Trip to Historic Areas/Washington DC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I am looking into traveling to the Washington DC area after the rally in Goshen. I found the Drummer Boy Resort in Gettysburg and contacted them about staying for a couple of weeks, which would include the 4th of July holiday. I was told that they were having a 150th anniversary celebration from the 1st of July until the 7th and the weekly rate would go from $334 per week to $654! I don't think so! I was completely floored at these prices and didn't ask what I would get for the increased prices. Even if they included free transportation to Washington and gave free tours, it would be hard to justify almost $1,000 for a two week stay.

Does anyone have another suggestion? Wanta plan a trip?

CeeCee

Jay,

If you want to see Washington, DC stay at Cherry Hill Campground in College Hill Maryland. It's a very nice campground. They have guided tours from the campground or you can drive to the metro (which is what we did) & take the train into DC very easy to do. Also they have a pet walking service. We've stayed there twice & enjoyed both times. I hope this helps you out. Cyndi

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
IF you are thinking about Gettysburg area campground, we stayed at Gettysburg Campground http://gettysburgcampground.com/. One on the owners is from TN. The cg is on the SW side of town on the edge of the battlegrounds.

The cg does have a Washington DC tour bus that comes if I remember correctly came by 3 times a week for a DC tour. It was a great tour including Arlington Cemetary, Lincoln Memorial as well as the Mall.

Westwind

I second Cherry Hill Campground also, we have stayed there overnight 4-5 different times and it's a great spot to see Washington, DC. CeeCee mentions the reasons why.
It can be a little exciting to get to but really it's not bad, typical east coast congestion. I always get a pull through because I don't want to unhitch but they have decent back in's also.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jay..do you have coast to coast or thousand trails?...both have campgrounds in the Gettysburg area....

kowAlski631

We live in the DC area. Try Duncan Family Campgrounds. It's in Upper Marlboro, MD - an easy drive into DC. They're friendly with nice facilities.

TXTiger

I hope to make it to Gettysburg for the rally the weekend before Memorial Day. I always go to Wash DC Memorial Day weekend for the Rolling Thunder - Run to the Wall (Vietnam Wall). I Am looking for a good campground to stay in nearby in MA or VA for Memorial Day Weekend. I hope to go on from there to the National Rally in Goshen. I will look into Cherry Hill and Duncan Family. Any other suggestions for campgrounds near the Wash DC area.

mikeandconnie

Third Cherry Hill. Very nice place and easy into DC via metro or tours from the park.
Easy drive and free parking at the metro on the weekend.

Last edited:

jbeletti

I've only visited the DC area once with the RV and we stayed at Cherry Hill. Worked out great. Bus stop is in the park and will take you to the train. Train into downtown daily - perfect :)

Peteandsharon

We were planning a DC trip this past summer which, unfortunately, did not happen. Cherry Hill was our intended target too. We liked the idea of the pet walking service.

wdk450

If you are a person who is in awe of the sacrifices made by our US veterans (in this case on Both sides of the Civil War) you HAVE to visit Gettysburg in your lifetime. As you walk toward the area where Lincoln gave his iconic speech you will see grave markers here and there among the named ones with "200 Unknown Union Dead" or "150 Unknown Confederate Dead". This is a beautiful old farm valley, where so much carnage happened around our nation's birthday in 1863. I have been to Arlington, to large National Cemeteries in the San Francisco Bay Area, and seen them on TV in France, that have rows upon rows of uniform white crosses and stars of David. But none has ever affected me like standing in that cemetery in Gettysburg, with the rows upon rows of concentric half circles of cement tombstones with the names of soldiers and those "unknown" groups.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are a person who is in awe of the sacrifices made by our US veterans (in this case on Both sided of the Civil War) you HAVE to visit Gettysburg in your lifetime. As you walk toward the area where Lincoln gave his iconic speech you will see grave markers here and there among the named ones with "200 Unknown Union Dead" or "150 Unknown Confederate Dead". This is a beautiful old farm valley, where so much carnage happened around our nation's birthday in 1863. I have been to Arlington, to large National Cemeteries in the San Francisco Bay Area, and seen them on TV in France, that have rows upon rows of uniform white crosses and stars of David. But none has ever affected me like standing in that cemetery in Gettysburg, with the rows upon rows of concentric half circles of cement tombstones with the names of soldiers and those "unknown" groups.

You are right. Gettysburg is a very memorable experience. When you look and think about all of the soldiers on both sides that died there in such a short time it is mind boggling. I recommend watching the movie Gettysburg prior to going to sort of get a sense of what happened there. Just think how dedicated to their cause the people were there. I mean how they marched into the guns of their "enemy" knowing their probable outcome was death.

The only other place we have visited that gives you a similar sense of doom was the Little Bighorn Battlefield. In both places you almost feel the screams of the wounded and dying.

ksmith555

We just camped in Gettysburg over the Veteran's Day weekend, we go every year. I prefer to stay at Artillery Ridge, they are the closest campground to the battlefields and one of the only campgrounds I have ever seen that let you bring your horse. I think they may have more stables than campsites :) They also seem to be the most reasonably priced. BUT next summer is the 150th anniversary and the town has been making upgrades to the roads/lodging for the past two summers...from what the locals were saying they have people booked that are coming in from all over the world. It is a fabulous place to visit, one of our favorites. There is so much to do, and the new visitors center is amazing! (right near AR also).