How do you decyper the model nunmber?

ufda

We just took delivery of a 2013 3596RE, I would like to know just what the numbers indicate, I know what the RE is, but am curious about the numberals.
On other makes one can decyper the length but I know that our 5er is longer than 35 feet.
Thanks,
Ufda

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is just a number assigned to a particular floor plan.
I haven't seen one yet that made any sense to me.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

On my NT26LRSS, 26 is about equal to the interior length so I just alway figured that is what it was, but on the four digit numbers who knows?

wdk450

I think it goes "LLFFSS" (LL= approximate length, FF= floorplan design, SS= special feature like RL for rear living room, RE for rear entry, etc.)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A 2008 and a 2010 print catalog show the 3670 as being 38'1" long. The HL website now has it as 39'5". Somehow, I don't think the numbers indicate anything other than the floorplan.

wdk450

John:
Like I said "approximate" length. Early on I was told the trailers were a little longer than the model number seemed to indicate so that rangers at government parks with length restrictions would look at the model number and admit the trailer, although it was really a little longer than that. It's all a merchandising/sales clouding of reality.

wal_mart

My understanding years ago. For fifth wheels the length number was usable living space length. For travel trailers it designated total length of trailer including hitch and bumper.

caissiel

I have been told that my 3500RL stands for a normal TT lenght of 35ft. Meaning my 5th wheel occupies same space as a 35ft TT ball to rear bumper when attached to TV. Or the lenght from truck bumper to trailer rear bumper. So my 3500RL is 39ft as measured from pin to rear bumper. So with an 8ft box the pin is approx. 4ft forward from the TV bumper. Therefore a 3500 5th wheel is approx. 8ft longer inside then the same number TT.
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

This was all broken down for us on the forum 4 or 5 years ago but I can't find it yet.//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/10972-VIN-number-explanation?highlight=serial+number+assignment
I found this.

ufda

Looks like it is anybody's guess what the model number equates to, I do know that the RE is rear entainment, as for length the HL book says our unit is b38' 9", I measured it from pin to ladder and it is ~41'. Oh well, guess it really makes no difference.
Thanks for the reply(s).
Ufda

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Then, based on the VIN decoder, my 3670 is neither 38'1" or 39'5", but only 36 ft. long.

Manzan

My 21fbs is 26'6" ball to bumper. A 22fbs is 29'7" ball to bumper so not really related to length.

Eddhuy

Last summer, a dealership owner, that has been in the business for years, told me it used to mean the length and number it would sleep. 296 was 29 feet long and capable of sleeping 6 people. He said it still applies to some of the manufacturers but not most of them. The length indicated interior length.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Looks like it is anybody's guess what the model number equates to, I do know that the RE is rear entainment, as for length the HL book says our unit is b38' 9", I measured it from pin to ladder and it is ~41'. Oh well, guess it really makes no difference.
Thanks for the reply(s).
Ufda
Just for kicks, try measuring the interior length. From front closet to rear wall.

oldmannj

The more I read this thread the more confoozed I get!! I thought I was the only one who couldn't figure this stuff out. My Trailrunner 28RKS is 33'11" overall and has a 31' box. Think Mr. Beletti might be able to shed some light here ???? ED

Speedy

Last summer, a dealership owner, that has been in the business for years, told me it used to mean the length and number it would sleep. 296 was 29 feet long and capable of sleeping 6 people. He said it still applies to some of the manufacturers but not most of them. The length indicated interior length.

So my BC 3650rl is 36'5" in length and sleeps nobody? The wife is going to be mad sleeping outside tonight in 10 above weather.

Theresau

The Big Country 3251 TS number is the most confusing to me - implies a 33 foot trailer but it's almost 38 ft. long per Heartland specs.

jbeletti

I don't think anything at all can be derived from the numeric portion of a floorplan. With that understanding, hopefully this will alleviate confusion in trying to derive lengths etc from it.

How long is a Landmark Key Largo? A Landmark San Antonio? How about a Cyclone 4100? The coming 4200?

Just some numbers and names. Always, always go by the lengths listed in the literature. King Pin on a "standard" pinbox to rear cap (outside measure) is how 5th wheels are measure. So if you have an extended pinbox or a rear ladder, those extensions would be added by you to the published length.

How a Travel Trailer is measured, I am not sure. My guess is the Ball Coupler to the Rear Wall (outside measure). But I could be wrong on this.