !

jmgratz

SECURE line is important too but it is not always secure. Even the head of the CIA couldn't keep his affair secret ! ! !

When I am talking secure I am talking a password protected wifi not an open one available to just anyone. Any electronic device can be hacked as I learned while in the US Army Security Agency seeing some of what capabilities are. Nothing is totally safe and you must proceed on that premise.