Volunteering with USFS

olcoon

This might be kind of early, but I thought I'd post it anyway. If anyone is looking/thinking about volunteering/work camping this summer I've got someplace for you to think about. This last summer after the Gillette & Cody rallies, we volunteered for the US Forest Service, in the Medicine Bow National Forest. We loved it! We'd go back, but one of the "rules" we made when we started work camping was, a different state every year. While there we met some awesome people, saw some of the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen, and we lived in the middle of it! We didn't have to work hard at all, as a matter of fact we really didn't work, I kind of felt guilty! If you are interested, you can PM or email me & I'll fill you in with more stuff.

Roy

aatauses

We have also volunteered in several Fed. locations including the National Park system. One area you really need to ask a lot of questions is about fitting into the site they have for you. Sometimes they are a bit small for BH, but most times a little creativity and you will fit---we have NEVER had a bad experience--all has been good. Another referance you can check is a website: www.volunteer.gov
al

olcoon

Where we were, we had room for our Elk Ridge (30') + the truck with plenty of room left over. I think the people who had been there for around 15 yrs. had a 5er that was around 40'. It was a real nice site with plenty of parking and had a fire ring& room to put up a screen house/tent.
PICT0042.jpg DSCN0887.jpg

olcoon

Jim,
Leg is coming along fine. Next visit to the doc is Dec. 17 & I should be able to start putting a little weight on it & gradually increase it. As soon as the doc cuts me loose I'm catching the next south wind to TX! I'm thinking it'll be sometime in Jan. We had our first snow flurries today, not enough to turn anything white, temp was in the 30's. We were out & about & the first thing Sally said when she saw the snow was "We need to be heading South"...she didn't get an argument out of me!!!

TXTiger

What is snow??? Temp in the 30's!!!!! I'll say its time to head south. Try Southern California. We have nice campgrounds overlooking the beach.

olcoon

Tony & Bill,
Sounds great, but...I've spent some time on the Left Coast, and if I go back it would be to N. CA. Been to San Diego, & San Francisco, & LA, too many people & way too much granola (fruits & nuts). Have to admit that the Heartlanders from CA that I've met were exceptions!!!

olcoon

Thought I'd bring this up again in case someone might be interested. I don't know if they've got the position filled or not. If you want more info, you can PM me & I'll do what I can to answer questions, or let you know who to contact.